BBC corrospondent refused permission to Cayman, goes anyway

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drew Sailbum:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3674884.stm

"British governor Bruce Dinwiddy, who has overall responsibility here, said: "There has been no attempt whatever to cover up. We had no way of telling the world how dire our position was."

Try
letting in the media!

There are still parts of Florida where residents are not being allowed in and this is normal in US disaster areas what makes this any different. The transport that brought him in could have replaced his weight with food.

Drew Sailbum:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3674884.stm

"British governor Bruce Dinwiddy, who has overall responsibility here, said: "There has been no attempt whatever to cover up. We had no way of telling the world how dire our position was."

Try
letting in the media!

Drew, thank you for keeping us informed. Most of us are concerned since this is our "playground". My heart goes out to everyone affected by Ivan.

We are fortunate to live here in the USA where we do have agencies and a government that will help us.

I think about the people in Grand Cayman everyday and hope that their lives will return to normal soon.

cdiver2:
There are still parts of Florida where residents are not being allowed in and this is normal in US disaster areas what makes this any different. The transport that brought him in could have replaced his weight with food.
And you got live shots of Florida within 24 hours. You haven't seen the BBC, CNN, ABC, NBC, or CBS on Cayman. The Cayman government has turned them away.

The media are not proposing to take up a relief flight. They fly in on their own planes, with their own supplies using their own fuel. They propose to report the story. Reporting would raise awareness. For some reason the government of the Cayman Islands refuses this.

Drew Sailbum:
And you got live shots of Florida within 24 hours. You haven't seen the BBC, CNN, ABC, NBC, or CBS on Cayman. The Cayman government has turned them away.

The media are not proposing to take up a relief flight. They fly in on their own planes, with their own supplies using their own fuel. They propose to report the story. Reporting would raise awareness. For some reason the government of the Cayman Islands refuses this.

For some reason!!!! , how about if the financial community see's the devestation they might pull there money out, if the tourists see the devestation they might take there vacation $$ somewhere else. Banking and tourism are the only 2 money makers they have in Cayman, this disaster could putt Cayman back 50 years and they are scared.

Drew Sailbum:

And just what has the heightened awareness done besides sold a story. They may have there own aircraft, fuel water etc but they still take up space and time, fill the aircraft with food water or medical personnel and you have done a lot more good than having photos on the news first. I don't need to see live shots what I do need to know is there anything that I can do, if not keep away. I was in Punta Gorda the day after Charlie (Family there) I took food, water,propane and tools helped secure things and got out. The residents were already upset at people coming around and filming. Your part of the solution to the problem or part of the problem, it is the same the world over if your not part of ESSENTIAL SERVICE"S keep out.
The British press have always had a good working relationship with the government we don't have cameras showing the other side what we are doing, ie Gearaldo drawing battle plans in the sand then CNN showing it on live TV. Where are there brains?

Do not read a conspiracy in everything you read especially in the news media. I have spent eight years in what we would call hot situations and read what the newspapers have had to say about it afterward 1/4 truth and the rest assumptions.

You did not see on US news that the only special forces allowed in Iraq in desert storm were SAS did you......why

You did not see in US news where a lot of them were given US medals by your government did you.......why.

You did not see in the US news the family's of British soldiers killed by US friendly fire did you....why

You have not seen in the US news where the US government are asking why British casualty rates are so low in Iraq are you ....why.

You don't see in the US news British soldiers training US soldiers in Bagdad in the ways to fight a guerrilla war do you....why.

If my time in the military taught me nothing else it did teach me to take with a pinch of salt what I read in the news no matter what country it is in. All media is to the right or left the truth lay somewhere in the middle.

Well, as long as there are no independent reports I am going to assume that everything the government (any government) says is a lie.

They don't want anyone in to report how bad (or not) things really are then they must not really need anything else either.

If you want people to send help, you should expect to also accept independent observers.

pipedope:
Well, as long as there are no independent reports I am going to assume that everything the government (any government) says is a lie.

They don't want anyone in to report how bad (or not) things really are then they must not really need anything else either.

If you want people to send help, you should expect to also accept independent observers.

Either you did not read my last post or you did not understand my point,my fault. I will try to make it easier
NEWS=BUSINESS=SENSATIONALISM=MONEY news is a by product.

If we all had your level of cynicism against authority then we would not believe moderators say we would want a independent body

cdiver2:

For an average person it seems to be the right way of thinking but anybody who thinks knows it's a false way of thinking. As a journalist I have to defend my profession. First of all our duty is to report, question the official version of what happened, and very often alert the public opinion. If not us how would you know what took place in several catastrophes? Thinking your way journalists should in fact leave Iraq and simply start fighting. But then you wouldn't know what is going on there. Do you listen or watch news? Somebody has to do them, they are not made by themselves.
In your other post you said media = money. Do you know that news are in every media organization unprofitable????
Profits are made on other activities not news - these are cost makers only - check the financial statements.
Anyway do you know that BBC is not a profitable organization - it's mainly sponsored by the British government?

OK I've covered some of the worst events of the last 15 years. What you are saying in fact offends my colleagues and my work. And I'm proud of it.
Mania

mania:
For an average person it seems to be the right way of thinking but anybody who thinks knows it's a false way of thinking. As a journalist I have to defend my profession. First of all our duty is to report, question the official version of what happened, and very often alert the public opinion. If not us how would you know what took place in several catastrophes? Thinking your way journalists should in fact leave Iraq and simply start fighting. But then you wouldn't know what is going on there. Do you listen or watch news? Somebody has to do them, they are not made by themselves.
In your other post you said media = money. Do you know that news are in every media organization unprofitable????
Profits are made on other activities not news - these are cost makers only - check the financial statements.
Anyway do you know that BBC is not a profitable organization - it's mainly sponsored by the British government?

OK I've covered some of the worst events of the last 15 years. What you are saying in fact offends my colleagues and my work. And I'm proud of it.
Mania

Why all the news stories I posted are not shown in the American news media I am not saying the American news media are the only ones, they all do it.

when the Russians shot down the U2 and the president made a promise to the American people that this would never happen again he was right. What he or the news media never reported in the American news was that they gave the planes to the RAF and had them fly there missions for them then they would share the information.

I'm sorry you and your colleagues are upset but I call it the way I see it. I get also get upset when the news reports things that I TOOK PART IN and the news is nothing like what happened

Back
Top Bottom