Basic Training + Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... thank you Captain Obvious ... that's exactly the point. So why risk putting oneself into that situation?

The guy gets to the point of being out of air only by not monitoring his gauge. He's managed to ignore all the buddy communication to that point. He didn't mention the turn pressure, he didn't mention half tank and he didn't mention Low on Air (50 BAR for us Metrics). The guy's a douche. Slack air monitoring is all that is in your example.

Diving thirds works, if you don't mind ending the dive with a third of a tank. Not the optimal approach ... and normally intended for overhead diving.

Not quite, Split the tank in 3. 1/3rd out 1/3 back 1/3 for ascent & safety stop

The guy gets to the point of being out of air only by not monitoring his gauge. He's managed to ignore all the buddy communication to that point. He didn't mention the turn pressure, he didn't mention half tank and he didn't mention Low on Air (50 BAR for us Metrics). The guy's a douche. Slack air monitoring is all that is in your example.
I'm not quite sure who you're referring to here. You really do appear to be trolling for an argument. Not gonna waste my time.

Not quite, Split the tank in 3. 1/3rd out 1/3 back 1/3 for ascent & safety stop
That is not the rule of thirds ... and if you're shore diving, your return IS your ascent.

It's rare to see someone argue so vehemently in favor of ignorance ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sorry, I wasn't clear- rushing to get my reply in before work. I was referring to myself with little experience or knowledge of what to expect realistically planning a dive (didn't want to get my tables out but sigh, hah). For example, planning a dive:

50ft dive for 41 minutes ATB

Someone planning this that has no relative or real experience on how much PSI that would roughly take*

If I work with an AL80, 3000PSI and be a "good student" trying to return with 500PSI I then have 2500PSI for my dive. If I agree to using thirds, based on my 2500PSI model of air I really should be using that means 833.3_ is available (lets be conservative, round down to 800). Mathematically from what I understand, that's 800 descent, 800 bottom, 800 ascent (this is probably wrong so please correct me but, it will work for my point however). I don't actually feasibly know if I can safely get down to that depth that I've planned and stay there for the time I planned, thus it will result in me turning early (according to dive plan) to end the dive, based on my pressure gauge or doing something I'd personally never do, and be reckless and keep the dive going. This isn't including halving the entire formula for diving with a buddy.

I guess that's my motivation to want to learn what I consume so that I can try and plan dives early on that are realistic and feasible to gain confidence in that skill (dive planning). Given that I love water it isn't a huge deal to swim around at different depths to get a feel for what I consume via PSI so that I can eventually plan closer to what I will be able to dive. Until then I literally do have to wing it and possibly not accomplish anything closer to the deeper end of things based on just trusting my eye on the SPG rather than enjoying the dive and glancing at it maybe less often because I know that what I've planned will be feasible. The way I'm understanding a SPG at this point is that it's there to really monitor air and make sure you'll have enough to dive your plan, not to specifically plan your dive. I just don't feel I have enough experience as of yet other than to create a turning point I'm comfortable with as is my buddy and follow that during a planned dive that had a goal to see something at a specific depth for a planned time.

I think the only solace in feeling so ignorant right now is I have yet to learn this sort of dive planning and get a true feel for what my pressure gauge is doing while I dive. At this point I have to truly trust those around me with experience and follow them blindly and depend on myself only to call it quits based on what I need to make it to the surface in an emergency.

I'm not quite sure who you're referring to here. You really do appear to be trolling for an argument. Not gonna waste my time.

You're failing to see the irony in replying to my every post.

That is not the rule of thirds ... and if you're shore diving, your return IS your ascent.

It's rare to see someone argue so vehemently in favor of ignorance ...

To be honest this is my view of yourself. I freely admit to using both SAC's and basic dive planning in my diving. Whereas you are arguing that there is only one way to dive. That is ignorance. I accept the use of other methods you are not.

My example stands for the shore dive, if you missed you turn point you would ascend directly earlier than planned, i.e not in the shallows at the shoreline. And look at my profile to see where I dive. I dive in areas that have steep drop offs straight from the shore.

Your logic for SAC's breaks down outside of a square of profile. Show me how you would work a multilevel wall dive at a unknown site and I will accept your logic.

---------- Post added February 10th, 2013 at 10:43 AM ----------

If I work with an AL80, 3000PSI and be a "good student" trying to return with 500PSI I then have 2500PSI for my dive. If I agree to using thirds, based on my 2500PSI model of air I really should be using that means 833.3_ is available (lets be conservative, round down to 800). Mathematically from what I understand, that's 800 descent, 800 bottom, 800 ascent (this is probably wrong so please correct me but, it will work for my point however). I don't actually feasibly know if I can safely get down to that depth that I've planned and stay there for the time I planned, thus it will result in me turning early (according to dive plan) to end the dive, based on my pressure gauge or doing something I'd personally never do, and be reckless and keep the dive going. This isn't including halving the entire formula for diving with a buddy.

Not quite. The first 1/3rd of the tank is descent and bottom time, the 2nd is for returning to the ascent/descent point use the final 1/3rd to ascend. This is not the rule of thirds, this is splitting the tank into 3 sections of the dive.

1: Down and out
2: Return
3: Up

The key thing is when you reach any point in the tank, you adjust the plan. It won't fit exactly to the dive site, but it will be a model of best fit.

This plan works for anybody, I use it for students and for guided diving, where you are constantly presented with the unknown. Imagine a scenario where you are given an instabuddy on a dive trip who knows nothing of SAC's. How do you plan the dive together? Do you guess an arbitrary SAC based on a few minutes talking or simple set a basic dive plan which can be followed by checking each others air periodically.

I guess that's my motivation to want to learn what I consume so that I can try and plan dives early on that are realistic and feasible to gain confidence in that skill (dive planning). Given that I love water it isn't a huge deal to swim around at different depths to get a feel for what I consume via PSI so that I can eventually plan closer to what I will be able to dive. Until then I literally do have to wing it and possibly not accomplish anything closer to the deeper end of things based on just trusting my eye on the SPG rather than enjoying the dive and glancing at it maybe less often because I know that what I've planned will be feasible. The way I'm understanding a SPG at this point is that it's there to really monitor air and make sure you'll have enough to dive your plan, not to specifically plan your dive. I just don't feel I have enough experience as of yet other than to create a turning point I'm comfortable with as is my buddy and follow that during a planned dive that had a goal to see something at a specific depth for a planned time.

Zack as newbie diver you will be paying attention to your gauge with an almost OCD like compulsion. It's a natural evolution until your SAC starts to drop. There's nothing wrong in this, we've all done it
Your Gauge is not there to tell you you have enough air to dive your plan. Your gauge is there to tell you if you have reached your Air turning point before your time turning point. The point of dive planning is to set both, otherwise there will be an accident.
You are not trying to complete the dive plan at all costs. If I plan a 50 minute dive to 18metres, it doesn't mean I'm going to necessarily dive to 18m, it means the maximum depth will be 18 metres. Similarly with time, I may decide to only do 40 minutes. The key thing Is I planned a dive to remain to within the NDL and I didn't exceed the plan.

I think the only solace in feeling so ignorant right now is I have yet to learn this sort of dive planning and get a true feel for what my pressure gauge is doing while I dive. At this point I have to truly trust those around me with experience and follow them blindly and depend on myself only to call it quits based on what I need to make it to the surface in an emergency.

Your instructor has no doubt taught you hand signals and how to communicate your tank contents by now? He/She will help you plan the dives. In PADI OW courses students are not required to have timing devices, so your instructor could be the only one timing the dive. In this instance you are forced to reference your gauge as there is not point trying to count seconds in your head. Respond to what you SPG is telling, tell your instructor. They want to see that you are paying attention and not just looking at the fish. They are evaluating to see if you are safe to dive under your own steam. If you allow yourself to run out of air waiting for the instructor to tell you to turn, have you achieved this?

Whatever failings PADI courses may have around the world, their modular instruction methods is not one of them. Yes SAC dive planning is not included in the PADI rec courses, and only briefly discussed in the Deep Dive Specialty. Is PADI wrong in the approach. I'd say no, I agree with the teaching system. It may not be taught properly by some people, but that is not because the materials are lacking. SAC dive planning is in the PADI model and at a higher level, and I'm happy with it's position.

Last edited:
Wart ... if you want to say your way works for you, I have no issue with that. But that's not what you've said ... it's not even what you said above (reference your "this works for anybody" comment in the previous response).

It doesn't work for anybody.

What you've described above is a boat dive profile. Your method doesn't work for shore dives, or dives where the diver has to deal with current.

Furthermore, I see nothing in there that talks about how much gas to reserve for a dive buddy, in the event of emergency.

If you want to use rules of thumb, it's a good idea to understand when they work, how they work, and when it's prudent not to use them.

You've asked me to explain how my system works for certain scenarios. I have ... it's in the article on my website, and has been widely circulated here on ScubaBoard since 2004. Perhaps you should read it before dismissing it as rubbish.

You've made the claim that PADI's rigid set of rules is sufficient for all divers ... and that using only what they teach is sufficient for anybody. And yet, every year, worldwide, hundreds ... if not thousands ... of divers run out of air underwater. Logically, since PADI certified the majority of divers worldwide, it would stand to reason that the majority of those events happen to PADI-trained divers. Fortunately, most of those OOA events are managed by a dive guide or dive buddy experienced enough to get them to the surface safely. Many result in divers not being injured, but being so traumatized by the event that they quit diving. And far too many lead to a death or injury.

With rare exceptions, every single one of those occurrances are completely preventable.

When you see that number drop to zero ... or somewhere close to zero ... then I'll accept your viewpoint that OW divers don't need better gas management skills. But at this point in time ... looking at it from a worldwide perspective ... the reality doesn't support your position. If it did, all those people wouldn't be running out of air during their dive.

(Added for clarification): I should also point out that this is not a PADI issue. Over the years since I first published that article several PADI instructors have requested ... and received ... permission to use it as part of their recreational level training. I know several PADI who are active on ScubaBoard who either use my material or have produced similar of their own. So not all PADI instructors feel that this material is superfluous.

What it often boils down to is how the instructor views the training standards ... whether they see them as the least they can teach or the most.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited:
(Note -- I've written several responses to this thread and deleted them all. I really don't want to get into the discussion twixt NWGD and Wart but I just can't not any more. Both Wart and Bob mistate what I believe is "the PADI way" when it comes to dive planning and air supply management. The following is my understanding on the issue.)

a. What "is taught" by a PADI instructor may well be different from what:
1. "May be taught" in any particular class; and/or
2. "Should be taught" in any particular class!
As a result, when someone writes "This is what PADI teaches" it demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the system for:

1. PADI does NOT teach anything; and
2. Instructors are seldom, if ever, reviewed for what they actually teach.

Question: Does PADI have "air supply management" within its basic open water recreational instructional materials?

Answer: YES (but....).

Discussion: From Chapter One in the Open Water materials, the issue of "How long does a tank last" may be, should be?, discussed. This was mentioned in a recent PADI Undersea Journal training tip article (I know it was because I wrote the article). In addition, there is a specific question on this point on the Open Water Final Exam. IF the student does not really understand the issue, it is solely because the specific Instructor opted not to flesh out the issue.

In addition, IF, as is now more often the case, the Instructor opts for the "computer based model" then the student is instructed to use the PADI Computer Dive Simulator and go through the various scenarios. One of those scenarios is described as "air limited diving" where the notion of SAC rates is raised and the simulation shows how air supply will be the limiting factor on just about EVERY "basic open water dive." Again, IF the Instructor opts not to flesh out the information presented, that is the Instructor's decision even though the information is there and is waiting to be presented and discussed with the student.

To go back to the OP's opening post, how much dive planning should be taught at the Open Water level? My answer is "not too much" -- enough for the student to understand it is an issue, that it can be learned and that dive planning is more than "be back on the boat with 50 bar."

As far as dive planning education PAST the Open Water level, there is absolutely no reason why every PADI Instructor isn't teaching a full set of dive planning, gas management and nitrogen loading, in classes such as AOW, Nitrox, Deep and Rescue (to name a few). It is my personal belief that any instructor, PADI or otherwise, that does not teach these things is doing a significant disservice to his students.

I guess that's been my pickle from the start. I'm the odd man out of most people who look at rec level diving for vacation who wants these questions answered sooner because I feel diving will be a long term hobby that I'd love to learn from and understand completely which is why I'm asking questions that appears to be outside of the initial ow course curriculum. Ho hum, ill ask questions that I feel appropriate during class, continue learning both through extended courses and through everyone here. The prevailing feeling aside from varying styles of thought seem to be that if you're serious about diving, it's something that needs to be learned. Shame PADI doesn't have a homework/ recommended reading list for those looking for education past the vacation level. Loss in profits I guess given these are answered in their extended programs. I feel like I should be paying everyone knowing that :p I am grateful for your assistance!

I guess that's been my pickle from the start. I'm the odd man out of most people who look at rec level diving for vacation who wants these questions answered sooner because I feel diving will be a long term hobby that I'd love to learn from and understand completely which is why I'm asking questions that appears to be outside of the initial ow course curriculum. Ho hum, ill ask questions that I feel appropriate during class, continue learning both through extended courses and through everyone here. The prevailing feeling aside from varying styles of thought seem to be that if you're serious about diving, it's something that needs to be learned. Shame PADI doesn't have a homework/ recommended reading list for those looking for education past the vacation level. Loss in profits I guess given these are answered in their extended programs. I feel like I should be paying everyone knowing that :p I am grateful for your assistance!

I think you'll find that any fairly decent instructor -- with PADI or any other agency -- will be quite happy to point you in the direction of further reading. And, the argument in this thread aside, I can't see any harm in learning more than what's included in your OW course, provided that you understand that a) some dives are best left until you've had formal training to conduct them safely and b) a lot of the learning comes from practical experience (diving and practicing skills) rather than any reading.

261311:

If you want a more in-depth, broad-spectrum didactic diving instruction, consider the NAUI Master Scuba Diver course manual. It's pretty well-written, covers a range of topics (including pressure/volume relationships via gas laws, discussion of sea conditions such as chop, waves, currents, etc...), and should appeal to you. It's not in ridiculous depth, but from what I've heard the NAUI Master Diver course was designed to teach the info. an instructor would know, minus that related to teaching.

Whether you ever take the course or not (I have not), the manual is a good one.

Richard.

Gotta agree with the recommendation for the NAUI manual. I use it with Graver's Scuba Diving, the NOAA manual, and a few other sources for my Advanced Course and the SEI Master Diver class.

I also strongly feel that every OW diver should have a copy of the SDI Solo manual. All of these have some of the most valuable, and IMO essential, information for new divers. And it's presented in a way that doesn't insult the intellgence of the reader, use poorly drawn cartoons, or is filled with BS advertising for more courses.

I also provide a pretty long list of recommended reading material for new divers that includes all of the above, plus some other tech sources, NW Grateful's website, and Scubaboard as essential reading.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom