BC diving ID books help..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aboalreem

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for books about
marin life identification books in BC
Creature ID book in BC
Anamonies ID book in BC
Fish ID book in BC
thanks for the help

I've been looking around for one as well. All the marine life books i've looked at are small and focus on one subject, or they are as old as the hills (at the used book stores). I did see the one mentioned above by LES (Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest: A Photographic Encyclopedia of Invertebrates, Seaweeds And Selected Fishes)in my LDS, but haven't had a chance to take a good look at it yet. Its title and cover certainly suggest it is comprehensive.

GOod Luck.

I currently own "Whelks to Whales" and "Coastal fishes of the pacific northwest"

FWIW I like both though the Whelks to Whales cover alot of territory (obviously :wink: )

You'll also want Andy's first book "Coastal Fishes of the Pacific Northwest". It's a paperback and I've carried one around in my gear bag for over 15 years now. I find it to be a great resource.

If your LDS doesn't carry them (shame on them), both books are available at www.harbourpublishing.com.

Another useful book for general marine life in a variety of substrates is "Seashore Life of the Northern Pacific Coast" by N. Kozloff. It's a little textbook-ish but helps you narrow down what species you're looking at when there are a few possibilities.

Good luck!
~Michelle

jeckyll:
I currently own "Whelks to Whales" and "Coastal fishes of the pacific northwest"
I also have the "Whelks to Whales" book. I think it is an excellent first book for a diver. It gives information on lots of the common stuff you are likely to see.

A more in depth fish ID book is Paul Humann's "Coastal Fish Identification, California to Alaska", but like the title you lead you to believe, it only covers fish.

If you nudibranchs, and who doesn't like nudies, then "Pacific Coast Nudibranchs" by David W Behrens is an excellent choice. He also has a book on invertebrates which is next on my list to get.

nadwidny:
You'll also want Andy's first book "Coastal Fishes of the Pacific Northwest". It's a paperback and I've carried one around in my gear bag for over 15 years now. I find it to be a great resource.

If your LDS doesn't carry them (shame on them), both books are available at www.harbourpublishing.com.
This one also looks good Pacific Reef and Shore written by Rick Harbo who also wrote "Whelks to Whales".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom