Basic mask, fins, snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sparrowdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all! This is my first post here; I've been trying to read and assimilate all the information but these are absolute newbie questions. :dork2:

I've wanted to try diving for a long time, and while I was on vacation in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico last week, I tried a resort course -- so, a couple hours in the pool and then one OW dive to a nearby fairly shallow reef. It was amazing. I've decided this is something I want to do more and also that I need to work on basic fitness first.

So, I need to get a mask, fins and a snorkel. I'd like to use them in the gym pool for some basic exercises (and already called to ask if they allow that; they do). But I'd also like to be able to use them for diving eventually, though I plan to rent other equipment for a while since I'm on a limited budget.

Is there any way to check performance without taking the gear into the water to try out? What should I look for at the LDS? The mask I had on vacation ended up letting a fair bit of water in, and I spent a lot of time clearing it. How can I check for good fit on land?

Any newbie pointers appreciated :)

You will need to take the mask and put it up to your face and breath in through your nose and hold. If it stays and you dont feel or hear any air coming in then it is a good fit. After that you also want to check how close it is to your eyes. Have fun the earth is 70% water, Its a Divers World.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom