Batch renaming in Photoshop 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well one naming convention for database files is the first initial of each word and the last of the last word and then whatever... heheh.. I have yet to follow it as it takes a little getting used to.. but something like this for:
Mukilteo Oil Dock would be modk040608_01.psd

heheh.. like I said, it'd be nice if I followed it, but it's short and to the point.

still haven't found that other thread... still looking..

See, that what I mean...that looks like some secret serial number or math code. I'd never remember that initial for each work thing, no way!

Think this would work? Sounds simple enough I could remember it.
I'm thinking since I don't get to take frequent dive trips, I'll sort the pics by subject. That's usually what I'm searching for. I can remember a certain grouper shot, or visualize a wreck silhouette but can't remember which trip I took it on. I've already renamed some of the trip folders, such as RT02 for Roatan 2002, so if those pics are sorted I just need to go to the grouper file to find what I need and the file prefix will tell me which trip it was on. For future pics, I'll leave the camera file name and add the trip prefix, such as RT05510384, save in .psd, then put it in the right subject file. That way all file names will be different and I won't have anymore grouper10's! Easy to retrieve to process.

LOL... yeah, yeah, yeah.... (smiling at the naming delema as I have the same problem)
Well I told you what I SHOULD be doing, now I'll tell you what I do..
mukilteo oil dock on June 8, 2004 effectively becomes:
MukOilDk040608_xx.psd

I try to keep it in the Location files as I do site Websites and it would be helpful if I posted pictures from that site....

But you're right in thinking of grouping by subject... I would suggest that you let an organizer do that as the subjects usually have more than a title can describe.. like brown grouper large cozumel may01 etc... that way you can search all or just one part of it...
The down side is that it has to be done.. heheh.. and there's the rub.. in actually doing it.. I have an organizer an have yet to use it properly... so,you're probably right Dee.. heheh.. I'll have to sleep on that one... but an "RT05510384"would bug me for life in trying to figure out what in the heck does it stand for...

Also, be aware that the camera probably has 2 settings in the internal file naming format... I accidently over wrote a set of files as the camera used the same names and photoshop just blew out the previous ones. There's a setting (in the 4040 anyway) to use same name or unique (or something like that).. just be aware...

LOL...well RIGHT NOW I know what RT05510384 means! I have a demo program called Portfolio I'm playing with that Leesa recommended. It will do some amazing things but I haven't figured out very much of it yet! Figured I needed to work on some sort of consitant naming system first.

We'll both have a big laugh in a couple weeks when I can't find $hit!

On the 4040 and 5050, in the settings folder, set the All reset to OFF. If not, it uses the same file names and when you d/l the pics, you'll over ride the first ones. I've lost some really cool shots that way.

Dunno if this will help at all but I have started using the right click in windows to add info to my images. I find that I take so many images of a subject - say, octopus - that naming the file is only slightly helfpul and having a date in the name not really much use for me. Being able to add details helps me find say octopus vertical Blizzard bumpy blue background close up siphon...or whatever. I only add the extra info to particular images as I work on them and it makes it way easier to search for things. This works for me as I often need to find a particular creature in a particular scene or behaviour. Might be more than one needs for a lot of stuff. Ones that don't get special treatment still get put in their proper files in the corresponding folder according to creature etc...

I still have my original folder, my psd folder and an adjusted folder. Not the neatest I am sure, but it is working really well for me and has at least halved the time I spend looking for stuff.

Of course, now I have to deal with all the previous "systems" I have tried before and get them all in the new one - but I will get there!

alcina:
Of course, now I have to deal with all the previous "systems" I have tried before and get them all in the new one - but I will get there!

That's where I am now!

I didn't know you could right click in Windows and do that. What version of Windows do you have? WinME doesn't seem to give me that kind of options.

The Portfolio program Leesa told me about is supposed to do all that sort of thing. You can assign key words and search your files in several ways.

We'll both have a big laugh in a couple weeks when I can't find $hit!...

Heheh.. don't feel like the "Lone Ranger" I feel that way now..
I have cumulus organizer, but think Adobe Albums might do the trick also, there's free trial download 30-days you might take a look-see...

and the sad thing, the more pics you take , the worse it gets...
Muuhahahahaaaaa ;-))

Yes, most of the Photo/gallery programs have great search capabilities.. It's just sitting down and doing it... and finding the one that looks the easiest..

Dee:
That's where I am now!

I didn't know you could right click in Windows and do that. What version of Windows do you have? WinME doesn't seem to give me that kind of options.

The Portfolio program Leesa told me about is supposed to do all that sort of thing. You can assign key words and search your files in several ways.

I have XP. I haven't looked at the Portfolio program...I am sure it is great, but this seems to be working for me at the moment and I so do not need one more program to learn!!

The way I do it is in Window Explorer I select an image and then right click...you should get a properties screen and on the top is a tab that says Summary. The you can choose Advanced (where the EXIF data is) or simple, where you can enter whatever you want. Don't know if ME has this...seems like a great feature to me!

Looks to me like the browser in PSCS has something similar you can tailor...not sure about PS 7, but it might be worth a look.

No, ME is different. I've only got General and Summary. BUT my laptop has XP on it so I'll check that out. I'm finding more and more reasons to upgrade this box to XP. Only hangup is an old program that I use all the time that won't work on XP...I've tried!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom