Basic gear from the Hungarian People's Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On now to diving masks made in the Hungarian People's Republic. We'll begin with a rough English translation of some text on the Hungarian Diving Museum site at :::... Magyar Búvár - Múzeum ...:::: "(During the early 1960s) there soon began small-scale production, mostly in the yellow livery of the FERUNION Foreign Trade Company, or hidden in a black case, of robust divers’ knives with aluminium handles, spearguns, “S”-shaped snorkels with plastic barrels and ping-pong ball valves, weight belts with wire buckles, followed by capillary depth gauges. The FERUNION range also featured, for example, “Carib”, “Profilux”, “Major Special” masks, “Gaston” snorkels, or “Sport”, “Sirene”, “Balaton” fins."

The quotation above refers to three models in the FERUNION Foreign Trade Company range of diving masks, namely the "Carib", the "Profilux" and the "Major Special". I can't find any further information about the "Major Special", but illustrations of the other two models appeared on the sides of a cardboard box containing a diving mask in a recent online auction:
View attachment 450217View attachment 450218
The first image shows the "Profilux" while the second illustrates the "Carib". This mask carton is my sole source of diving mask imagery for the FERUNION range. Let's take each model in turn.

View attachment 450219
2351 Lido: Appears to be a frameless oval diving mask where the lens is retained solely by a groove in the skirt. Adjustable strap with twin buckles.

View attachment 450220
2352 Tata: Metal clamp with top screw holds oval lens in place. Adjustable strap with twin buckles.

View attachment 450221
2353 Carib: Metal clamp with top screw holds oval lens in place. Adjustable strap with twin buckles.

View attachment 450222
2354 Marino: Metal clamp with top screw holds oval lens in place. Oval lens. Corrugated compensator bosses to aid ear-clearing. Adjustable strap with twin buckles.

View attachment 450224
2535 Kingston: Cressi Pinocchio lookalike with nose pocket for ear clearing. Split strap with twin buckles.

View attachment 450225
2536 Profilux: Comes with drain valve and strap buckle adjustable at the back of the head.

I have several more pictures of one of these models, the "Marino", which I will post in my next message.
This Profilux mask looks almost identical to the Swimaster mask from the original Swimaster company in California.

SeaRat

This Profilux mask looks almost identical to the Swimaster mask from the original Swimaster company in California.

SeaRat

Well, I'll be... I'm sure you're right, John. This from the 1962 Swimaster catalogue:
WideViewMask.jpg

Here's the Profilux for comparative purposes:
2356_profilux-png.450225.png

Caption in the Taurus flyer: "2536 Profilux: Comes with drain valve and strap buckle adjustable at the back of the head." The two distinctive features of the Swimaster Wide View Mask. They do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and there are many examples of design copying within diving equipment development, most notably the number of Cressi Rondine fin clones launched on the market over the years.

Thanks for pointing this out, John. It all goes to prove that equipment manufacturers in mid-twentieth-century Eastern Europe were more aware of product trends in the West than we realised at the time.

I also noticed the mask is a exact copy of the Swimaster/Voit wide view mask

FYI

Swimaster was founded and owned by Arthur (Brownie or Bud) Brown.
Swimaster was originally located in Laguna canyon (a canyon leading into Laguna beach) until late 1950s then it moved to Huntington beach, California .

Brownie was very innovative; products were the Duck feet, Wide view mask, the Life guard CO2 inflatable float, and a one piece shorty foam exposure suit. The Swimaster products were unequaled and the choice of serious diver of that era, especially the Duck feet and the Wide View mask

He was too early in the market place and struggled to remain a viable company.

Late 1950s or very early 1960s he sold to Ken Norris who owned Pacific Molded Products who was better equipped to produce his molded products. Art Brown then disappeared into the dust of diving history

Ken hired Harry Vetter (LA Co UW instructor & NAUI Instructor) as Marketing and Product Development Manager At that time a number of very minor changes were made to the mask .

(http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/socal/256511-harry-vetter.html)
(#4http://www.internationallegendsofdiving.com/FeaturedLegends/Harry_Vetter_bio.htm) (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gr...-fyi-~~naui-50th-anniversary-celebration.html)

Ken entered into a license agreement with Willard Voit who had just moved from LA to Santa Ana, California, about a mile south of Warner Avenue where US divers had also relocated in August 1960.

The mask became know as the 'Swimaster Voit mask' or the 'Voit Swimaster mask'-- depending who you chatted with.

The rubber molding took place in Voit's facility but the hand finishing of the mask -- the application of the foam rubber was at the Newport Divers supply in Orange California, owned by Joe Lamonica, of JBL spear gun fame. At that time several other modification took place-- the skirt was redesigned and reduced in size for even greater visibility, a nose pad for ease of equalizing was added and a new compression skirt was added.

Its design weak spot was the mask attachment and a single two piece strap with adjustment in the back, Many modifications to the strap were designed and developed in SoCal garages - some were improvements, others disasters .My mask strap was always a work in progress.

The mask, because of its labor intensity to produce, became expensive and non competitive in the market place and was being phased out -- and it was !

The question is how did an exact copy of the Wide View mask migrate to a land locked country in Europe? .

I suspect we will never know..

Sam Miller, III

Post script
Voit was acquired by AMF (American Machine and Foundry) remained in business for a short time before closing their doors.
Willard Voit passed away many years ago but his children and grandchildren are alive and well in Orange county California

Harry Vetter was a early LA County instructor and was a member of the staff of the first NAUI instructors course held in Houston Texas in August 1960 and has the distinction being the oldest and with NAUI Instructors # 4 has the lowest number of any NAUI instructor alive.

After service in the USAF during Korea I returned to Long Beach where I began instructing with Harry at the Long beach YMCA in preparation of becoming an LA Co UW instructor, NAUI, PADI etc etc..This has been a friendship that has remained intact for over 60 years

Harry moved to Oregon entered the Antique business. We remained in contact via visits, letters, e mails and telephone conversations, the last telephone conversation being about 3 months ago, since that time I have been unable to reach him, since he is 88 I some how suspect the worse.

Those of you who have access to Skin Diver magazine, check out the last page - you will see a young Harry holding up a lobster, caught during a meet of our club , the Southern California Skin Divers club meet-- Also on the same page is Charlie Sturgil who made some of us a Sturgil diving mask along with his young daughter Lora Lee who later married Bobbie Mistral of Body Glove.

Allover the magazine is Jack Waite who was our diving buddy until his untimely death 40 years ago

Recreational diving was indeed a small world during its geneses

SDM

Last edited:
I have one of these Swimaster masks, and have rebuilt the skirt from wet suit material. It sort of fits, but I took it into the pool a few weeks ago. I had a great experience, as this was an easy mask to fit and also cleared very easily. It doesn't have as good a "wide view" as my current mask for free diving, but it is very good, and the ear clearing using the mask pad is also very good.

Dr. Miller, thank you for the history concerning this mask.

SeaRat

Thanks to John and Sam for their interesting and informative input.

1962_page_3-jpg-448917-jpg-448922-jpg.449334.jpg

On now to the second of the Hungarian People's Republic masks on the Taurus flyer (above), the model named "Modell", which is the German and Hungarian word for (what else?) "model".

Modell mask
1d22cd2696ff74a6e411218d3b9589f9c-jpg.429595.jpg

2b249d66a6aa50f07d6e02601fced6868-jpg.429596.jpg

238f222404a2d8a7a7ea97564a71f403d-jpg.429597.jpg

The caption for this mask on the Taurus flyer reads: "Modell. Two sizes. Window fixed in metal frame. With nosepiece."

Like the "Taifun", the "Modell" mask originated in the German Democratic Republic (East Germany), where it came in green and black versions sporting a top screw:
guwelin-maske-taifun66-jpg.429599.jpg

The distinctive feature of the "Modell" mask was its compensator bosses allowing the nostrils to be squeezed for ear-clearing purposes. This feature was found on many Soviet masks, such as the Glubinka, which is still on sale in Russia and Ukraine as an item of diving nostalgia:
dod502-f-93-700x700-jpg-406358-jpg.429601.jpg

Compensator bosses for diving masks were invented by Georges Beuchat, who ran a very successful diving equipment company in the French Mediterranean port city of Marseilles. Here are his patent drawings published in 1960:
Patent.jpg

We'll move on next to the "Kompensator" mask, which was also first introduced in the German Democratic Republic (East Germany).

Thanks for the diving mask history site suggestion, dead dog. I first came across DaleC's site a few years ago when it was recommended to me on the Vintage Doublehose Forum. It's good to be reminded about this excellent contribution to the history of diving equipment.

Here are two rather scary photos of me in my Swimaster Wide View Mask in the pool yesterday.

40918238222_b545866053_b.jpg

40250873224_4cf1efd0ac_b.jpg

I put a new skirt of neoprene on this mask, and it doesn't fit quite as well as the original, but it is very easy to clear the mask of water. Clearing my ears is okay at 15 feet in the pool, but not quite as easy as my oval mask with nose access, or my more modern masks.

SeaRat

Last edited:
Those are two scary pictures -- sure happy it is not in the dark of the night with lighting flashes and thunder clapping...

There were several factory modifications over the years - but the mask APPEARED the same...

Yours appears to be a mid production model -- It has the elongated screws on the side and a clearing pad. Later models did not have the screws and the nose pad was installed when Joe began producing the mask for Voit

SDM

Back
Top Bottom