Batteries...Whats in your light????????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whalerkyle

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey everyone, I have a few battery questions. With your cannister lights, HID or Hal, etc. What battery packs do you use? What types of batteries make up your cannister pack?. Nimh. Nicad. Lead-Acid.

What MAH are your cells if you use Nicad or Nimh.

What chargers do you all use?

Can you list me your specs..........example, my light uses 8 cells, 4400 mah Nicads, 30 watt Halo bulb, 1.5 hour burn time.

Thanks for everything!

Kyle

whalerkyle:
Hey everyone, I have a few battery questions. With your cannister lights, HID or Hal, etc. What battery packs do you use? What types of batteries make up your cannister pack?. Nimh. Nicad. Lead-Acid.

What MAH are your cells if you use Nicad or Nimh.

What chargers do you all use?

Can you list me your specs..........example, my light uses 8 cells, 4400 mah Nicads, 30 watt Halo bulb, 1.5 hour burn time.

Thanks for everything!

Kyle

Dive Rite MLS-1 Canister Light with MR-16 Light Head.

50Watt MR-16 bulb
Lead Acid Battery - 12 Volts 7ah
Charger is whatever came with it

Runtime in excess of 40mins (haven't had a through chance to test runtime, except 2 40min back to back dives, where it didn't dim at all, but had at least 10mins of not running per dive.)

Sealed lead acid batteries offer the advantage of no memory as do NiMH. With either you can top them off without having to fully discharge them like you have to with a conventional ni-cad.

My OMS Phantom will give me around 40 minutes at 50 watts, a little over an hour at 30 watts and an hour and a half to 2 hours at 20 watts with an 8 Ah lead acid rechargeable battery. Extra battery packs are pretty cheap to make if you make them yourself. The three 2 volt batteries required are available commerically for very low cost as are the connectors. This makes it easy to have a fresh battery for each dive.

The newer OMS lights use a no memory ni-cad but I don't have any direct experience with it.

10W HID, 4AH SLA battery pack (2 2AH batteries in parallel)

Roughly 4 hours of burn time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom