Bauer Varius

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So i have put on a new 1st stage 8 bar relief valve and it is still blowing off. Checked inlet valves on both stages and they seem fine and have inspected for cracks and cant see anything. I had a bauer compressor tech take a look and he couldnt fix it . Pity you cant do a compression test on the stages to see if there is a leak. Has anyone seen a similar problem?

So i have put on a new 1st stage 8 bar relief valve and it is still blowing off. Checked inlet valves on both stages and they seem fine and have inspected for cracks and cant see anything. I had a bauer compressor tech take a look and he couldnt fix it . Pity you cant do a compression test on the stages to see if there is a leak. Has anyone seen a similar problem?
No expert but if the first stage relief is blowing off I would suspect one of the second stage check valves are bad,...
That cylinder doesn't empty enough to take in the low pressure air. So that would be the outlet valve....
Or depending on how much air is leaking.
The inlet check valve is not holding and the higher pressure is leaking back towards the first stage....

If it was me I would remove the lines to the second stage and back pressure with shop air and a rubber tip and test the check valves.

Thinking about this.
I suspect the 2 stage outlet, because it sounds like you can still fill tanks..

I got these
001.jpg

through internet FOI
002.jpg

trouble is
003.jpg

half of the I is half redacted

Thanks for the info happy . I have replaced 8 bar safety valve and now the issue is the third stage. I have air entering the cylinder ok as when i remove the 80bar safety valve 2nd i have good pressure but nothing exiting the third stage. the piston and sleeve seem good when you take it off and block the end of the of the cylinder with your thumb it doesnt seem to leak . The Valve seems to work ok when you blow air into the intercooler port so it must be making it to the piston . Also it doesnt make that knocking noise on start up .

Thanks for the info happy . I have replaced 8 bar safety valve and now the issue is the third stage. I have air entering the cylinder ok as when i remove the 80bar safety valve 2nd i have good pressure but nothing exiting the third stage. the piston and sleeve seem good when you take it off and block the end of the of the cylinder with your thumb it doesnt seem to leak . The Valve seems to work ok when you blow air into the intercooler port so it must be making it to the piston . Also it doesnt make that knocking noise on start up .

Sound like you'll need a new 3rd stage free floating piston and sleeve, when you take the 3rd stage apart, see if the free floating piston moves inside the sleeve freely, it should be able to move its own weight slowly inside the lubed sleeve. If it needs to be forced past any hinderence in the sleeve you'll have to replace piston n sleeve. Buying used just means that you will end up with the previous owners problem, and yes it's a common problem.

Michael

Hi Michael,

I will try this but i had a Bauer tech look it over and i think he did the same thing and said it was fine. He couldn't fix it. 3rd stage and sleeve was replaced a few years back and if i had to do it again it would be scrap. When i put the 3rd sage piston and sleeve back in what should the position of the piston be? all the way out?

Doesn't matter where the piston is.
Blow air into the 3 stage inlet port,,
If it builds pressure the air can't get out... outlet check in wrong???
If air is going into the case... piston seals???
Double check the check valve directions...
Seems like they are in wrong... or seized.
Any stage if you blow into the inlet it should blow out of the outlet... at least you know its plumbed and check valves are in properly...

A compressor is like an engine... it needs to breathe properly...

I just got a Varius dirt cheap and apparently works although I haven't fired it up yet. Does anyone have an operating manual they can share? I found the parts breakout, but nothing with goes over preventative maintenace, or filter stuff. Anything would be helpful. Otherwise I just use a manual from one of the newer models. They can't be that different.

Back
Top Bottom