Battery charging question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I am using my Powerex 2700 mAh AA's for primary use, and Energizer 2500's for backup at this time. I have heard the siren call of the Eneloops and all the rest, but then I got to thinking... These all seem to have a lower capacity, which means less usable time underwater. And, the Powerex cells do deliver the juice at high rate when needed, and always last me for at least 2 dives. They go on the charger after that, and then back in the camera within a matter of hours. So why am I whining about poor shelf life? (I usually use these in situations where power for the charger is readily available, and if I had to charge them and then hold them for several days before use, this would be a considerably different issue.) I have only the fast charge option with the Powerex charger, (other than that conditioning cycle I mentioned earlier)so putting the cells on a trickle charger is not a real option. Although...it does appear to go to a trickle charge after the charge cycle is finished, and recommends that new cells be left on charge at least overnight to maximize capacity, so...:confused: Oh well, you can make yourself crazy (crazier?:439:) obsessing over details like this. I am still curious about that conditioning cycle, however, and wonder if anyone has experience with it and can tell if it does any real good? Woody

A conditioning cycle is usually a complete dump of the charge and then recharging... Every so often, I have seen a batter that would not hold a charge well, actually recover from doing this.. normally that is not the case. But if you have an issue, it is always a good idea to try it first, before throwing away.

Most chargers go to trickle charging automatically...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom