Bay in Gökova, Turkey - abundance of Sandbar sharks? info.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Byzantine84

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has dived in the bay of in Gökova near Mugla with the Sandbar sharks. I heard that the area was a protected reserve where all access was prohibited until recently. Are there any operators in the region or does anyone have any useful information? I searched on the net but was unable to find any useful information.

I would love to dive here as I've heard Boncuk is one of the best places to see sandbar sharks on the med.

A video for those interested:

Video - ÇEVRE - Jaws Marmaris'te - Gökova Körfezi, Boncuk Koyu'na her sene belli dönemlerde Kum Köpekbal

Hi,

This is late as I've just read the previous message.
Turism in Boncuk Koyu is open again but there is no diving allowed except for snorkel diving. There were no Sandbar sharks visiting us in 2011 which is quite unusual. Part of the bay is buoyed to indicate the restricted area. It would be nice to see the sharks back in 2012. We are updating and repairing the present facilities in the bay over the next 3-4 months to make the visitors' experience more pleasurable in the 2012 summer season.

Back
Top Bottom