Battery Charging Bench Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Ploegert

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
We own a rental house in North Central Florida's Cave Country we have set up to cater to cave divers. Our battery charging bench (see previous posts) had its first use last week when 2 cave divers stayed here for 8 nights. There was more than enough room on 1 shelf of the 3 shelf bench for all of their chargers and batteries, and they used only 6 of the 17 outlets available. Even though their transformers blocked 2 of the outlets it seems like the bench could easily accommodate at least 4 cave diver's battery charging requirements. But, I'm not sure I learned enough to know where to permanently install the plug strips and GFCI breaker. I think on top of the hood would work but am asking for suggestions; where would you cave divers like to have the plug strips if you were using this charging bench?

John

Attachments

• Andy Tony Blue Springs Dive 001.jpg
    Andy Tony Blue Springs Dive 001.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 155
Cell Phone
Primary
2-backup lights
2 Computers
Potentially scooter
Potentially camera

I'd either wall mount or shelf mount normal wall outlets. Would make it bulkier since you'd essentially have to make a 2x4 box to mount it in. Put say one in each corner, then a row of 3 in the middle or something. That way the big block chargers are on their own plug and not blocking others, get maximum use out of available plugs. Other option is to use a squid type power strip, but I'd still go with wall outlets on the shelf if given the choice. Great idea though.

Thanks for your comments; they are helpful. A question: I understand carrying 3 lights; is it common practice to have to recharge all 3 each night?
John

Not necessarily, the prinmary is usually rechargeable the two back ups usually non... There is much debate on that though.

ya, the backups are usually not. Mine are, if I'm using them as backup. For sidemount they're on the whole dive, so I use rechargables. Mine are just AA batteries though, and the chargers are wall warts. Sucketh... but I use said batteries for the camera and what not too. I just know I have to bring a bunch of strips because a lot of my chargers take up quite a few spaces each, and I'd rather have a few dedicated wall sockets than strips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom