Bauer or Coltri?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in Zanzibar, we have a Coltri MCH-13. The pressure maintaining valve needs to be checked daily. The filter needs careful eyeballing and near constant attention. All the other shop owners running Bauer are happy as clams and have not a bad word to say. I think the reliability and feature set of Bauer compressors are worth the added cost!

As the title reads, would you recommend Bauer or Coltri?
This is to be used in tropical, warm and moist places for a shop. Looking at 200l/min options. There is a 35% price difference!

It may be that there is a 35% price difference because of the availability of service. What I've noticed about air compressors is that the up front cost is nothing compared to getting parts for it. A number of years ago, CocoView Resort bought a pair of Chinese knockoffs of an already outdated Ingersoll Rand design, with full warrenty and the whole 9 yards. Paid less than half that they would have paid for a new Bauer of the same pressure and flow. When it came time for the service, they had to ship them back to China (literally, from Roatan to China for service) for valve service, etc. Now, you may think that losing your compressors for a number of months and incurring shipping costs from Roatan to China is a good deal, but I'm not so sure.

Short story is, both Bauers and Coltri's are good units, but it's the after installation service that will make a difference to you. I am a Mako fanboy, mine have treated me very well, but I wouldn't recommend them for Bali, or any other kind of out of the way place as far as compressor parts go. You can have Bauer parts shipped in from 20 places in the world to Bali the next day. YMMV.

It may be that there is a 35% price difference because of the availability of service. What I've noticed about air compressors is that the up front cost is nothing compared to getting parts for it. A number of years ago, CocoView Resort bought a pair of Chinese knockoffs of an already outdated Ingersoll Rand design, with full warrenty and the whole 9 yards. Paid less than half that they would have paid for a new Bauer of the same pressure and flow. When it came time for the service, they had to ship them back to China (literally, from Roatan to China for service) for valve service, etc. Now, you may think that losing your compressors for a number of months and incurring shipping costs from Roatan to China is a good deal, but I'm not so sure.

Short story is, both Bauers and Coltri's are good units, but it's the after installation service that will make a difference to you. I am a Mako fanboy, mine have treated me very well, but I wouldn't recommend them for Bali, or any other kind of out of the way place as far as compressor parts go. You can have Bauer parts shipped in from 20 places in the world to Bali the next day. YMMV.

You'll shoot your self in the foot if you buy anything other than Bauer.

I love this kind of question. It rates right up there with "PADI or NAUI?" or "Scubapro or USD?" You are going to get opinions that vary all over the board and most are worth exactly what you paid for them.:wink:

I have been selling both Bauer and Coltri for a LONG time (I started in 1983) and EITHER will service you if you perform the required maintenance and address any issues as they arise.

You are sure to get horror stories from lots of members here and on other boards about how their compressor failed them in the past or didn't last or made stinky air etc. etc. etc.

Being on the service and sales end of the compressors I can say without hesitation that a HUGE amount of compressor problems are self inflicted. And I have not seen any more problems of one brand over another (percentage wise).

My suggestion is always the same ... find a compressor that exceeds you needs (allows you to grow into it), has a good support network for repair parts, is simple to work on and is within your budget.

Here is the main difference in the two brands and this is fact, not opinion! Coltri uses splash lubrication on their compressors where bauer uses a pressure lubricated system (75psi oil pump). Opinion: A splash lubrication system might work well on a single cylinder lawn mower engine that is worth $200, but would you run a multi cylinder configuration without priority pressure lubrication? Just some random thoughts from an idle mind....

We have a Coltri. It's got about 500 hours on it. It's had several issues. If it were up to me, or if we had a time machine, we'd go with a Bauer.

What do you think about water traps on Coltri stock units when used in hot climes?

For hot and humid climates, Coltri has the Tropical version (which, by the way, has an oil pump). Basically, they pulled off the filter tower and put a low pressure moisture separator in it's place so that all three stages have water traps.

I've looked at Tropical + versions and wouldn't go with anything if going the Coltri route. This also means a special order is requires and the lead time is minimum 3/4 months...

---------- Post added August 11th, 2013 at 09:33 AM ----------

Read 3 or 4 not 3 quarters

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom