Bauer K15 Auto Dump - help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neutrino

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi all,

Thank you in advance for your time.

I have just got a new to me Bauer K15 with auto dump. I have ordered the components to built my fill station, which will have upto 8 whips, so for the meantime only have three whips coming off it.

Now it does't take very long to fill three tanks but the only time I hear and see the auto dump go off is when the compressor shuts its self off at 3400psi. I kept the tanks rolling so the compressor didn't shut off and got to 25 min and it still didn't dump. Do you think something is up with he analog timer?

I am sure it is not a good idea for the compressor to turn on and off every 15 minutes or so an would imagine it would be more efficient running constantly and rolling the tanks (2 on, 1 off - switch to 1 and then reload the other two and open)

How can I go about checking this? I would also like to add a couple of override switches. One to disable the auto dump when using my omni-booster as the gas will already be dry and the second to manual fire the auto dump so I can dump early on the really humid days.

I have attached some photos below of the electronics. I hope I have made sense too.

Thanks
Rich

Bauer1.jpgBauer2.jpgBauer3.jpgBauer4.jpg

The device that controls your moisture dump can be seen in pic #3. It is a simple timer that keeps the solenoid energized until a dump cycle, where it briefly cuts power to it. One knob controls the duration of the dump and the other controls the time between dumps.

If you want to disable it, the easiest way is to remove the screw in the plug at your solenoid (in pic #4) and disconnect. Get a 110v plug and use some jumper wires to power the right and left terminals (middle / top terminal is ground). This will keep the dump valves closed until you unplug it from the 110v supply.

Thanks for your response Kwindham. I will look into doing this. I have a clearer idea of what is going on now - i just need to poke around with my multimeter. So all the solenoids and the timer runs off 110V AC then rather than low voltage DC?

Cheers
Rich

Hi Rich
You have the older dump system may be about 20 years old.
On each of the 2 gold valves on photo 4 is a manual drain tap you also will have a manual drain tap on the final seperator before the filter system. So you can manualy drain system if the auto dumps fail.
When system is running under load no power feed is to the unloaders.Power feed to unloaders makes them work & un load.
[Kwindham ] Power to solenoids keep them closed WRONG.Power opens them
110v/AC May be

I think is best you look on the solenoid look for a sticker.
It will state voltage it may be 100v/Ac also it may be 12v/Dc or 24v/Dc or some other voltage.
Or you can check with your multi meter.
Better you check this out before you shove 110V/Ac at it then to find out it 12V/dc & blown to bits.

I cant help with photos 1 2 & 3 Looks to be system not bauer euro may be its bauer usa.

You say your auto dumps work when compressor stops.
Do the fire straight away or do the fire about 30 seconds after compressor stops ?

Some solenoides when you make or break power either make a click sound or with your hand on it you can feel it work.
The type of solenoide you have both these quick checks dont work.
Easy way to check is take coil unit of 4 screws.Then make/break power the piston will move in to coil with power feed.
I try to do this in side a clear poly bag.To make sure nothing gets lost.
Pm me if you want parts list for this old type unloader system.

Before i get loads of pm
Yes most unloaders work. Power to coil to close them & make air.
The type Neutrno have work other way
Unloader are closed & open with power.

Hope this helps

Hi Windyairman,

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty tied up teaching at the moment but will be around the compressor tomorrow late afternoon.

When the compressor stops (3400psi) the dumps kick in straight away - there is no delay. If I switch the on/off switch on the compressor to off the dumps kick in. Should I try and turn the compressor off from the breaker to see if the dumps kick in?

So, on my system, the solenoids should have no power to them whilst the compressor is running and then to dump power is applied to the solenoids. This should be managed by the timer in picture 3? (i.e. power off for 15min and power on for 6sec.......)

Cheers
Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom