Basic gear from mid-twentieth-century Italy: Other manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the likes, Sam and Jale. And thanks to WeRtheOcean and dmaziuk for their contributions.

Today's topic is the Aquatic range of fins. Let us begin with the Nettuno, which may have been the earliest model, appearing as it does in both Fabio Vitale's round-up of 1950s fins and the 1958 Rex-Hevea catalogue.
upload_2021-5-23_9-40-32.jpeg

NETTUNO AQUATIC. Modello a scarpetta e con pala inclinata e paripunta è realizzata in gomma nera . La punta della scarpetta è chiusa ma presenta due finestre laterali per alleggerimento. Sono ambidestre con numeri dal 38 al 46.
AQUATIC NETTUNO. Black rubber full-foot model with symmetrical inclined blade. Though closed-toed, foot pocket has two side openings for the sake of lightness. They fit either foot. Sizes 38-46.
1024px-Sousse_neptune.jpg

800px-Neptune_-_Voyager_2_%2829347980845%29_flatten_crop.jpg

"Nettuno" is Italian for "Neptune". The name neatly combines the classical mythology of the ancient Roman god of fresh and sea water with the modern astronomy of the eighth planet from the Sun. As for the fin itself, it is noteworthy that the fin is made of traditional rubber instead of Marvil plastic and that it has a sandal design heelpiece with cut-out sides.

The 1958 Rex-Hevea catalogue contains a similar entry for the Aquatic Nettuno:
Italian: "NETTUNO AQUATIC: di tipo pesante, a scarpetta e con pala inclinata e paripunta è costruita in ottima gomma nera su disegno sobrio e moderno; la punta della scarpetta è chiusa ma l'alluce vi si può stendere liberamente per la sua comoda forma: è inoltre alleggerita da due finestrelle laterali. E' ambidestra e, pur non essendo galleggiante, è morbida e leggera e quindi sarà apprezzata anche dai ‘ nuotatori. Calzate: 38/40, 41/43, 44/46."
English: "NETTUNO AQUATIC: heavy type which shoe and inclined flipper, equal points, made in excellent black rubber of severe modern design; the tips of the shoes are closed but their commodious form allows the full extension of the great toe: its weight is reduced by two lateral openings. They are interchangeable, though not floating, are soft and light and will therefore be appreciated by swimmers. Sizes: 38/40, 41/43, 44/46."
My translation: "AQUATIC NETTUNO: Non-floating type with a full-foot pocket and an angled symmetrical blade made of highest-quality black rubber in a sober modern design. Although the foot pocket is closed at the toe, the big toe can stretch freely thanks to its comfortable shape. Side openings for sake of lightness. They fit either foot. Though non-floating, they are soft and light and therefore will be appreciated by swimmers too. Sizes: 38/40, 41/43, 44/46."

The Aquatic Nettuno also appeared in the 1957 catalogue of the International Divers Corporation (IDC) of Canada:
upload_2021-5-23_10-49-17.png

The sandal design of the Aquatic Nettuno was far from unique in its time:

Match Super fin made in France:
super2-png.501838.png

An early version of the A6 Voit Viking made in the USA:
04-jpg.501841.jpg

The Desco Continental made in the USA:
desco-jpg-479421-jpg.501842.jpg

The Florida Sandal made in the UK:
florida_sandal-png-479419-png.501843.png

and the Kent Submarine made in France:
15-jpg.501845.jpg

And there we shall leave proceedings until midweek, when I shall focus on another member of the Aquatic product family of fins. Stay well and safe until then.

The side stroke was my late father's favourite swimming stroke too. I've read somewhere that the side stroke actually also had a racing version, the trudgeon, named after its inventor. In the early 1960s, I was never taught side stroke during swimming lessons at my secondary school, which had its own pool; just crawl, breaststroke and backstroke. The butterfly/dolphin stroke was confined to members of the school swim team.

One of the downsides of competitive swimming is that competition has hastened the decline of strokes that don't necessarily deliver the racing speeds that contest organisers and spectators have come to expect. Outside a swimming pool, manoeuvrability and endurance are just as important, or even more important, life-saving/swimming/snorkelling skills that ought to be developed for their own sake, regardless of velocity.
As I recall my Red Cross swimming classes, and I was in the early 1960s a swimming instructor, the trudgen crawl was still being taught. I'll have to look up some of my old books to see, but I do distinctly remember the trudgen crawl stroke.

SeaRat

As I recall my Red Cross swimming classes, and I was in the early 1960s a swimming instructor, the trudgen crawl was still being taught. I'll have to look up some of my old books to see, but I do distinctly remember the trudgen crawl stroke.

SeaRat
Trudgeon style is regularly taught here in Italy in courses for getting the certificate as "assistente bagnanti" (lifeguard), which is the required certification for working as a lifeguard either in pool or on the beach.
During the exam for such a lifeguard certificate, you have the choice of using either Trudegeon or "head-up crawl" during the phase of approaching a casualty, swimming from shore to him while keeping eye contact.
As my previous athletic activity was water polo, I did prefer the head-up crawl during the exam. But people not having played water polo, usually prefer Trudgeon.
The Italian Swimming Federation (FIN) also organises a number of "savage swimming" competitions in which Trudgeon is one of the allowed styles.

The American Red Cross book I have is Swimming and Diving, 1938. The other book is then Aquatics Handbook, by M. Alexander bGabrielsen, Betty Spears, and B.W. Gabrielsen, Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1960. Both talk about the Trudgen stroke, and the Aquatics Handbook has two other sections, one titled “Skin Diving,” and the other titled “Scuba Diving.” More on this later, as it shows diving gear from the late 1950s.

Aquatics Handbook
TRUDGEN CRAWL

The trudgen crawl stroke was the first of the crawl strokes. The stroke has also been known as the “double overarm stroke” and the “alternating overarm stroke.”

The simplest description of the trudgen is that it is an overarm side stroke done on both sides, that is, one arm pull and one scissors kick done on each side. The head is held above the water, thereby enabling the swimmer to see where he is going.

Many beginners who have had no swimming instruction develop a crude version of this stroke, and today there are more people swimming this stroke than any other for purely recreational swimming. It is also extensively used in ballet swimming.

Here, again, the emphasis is not on speed; a lazy, easy motion is suggested for the best results. Remember, the timing for this stroke is the scissors kick, which is employed as the hand is put into the water in front and repeated as the other hand is used in the same manner.

THE AMERICAN RED CROSS SWIMMING AND DIVING:

This book has an extensive write up on the Trudgen stroke. I capitalized it because the word “Trudgen” is in reference a fellow named John Trudgen, who traveled to Buenos Ayres in 1863, noted this stroke, and brought it Europe and the USA.
The Trudgen Stroke—It is interesting to note that the only style of swimming named after a swimmer was not originated by him nor is it as employed today, the stroke swam bi the man who gave it a name.

John Trudgen , according to a biographical note by Thomas “...went to Buenos Ayres in 1863. While there he learnt ‘to trudge’ from the natives.” So he did not originate the stroke. At another point in his book Thomas writes, “Surely no man ever obtained so much fame for so little as Trudgen. The inventor of the English side stroke is unknown, but Trudgen will always be in evidence, from the accidental circumstance of his winning a sprint race with the South American Indian stroke.” The circumstances which brought this about is interesting and worthy of full explanation, because there has been so much confusion concerning the origin of the “trudgen.” Quoting from bSinclair and Henry’s work on Swimming “the account of an eye witness of Trudgen’s first race in England is revealing.” The following in turn bias a quotation from Watson in the Swwimming Recond of 1873. He said, “A surprising swimmer carried off the handicap—we allude to Trudgen: this individual swam with both arms entirely out of water, an action peculiar to Indians. His time was very fast, particularly for one who appears to know but little of swimming, and should he become more finished of style, we shall expect to see him take a position almost second to none bas a swimmer. I question, indeed, if the swimming world ever saw a more peculiar stroke sustained throughout a 160 yards race. I have seen many beast exponents retain the action for some distance, but the great exertion compels them to desist, very much fatigued. In Trudgen, however, a totally opposite state of things existed; for here we had a man swimming apparently easy, turning very badly and when finished, appearing as though he could have gone another 80 yards at the same pace. His action reminds an observer of a style peculiar to the Indians: both arms are thrown partly sideways, but very slowly, and the head kept completely above water.”

SeaRat

Thanks, John and Angelo, for the additional information about the trudgeon and side swimming strokes. And thanks to all who posted "likes" to my messages at the weekend.

Last time I focused on Aquatic Nettuno fins, which made their début in the late 1950s. Aquatic Nautilus fins emerged around the same time. Fabio Vitale reviewed them in his roundup of 1950s fins:
upload_2021-5-26_10-5-20.png
Italian: "NAUTILUS AQUATIC. A cinghialo regolabile ed a tallone protetto hanno la pala paripunta ed a leggera inclinazione. La loro principale caratteristica è di essere costruite in MARVIL 86, materiale plastico che consente sia una buona rigidità che una colorazione molto brillante: rosso carminio, verde intenso, blu scuro e anche trasparente. Modello non galleggiante nei numeri dal 28 al 47.
Rough translation: "AQUATIC NAUTILUS. Adjustable strap and heel protector with symmetrically-tipped and slightly angled blade. Their main feature is their construction from Marvil 86, a plastic material permitting both a good degree of stiffness and very bright colours: crimson red, bright green, dark blue and even transparent. Non-floating model sized 28-47."
1280px-Nautilus_Palau.JPG
First, the choice of product name. "Nautilus" is the Latin form of " ναυτίλος", Ancient Greek for "sailor". "Nautilus" is the name of a pelagic marine mollusc of the cephalopod family Nautilidae (above). It is also the name of Captain Nemo's submarine in Jules Verne's 1870 novel Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.

Like the Nettunos, the Nautiluses had sandal-style foot pockets, closed toes and symmetrically tipped blades. What made them different was their construction in Marvil plastic and the reinforcement of their blades with three radiating ribs.

The Aquatic Nautilus merited an entry in the Rex-Hevea catalogue of 1958:
upload_2021-5-26_10-40-31.jpeg
Italian: "NAUTILUS AQUATIC: a cinghiolo regolabile ed a tallone protetto hanno la pala paripunta ed a leggera inclina zione. La loro principale caratteristica è di essere costruite in MARVIL 86 magnifico materiale plastico che consente sia una buona rigidità che una colorazione di eccezionale brillantezza: rosso carminio, verde intenso, blu scuro e, cosa assolutamente nuova, anche un modello perfettamente TRASPARENTE, La Nautilus Aquatic non è galleggianie ma molto leggera: essa sarà quindi gradita sia ai cacciatori subacquei che ai nuotatori di superfice ed agli esteti, amanti delle cose belle. Calzate: 28/31, 32/35, 36/39, 40/43, 44/47."
English: "NAUTILUS AQUATIC: with adjustable strap and protected heel, they have equal points and are slightly inclined, Their principal characteristic is that they are built in MARVIL86, a mervellous plastic material which gives them both rigidity and exceptional brilliancy in color: carmine, bright green, dark blue, and - an absolute novelty a completely transparent model. The Nautilus Aquatic does not float but is very light: it will therefore be appreciated by subs as well as by surface swimmers and those who love beautiful things, Sizes: 28/31, 32/35, 36/39, 10/43, 44/47."
My translation: "AQUATIC NAUTILUS: fitted with adjustable strap and heel protector, they have a symmetrically tipped blade inclined at a slight angle. Their main feature is to have been constructed in MARVIL 86, a magnificent plastic material creating the possibility of both good rigidity and exceptionally bright colouring: crimson red, intense green, dark blue and, an absolute innovation, also a perfectly TRANSPARENT model, Although the Nautilus Aquatic is non-floating, it is very light: it will therefore be appreciated both by underwater hunters and surface swimmers and by aesthetes, lovers of beautiful things. Sizes: 28/31, 32/35, 36/39, 40/43, 44/47."

While the Nettuno appears to have faded away when the 1960s came along, the Nautilus seems to have enjoyed greater longevity, surviving as it did until the late 1966, when it was on sale for 900-1800 lire, depending on size and according to the Italian diving magazine Mondo Sommerso. The Nautilus was also imported by US Divers for the North American market. Here is its entry in the "Aqualung" catalogue of 1962:
upload_2021-5-26_10-53-42.jpeg

We finish today with a few auction pictures of the Aquatic Nautilus:
upload_2021-5-26_10-56-53.jpeg

upload_2021-5-26_10-57-35.png

upload_2021-5-26_10-58-0.jpeg

upload_2021-5-26_10-58-22.jpeg

upload_2021-5-26_10-58-39.jpeg

upload_2021-5-26_10-58-54.jpeg

That is plenty for today and we shall resume operations at the weekend, when we shall review the remainder of the Aquatic fin range. Thereafter, I anticipate moving on to another Italian diving equipment manufacturer, probably SALVAS. In the coming days, stay safe and keep well.

Thanks, John and Sam, for the likes.

Today's assignment is to conclude our review of the Aquatic range of basic diving equipment in general and its fin range in particular.
CATALOGO%20PIERACCIONI%201959%20-%204.jpg
The scan above is from the Pieraccioni sporting goods catalogue of 1959. The left-hand page has an image of a pair of Aquatic Nautilus with its available sizes and their pricing. We covered the Nautilus several days ago. Here they are described as "pinne a lacciolo", which roughly translates as "strap fins".

Beneath the "Nautilus" entry is an unillustrated entry dedicated to "pinne a scarpetta" ("pocket fins"). This is the Aquatic "Comet" model, continuing the astronomical theme of Aquatic product nomenclature. Like the Nautilus, the Comet came in an assortment of colours and in five sizes: 32-44. Unfortunately, this Pieraccioni catalogue entry is the sole source of information I have managed to locate about the Aquatic Comet fin.

While we have the catalogue page in front of us, I might as well call attention to another Aquatic snorkel model omitted earlier in this thread. You may recall the Aquatic "Nadir" I reviewed back then:
upload_2021-5-12_10-24-18-jpeg.658607.jpg
Well, apparently the valveless version below was dubbed the "Zenit":
upload_2021-5-12_11-20-34-jpeg.658622.jpg
I am certain that even the non-italophones among us can work out the meaning of "Zenit" by adding an "h" to the end of the word: "Nadir, a term used in astronomy for the point in the heavens exactly opposite to the zenith, the zenith and nadir being the two poles of the horizon. That is, the zenith is directly overhead, the nadir directly underfoot. Celestial coordinates seen by an observer in mid-northern latitudes." So there.

Another possible Aquatic fin is the "Olympic", which appears in International Diving Corporation catalogues around the end of the 1950s. Here is the 1957 version:
upload_2021-5-30_10-1-53.jpeg
You will find it in the right-hand column, second row, on catalogue page 13 above. The second-row left-column fin is labelled as the "Aquatic", the manufacturer's brand name, rather than as the "Nettuno", the product name used elsewhere. The resemblance between the "Nettuno" and the "Olympic" has not been lost on me, although the former is a sandal-type "semi-closed" fin, while the latter is a traditional full-foot fin.

Further support for my hypothesis that the "Olympic" may be an Aquatic fin comes on the equivalent pages in the IDC catalogue of 1958:
upload_2021-5-30_10-13-33.jpeg
Note how the "Nettuno" has gone, replaced by the Aquatic Nautilus, while the "Olympic" is now named the "Aquatic & Olympic". I hav not found any other reference to the Olympic elsewhere, so the hypothesis in unsupported by other sources.

And now we come to the final Aquatic fin of the day, the Crawl. I assume that the product is named after the swimming stroke usually chosen by participants in "freestyle" competitions. The Aquatic Crawl appears to be a latecomer to the Aquatic family of fins. The following from a 1966:issue of Mondo Sommerso:
upload_2021-5-30_10-22-26.jpeg

Note just two models, the Nautilus and the Crawl, have survived thus far. The Crawl may have made its début in 1960:
upload_2021-5-30_10-26-53.jpeg
That's them top left above. They appear at the base of the scuba gear in the picture below:
upload_2021-5-30_10-28-32.jpeg
Aquatic Crawl fins came with full-foot coverage and plain blades. Here are some auction pictures of them for a better view:
upload_2021-5-30_10-33-55.jpeg

upload_2021-5-30_10-34-19.jpeg

upload_2021-5-30_10-34-35.jpeg

upload_2021-5-30_10-34-50.jpeg

upload_2021-5-30_10-35-8.jpeg

And there we leave the Aquatic range of underwater products altogether. Next time, midweek, I am minded to move on to the Italian diving equipment manufacturer Salvas, which eventually merged with another Italian manufacturer, Shark. Until then, stay healthy and keep safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom