Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvanant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Nice article, Bill. One thing that I've found critical is the resistance to failing while idle. I tried several NimH brands and invariably found that if I left the batteries unused for more than a month or so, they became worthless. I would always lose one or more batteries per trip and often had to check them with my pulse load tester before diving. Since switching over to the eneloop type, I've stopped having that problem. Maybe, if you charged the batteries to full, left them for 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks and retested them under the same parameters it might be useful as well.

Nice article, Bill. One thing that I've found critical is the resistance to failing while idle. I tried several NimH brands and invariably found that if I left the batteries unused for more than a month or so, they became worthless. I would always lose one or more batteries per trip and often had to check them with my pulse load tester before diving. Since switching over to the eneloop type, I've stopped having that problem. Maybe, if you charged the batteries to full, left them for 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks and retested them under the same parameters it might be useful as well.

That is a thought but in the real world this test took the best part of a year and I would rather go diving. One interesting thing is that if you use the LaCrosse battery charger, it will recondition cells that won't initially charge at all. I have been able to rescue some cells that I thought were totally dead.
Bill

That is a thought but in the real world this test took the best part of a year and I would rather go diving. One interesting thing is that if you use the LaCrosse battery charger, it will recondition cells that won't initially charge at all. I have been able to rescue some cells that I thought were totally dead.
Bill

Thanks Bill,

Your post reminded me that I have the LaCrosse charger in the closet, so I took it out and I just put in some "dead" cells in the refresh mode. Hopefully I can recondition at least some of the batteries.

Happy Holidays,

Bob

Merry Christmas to all

Thanks Bill,

Your post reminded me that I have the LaCrosse charger in the closet, so I took it out and I just put in some "dead" cells in the refresh mode. Hopefully I can recondition at least some of the batteries.

Happy Holidays,

Bob

Don't get concerned if it takes a week to get them back in shape.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom