Basking Shark 7/24/2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim See

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After one nice dive on the outside of the reef in front of Butterfly House, Dara, myself, Peter and Adeline decided to head out to the trench to look for the Blue and Humpback whales that have been reported lately.

Instead at about 3,000 feet we came across a sea lion eating a Mola Mola, very cool. None of my pics turned out hopefully Peter's did.

After a couple of hours of searching for whales we ended up heading towards Moss Landing where we saw a glimpse of a whale making a dive. I started scanning the radio and heard about 3 Basking Shark sightings near Pt. Pinos so I hit the throttle and headed over. Fortunately for us we did find one Shark. For the first 15 minutes or so there was a large Whale charter and a sailboat besides ourselves. After the Charter headed back to port the sail boat and our boat were alone with the Shark for about an hour and a half!!!!!!!!!

A number of times he came right up to both boats the entire experience was amazing and made the horrible Laguna Seca traffic completely worthwhile.

Hope you enjoy.

Cheers

Lucky Ducky!

Did you report your sighting to the Basking Shark Project?

The Wildlife Trusts Basking Shark Project
I quickly filled out the form and sent it in.

After chatting with a couple people that dive a lot in Monterey, they said they have never seen a basking shark. What an awesome day! Hopefully we get to see some whales this weekend, which is what we were after that Sunday.

Cool sighting. Thanks for the report and for sharing pics of the basking shark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom