BC Fabric Coming Away At Dump Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek K

Contributor
Reaction score
While doing some post-dive maintenance today, I noticed that the BC fabric around my shoulder dump valve is coming away from the hard plastic of the valve body (see photo -- the damage is at the top of the valve flange).

The BC happens to be a Triple-L Stratos dating from 2005, but I imagine BC construction is pretty standardized.

When I stick my finger inside the bladder through the valve, I think I can feel that the bladder itself is intact -- and it's holding air. I guess the fabric that's coming away is usually bonded to the actual bladder?

I do want to fix this, since it can only get worse. Any suggestions what to do? My thought is to just cement the edge of the fabric back down to the hard plastic valve flange. What would work the best?

Attachments

• IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 57
Poke a little aquaseal around in there and press surfaces together.
Clean up any excess then screw together to replicate mating surface whilst drying.

Poke a little aquaseal around in there and press surfaces together.
Clean up any excess then screw together to replicate mating surface whilst drying.

Yeah, I was thinking Aquaseal, the Swiss Army Knife of diving. :D

It'll adhere well to the hard plastic (styrene?) flange?

There's no mating surface to worry about -- and I don't want to risk cementing the valve cover down by accident. I just have to make sure I find a way to clamp it securely while it dries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom