Bay Ronto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi
I will be in Venice Fla. The first week in Aug. I have a charter to the Bay Ronto. Would any body like to enlighten me as to what to expect? Will a skin do for this dive? I will be staying north off Venice. What is the take on doing night shore dives? I like night diving. It’s another world.

I want to give thanks to all the divers on this board. I wish I could add something. But I’m a new diver and it would only be my opinion.

I can't tell you anything about the Bay Ronto but the last ime that I dove Venice the water temp was around 88 degrees so I don't use one at all but if you are more comfortable with something covering you for protection then a Skin should be fine. Give us a better date as to when you'll be in Venice and I'm sure if us locals are available you can "talk" us into joining you at are ususal spot for some Shark Teeth.

Wildbill:cop_2:

My trip plans for Florida. I’m going to do Crystal River Friday July 30. I will be in Venice on Saturday afternoon July 31. I have a charter with Florida West Scuba for Sunday August 1 Bay Ronto and on August 3 Shark Tooth dive. The rest of the week, I will be shore diving. Has anybody shore dove along Casey Keys? There is an inlet and a park at the South end. Don’t remember the name of the park. I was going to try that area for shore diving.

Thanks for the help.

Also called the "The North and South Jetties" is where you are talking about. I grew up in the area and have never done any diving at the jetties. I would not totally exclude as a good place to dive but if you are looking for teeth your best bet is to be about a mile or so south on the actual island of Venice. Take US 41 further south and head off to the right as you near Venice this will also be the Business 41. Cross over the bridge, (Look over to the right at this point and you will see Florida West Scuba.) Turn right at second light which will be Venice Ave. Go to the next Traffic light at the Public Tennis Courts and turn left. At the 5th street on your right make a right and follow it to the end and this is the most popular site that we all here at Scuba Board use. It's referred to as the Alhambra Site 'cause it's at the end of Alhambra road. :wink: Florida West Scuba can give you other directions to the the Pier and Casperson's which is actually futher south down the road that you turn on at the Tennis Courts. I might be able to make a dive at the Alhambra site on the 31st, we usually get there around 8-9ish 'cause of the usual afternoon rains. However in Florida you never can be sure as I writting you this it just started pouring down rain :zap1:

Wildbill:cop_2:

Miller:
Hi
I will be in Venice Fla. The first week in Aug. I have a charter to the Bay Ronto. Would any body like to enlighten me as to what to expect? Will a skin do for this dive? I will be staying north off Venice. What is the take on doing night shore dives? I like night diving. It’s another world.

I want to give thanks to all the divers on this board. I wish I could add something. But I’m a new diver and it would only be my opinion.

The bayronto is a 300 foot ship that sunk in a storm in the 1910's. It lies upside down in 114 feet of water, 37 miles from shore.

The shallowest section of the wreck is around 75 feet, but you will not see anything unless you get down to the bottom.

The vis in the gulf has been running low below the thermocline at 70 feet, thus expect to have bad vis.

A skin would be OK, but I wuld wear at least a 3mm and gloves. Bring 2 nice lights if you want to go inside. The wreck is almost split in half and there is always several very large jew fish around the split.

Up inside the bow you can located some very nice spiny oyster shells. Bring a blunt knife and a goody bag. Once cleaned up they make a nice decoration.

Thanks for the info and direction to the beach. I will check it out, when I get there. But it will be after 1pm Saturday (July 31). How late do you all dive? Do you swim out to the river bed? I hope the water is clear. The last few times I have been down. It was zero visibility. Well, maybe not that bad. I only get down once a year. :06:

Thanks all.

Miller:
Thanks for the info and direction to the beach. I will check it out, when I get there. But it will be after 1pm Saturday (July 31). How late do you all dive? Do you swim out to the river bed? I hope the water is clear. The last few times I have been down. It was zero visibility. Well, maybe not that bad. I only get down once a year. :06:

Thanks all.

If you don't mind me asking, how much you paying for the charter to the Bayronto? I have been wanting to dive it.

The Bayronto is a nice dive. I was on it in March of this year. There is a great deal of info on it in Mike Barnette's Shipwrecks of the Sunshine State, and a nice article by Mike in the current issue of Wreck Diver magazine.

I went to the Bayronto 6/27 with Florida West, the cost was $100.
It's about a 2 hour ride out to the wreck. The weather has to be perfect to go.
The nice thing is Steve will let you do your own thing, if he knows you.(been there 7 times) I bring my doubles and O2 and average an hour plus a dive with deco. Max depth 107'
There was a thermocline at 57' and dropped the temp to the mid 70's at the bottom, was glad I had brought my 3 mil for the 2nd dive.
It's a big wreck with a lot to see outside ( I picked up about $100 of stainless fittings off anchors on my first dive) and you can penetrate the wreck it several places.
Like Curt said I have picked up several nice shells in and around the wreck.(lion's paws, helmets, coury, spinny oysters and others)
After the first dive I returned to the boat to find that one of the divers had found a powerhead, bright and shinny. Not knowing what it was he took it out and proceeded to tap it against his hand. Steve saw this and quickly averted a bad situation. It was loaded (.223) , pin removed and safety off.
I will go to Batronto every chance I get.

Scott

Thanks for the great info Scott. I went by the LDS to buy a 3M suit. All they had were Henderson in the $175 to $225. More then I want to pay. Do you think a 5M would be too much? Most of my diving is in cold dark lakes. So I don't really need a 3M.

Thanks to all. This will be my first open ocean dive. So I don’t expect to get a lot of bottom time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom