Basic point and click/small camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shocked

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

So, my wife wants a small camera to basically keep in her bc pocket and pull out if she decides she wants to take a picture. She has resisted any camera for years so this is a step towards me not getting called over for pics :wink:

On a recent trip one of the people on the boat had a Canon D30 which she liked. What she liked was that it was super small (basically a point and click with no housing) and actually took some decent pics/video. The guy that had it was saying that it is rated to 82 feet but he has had it to 100 with no issues.

When I got home and started looking I see that the D30 is discontinued and people want almost the same price as new for a used one. So, I am thinking, why not just get a new camera.

Next, I saw the paralenz.. it looks small and has decent video. My wife stated she doesn't want to swim around with a "selfie stick" and camera on her dives. Any thoughts on this?

The tg-5 says it only will go to 50 feet.. if the 50 feet is accurate that would not work anyway.

What do you guys suggest? The goal here is compact and easy to use. She is not trying to win any contests with her pics. I suspect a main goal is to be able to ask what something is when we get back on the boat.

Thanks in advance!

SeaLife Micro 2.0 is sealed, rated to 200 feet (60m) and generally gets good reviews, but costs $500. The previous model, Micro HD, has been discontinued, but looking at Ebay, it seems some stores are still selling old stock for about $320.

The SeaLife Micro 2.0 is the easiest, least expensive way to go new. The Olympus TG-5 with the Ikelite or Olympus housing would be a nice camera but would run you $700-750. How about used?

The SeaLife Micro 2.0 is the easiest, least expensive way to go new. The Olympus TG-5 with the Ikelite or Olympus housing would be a nice camera but would run you $700-750. How about used?

Well, once we start sticking cameras in housings then they no longer fit in the bc pocket. I am not as concerned with price as with compact. I will go see if any of our dive stores have the sealife micro 2.0 in stock and see how it is in person.

Thank you

I have a nikon coolpix w300. Rated to 100 feet. I've been happy with the pictures I've got out of it, takes good video, etc. It's ~$300, size of a normal point and shoot, etc.

First, the Micro 2.0 is a great camera - if it fits your needs, go for it.

But here a couple of other options from Intova. I just checked their website, and it doesn't include ANY cameras anymore, just accessories. Doesn't surprise me, there has been a lot disruption with that brand over the last few years.
If you are interested I do have a few Intova Sport Duo cameras. VERY basic, rated to 100', only $40. But you will NOT be making posters from this image quality. I consider this a kid's snorkeling camera.
I also still have a Sport 10K for about $100, which is a nicer option. The camera itself is waterproof to 10', with the included housing it is rated to 140'. Depending on the BCD, I could easily see it fitting in the pocket. A little wider and a little narrower than a Micro 2.0.

PM me if you want to follow up on more details.

Well, once we start sticking cameras in housings then they no longer fit in the bc pocket. I am not as concerned with price as with compact. I will go see if any of our dive stores have the sealife micro 2.0 in stock and see how it is in person.

Thank you
You're right, when I first started carrying a small compact camera (Canon or Olympus), it was just clipped off and I only retrieved it to take pictures.

First, the Micro 2.0 is a great camera - if it fits your needs, go for it.

But here a couple of other options from Intova. I just checked their website, and it doesn't include ANY cameras anymore, just accessories. Doesn't surprise me, there has been a lot disruption with that brand over the last few years.
If you are interested I do have a few Intova Sport Duo cameras. VERY basic, rated to 100', only $40. But you will NOT be making posters from this image quality. I consider this a kid's snorkeling camera.
I also still have a Sport 10K for about $100, which is a nicer option. The camera itself is waterproof to 10', with the included housing it is rated to 140'. Depending on the BCD, I could easily see it fitting in the pocket. A little wider and a little narrower than a Micro 2.0.

PM me if you want to follow up on more details.

Intova seems to be closing up shop. I had an Intova Nova HD that I lost on a Lake Michigan wreck 6 weeks ago. I replaced it with the same model off eBay for about $90. Love that little camera. Rated to 300ft. Big buttons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom