Battery Connection Spring Broke!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goldenwar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

i'm using a light that requires four 18650 batteries, and springs that connects battery to the powersource(?) are flat.
KakaoTalk_20180818_220049937.jpg KakaoTalk_20180818_215148638.jpg KakaoTalk_20180818_220100138.jpg

first i thought as i tighten them to the bulb , i thought the batteries would reach but they don't
i tested by
only put two batteries onto flat springs->no light
only put two batteries onto working springs->light comes on
i guess the light doesn't require all 4 batteries to be working but if i use the light with just two batteries, i don't see the point of having 4 batteries light.

i tried to pull the spring but i dont want to pull it too hard since it might break permanently.
i guess i can aluminum foil but is there any other method?

thanks.

More batteries in parallel the longer the light lasts.

Just use a pick and try to pull the springs out.

Be very careful about soldering onto any kind of rechargeable battery, especially lithium. They are not meant to be soldered to, and you may cause an internal breakdown, resulting in simple failure, or fire. The "correct" process is to tack weld nickel battery strips onto them, the tiny flash of heat from the weld won't hurt them.

The light probably uses 2 sets of cells in parallel, to double the run time or double the available amperage, which could limit brightness as well as run time. They could just use 2 larger batteries but 18650's are common and cheap.

You might try getting some *brass* kitchen scrubbing pads ("Kurly Kate") in the supermarket, and sticking a bit inside the existing springs, to give them a little more "meat". Just a little, so you don't short anything out. Copper would work but will corrode faster. Stainless would work, but it doesn't conduct as well. So, brass "wool" or curly if possible.

Be very careful about soldering onto any kind of rechargeable battery, especially lithium. They are not meant to be soldered to, and you may cause an internal breakdown, resulting in simple failure, or fire. The "correct" process is to tack weld nickel battery strips onto them, the tiny flash of heat from the weld won't hurt them.

The light probably uses 2 sets of cells in parallel, to double the run time or double the available amperage, which could limit brightness as well as run time. They could just use 2 larger batteries but 18650's are common and cheap.

You might try getting some *brass* kitchen scrubbing pads ("Kurly Kate") in the supermarket, and sticking a bit inside the existing springs, to give them a little more "meat". Just a little, so you don't short anything out. Copper would work but will corrode faster. Stainless would work, but it doesn't conduct as well. So, brass "wool" or curly if possible.

thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom