BC for PSD ? ERDI and DR1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

40Niner

New
Reaction score
Any suggestions for BC'S for PSD would be greatly appreciated.I am considering Zeagles Ranger,Tech and 911.Until we got a grant that allowed us to get dry suits, full face masks,comm gear,etc. from DRI our equipment was really rec stuff.With our limited funding I don't want to buy a BC and find out later it was a poor choice.This has happened in past.

I took DR1 and found the class and instructor to be great.There is an ERDI training academy about 80 miles from us and I am considering this for our group for divers and shore support.Is the training from ERDI and DRI comparible?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

40Niner

Talk to some of the manufacturers or their reps in your area and see if they will send out a demo unit for you to try.

Our team uses backplate and wing setups but I know many other teams don't like these- Our folks do a lot of tech and cave diving and when we standardized over 80% of the team was already diving a BP/W. There was no compelling reason to switch and using the same gear all the time is safer.

I've done the DRI program a couple of times over the years and I'm instructor for ERDI. The programs are similar and either one would be good for your folks- particularly if the instructors know the local conditions you'll be in.

Good luck!
Tom

For the BC you have to look at the work you are going to do and what you will need. Be careful taking advise from teams as teams with different dive conditions may have differnt needs and have something that works great for them but not for you. We did the money waste thing a while back when we went on a recommendation and geared everyone with the 911 BC. After using them a short while we realized that as we wear a Pony bottle the soft backpack was not good enough for us as it caused the whole tank system to flop over, and as our standards require a harness and the BC did not meet the standard for that. We ended up shelving the works and going with a hard backplate which was both suitable for the harness and the pony.

Many teams will tell you they love the Zeagle because of their configuration and dive conditions and it works fine for them. Take a look at your diving and go from there. Don't make the same mistake we did.

As far as DRI and ERDI, DRI are the big boys..., ERDI are the new kids on the block. At the risk of sounding like someone in one of the agency bashing threads other places in the forums, a lot depends on your Instructor more than the agency.

DRI are the top dogs because they put out a good product.., if they didn't they would not be there. However I can tell you that ERDI has great material as well and divers coming out of their programs are also well trained for PSD. I have no idea as to the cost comparison between the two though

avoid the zeagle 911. I'm not sure who its built for - even tech divers usaully run from it.
There's nothing wrong with a basic, simple, rec jacket style BCD. They are usually very easy to use and maintain. Don't try to complicate it with bells and whistles and crap hanging off it that you don't need - ie the 911.
Also advise you to avoid integrated weights

I wish i had a great answer for the bcd question but as everyone say there is not one made for psd yet hollisgear.com plans release later this year of a psd bcd and the best advice i can give you if time permits it to get trained as a complete dive supervisor for psd and gain the knowledge to answer your questions thene look and find the best jacket on the market for you we use the classic scuba pro and the glide they work well not many dangles also for the money mares makes some durable and cleanable bcd good luck in your search

fyi aqualung has a psd program you can buy direct

be safe see you in the water buck@dive911.com

I just finished a class with Team Lifeguard Systems on PSD diving. Butch Hendrick is top-notch and so are his ways of training PSD divers. His company makes a BC for PSD divers that will hold pony bottles and cutting tools, and doesn't have tons of d-rings hanging there waiting to entangle you. I would suggest looking into his classes and equipment. Go to Team Lifeguard Systems - Public Safety Diving Training Equipment other Water Operations Rescue/Recovery and read about it. Your team will never be the same. ( for the better! )

I myself dont like the zeagle ranger bcd. Our team has chosen to use the Sea Tec Variable Manta. One of the considerations for this is that it comes in an adjustable size. Having 1 bcd that goes from a small person to a 2x size allows for us to not have 3 or 4 or each size bcd on hand to accomodate the divers that show up. They have held up well for us. I can provide you contact info if you would like.

Last edited:
I've been PS diving with a Lifeguard Systems BCD now for about four years. It has good lift and holds a pony bottle very well. You can mount the pony on either the right or left side. My only complaint is that the velcro to keep cutting tools in place is not good. I have lost more than one shears because of this.

40, I personally have found that the harness w/ backplate and bladder type BC's have worked the best for me. The reason is that I can modify it quickly to use for recreational/technical diving so that even when we do a "fun" dive I am wearing almost the same configuration that I wear when I'm doing a sweep in the muck. My cutting devices and safety gear are always in the same place and I reduce the chances that I'll ever reach for the wrong spot when I'm in a jam. Beyond that it lends itself to the freedom of swapping out a 55# bladded to a bigger bladder should I need it.

Just my 2 cents.

well are you diving FFM with comm the bcd is a tool like any other and should be chosen for the area you dive and where is your RAAS and how is it depolyed

as for me a jacket/ with pockets and /self deploy pony holder/FFM with comm/harness /3 cutting tool/ppe dry suit hood and gloves AND MY TEAM are the min for the job

There is not and absolute answer of a problem that changes constantly all we can do is study learn and grow. Buck@dive911.com

Back
Top Bottom