Basic gear from mid-twentieth-century Italy: Cressi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stand corrected, АлександрД. Zhukova. I misread her name on the title page of her spearfishing book. I am grateful for the information about Olga and I hope she still enjoys diving now she is a nonagenarian. We never hear enough about women who dive, particularly ones who did so during the pioneering era of the activity and who lived such full and difficult lives.

Thanks for your posts, Sam and АлександрД. I appreciate them and as I compile this thread I am learning just as much information from other people as I am imparting. The most important things I learned as a schoolteacher, now retired, were what my students and colleagues taught me about life in general and my subject in particular.

Now for the more positive, or at least lighthearted, images I promised for the Cressi Medusa G2 snorkel-mask. I'm grouping them together by common factors other than date.

upload_2020-5-6_11-16-41.png
Amateur Lobsterman holds up lobster he caught with net, Atlantic Ocean, near Maine
UNSPECIFIED
- JUNE 01: Amateur lobsterman holds up lobster he caught with net, Atlantic Ocean, near Maine (Photo by B. Anthony Stewart/National Geographic/Getty Images)
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detai...obster-he-caught-with-net-news-photo/82995598

upload_2020-5-6_11-17-59.png

Frogwoman
1955:
A woman equipped for a diving session with an unusual full face mask with integrated snorkels and wetsuit. (Photo by Peter Purdy/BIPs/Getty Images)
A woman equipped for a diving session with an unusual full face mask... News Photo - Getty Images

upload_2020-5-6_11-19-15.png

Harpoon Gun
1955:
A woman equipped for a diving session, complete with an unusual full face mask with integrated snorkels, fins and harpoon gun. (Photo by Peter Purdy/BIPs/Getty Images)
A woman equipped for a diving session, complete with an unusual full... News Photo - Getty Images

upload_2020-5-6_11-20-33.png

Vogue 1957
Two models in Rose Marie Reid swimsuits on the US Virgin Islands. Model on left stands tree wearing blue suit, mask and flippers; model on right wears white suit with matching cap, and flippers. (Photo by Richard Rutledge/Condé Nast via Getty Images)
Two models in Rose Marie Reid swimsuits on the US Virgin Islands.... News Photo - Getty Images

upload_2020-5-6_11-21-38.png

Tony Randall and Florence Gibbs
1959:
Actor Tony Randall and his wife Florence Gibbs goof around on the beach with a snorkel mask in 1959. (Photo by Richard C. Miller/Donaldson Collection/Getty Images)
Actor Tony Randall and his wife Florence Gibbs goof around on the... News Photo - Getty Images

upload_2020-5-6_11-22-37.png

Tony Randall and Florence Gibbs
1959:
Actor Tony Randall and his wife Florence Gibbs goof around on the beach with a snorkel mask in 1959. (Photo by Richard C. Miller/Donaldson Collection/Getty Images)
Actor Tony Randall and his wife Florence Gibbs goof around on the... News Photo - Getty Images

upload_2020-5-6_11-24-9.png

Marietine Birnie
1959:
Marietine Birnie snorkelling at the Blue Lagoon, Kemmuna (Comina), Malta, July 1959. (Photo by Slim Aarons/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)
Marietine Birnie snorkeling at the Blue Lagoon, Kemmuna , Malta, July... News Photo - Getty Images

upload_2020-5-6_11-25-0.png

Marietine Birnie, Blue Lagoon
Marietine Birnie snorkeling at the Blue Lagoon, Kemmuna (Comina), Malta, July 1959. (Photo by Slim Aarons/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)
Marietine Birnie snorkeling at the Blue Lagoon, Kemmuna , Malta, July... News Photo - Getty Images

upload_2020-5-6_11-28-23.png

Montego bay, Jamaica
October 1958: Maggie in snorkelling gear. From the third of three small “ektachrome transparencies” boxes, this set (labelled “personal fair great / our wedding”) of film positives includes wedding photographs of nick's wife, Maggie Dewolf, and a very young son, alexander Dewolf; also images from various trips, and of Boston’s beacon hill neighbourhood. Part of an archival project, featuring the photographs of Nick Dewolf.
https://live.staticflickr.com/8112/8557900870_bfa7585270_b.jpg

upload_2020-5-6_11-31-39.png

Montego bay, Jamaica
October 1958: Maggie in snorkelling gear. Part of an archival project, featuring the photographs of Nick Dewolf
https://live.staticflickr.com/3172/2346020138_7f744d6a97_z.jpg

upload_2020-5-6_11-34-36.jpeg

Woman with bathing cap, diving goggles and snorkel, studio shot, 1960s
Stock Photo - leisure time, sports, water sports, diving, woman with bathing cap, diving goggles and snorkel, studio shot, 1960s, , Additional-Rights-Clearences-NA

Thus concludes our liitle gallery of online images featuring the Medusa G2 snorkel-mask. A bit of light relief after last time, when the images with the mask were designed to instil fear in the beholder!

The Cressi Ostrica (Oyster) snorkel-mask next time. And yes, you already have heard from me about the snorkel-less Cressi Ostrica diving mask. This model comes with a single breathing tube emerging from the left-hand side. More in a few day's time and I'll leave you with my usual lockdown mantra, if applicable: Stay safe!

@David Wilson

I began my "diving career" during WW 11 about 1943 and so far have never stopped being involved - as a participant . observer, documentarian
I just don't recall all these snorkel mask during my long and involved participation in commercial or recreational diving. I suspect they were snorkel mask being used during the 40s, 50s and even into the 1970s but I just don't recall seeing them and never dove with any one of my many dive buddies over these seven plus decades who dove or had one of them.

I still suspect the were much more popular in Europe than the US

Several years ago one came up on E bay - in original box etc . So I purchased it for $30.00 --I had planned on doing some experimenting with it -- it is still in the shipping box
It was distributed by Ralph Keifer, and American swimmer and businessman some how associated with Sears.

RE Rose Marie Reid
Vogue 1957
Two models in Rose Marie Reid swimsuits on the US Virgin Islands. Model on left stands tree wearing blue suit, mask and flippers; model on right wears white suit with matching cap, and flippers.

I knew Rose Marie-- she was real and in her time a giant in the swimsuit industry,
'We attended the same church for while

During the Korean war I was a young Second Lieutenant in USAF, At our church Rose Marie always was surrounded by her models A great hunting meeting ground for a young USAF Officer . I met a lot of them but never connected for a date - They all lovely to look at,. dressed well,. presented themselves well but lack conversational abilities .

Keep up the great work -- it is necessary and appreciated..

SDM

Thanks for the likes, guys, and more particularly to you, Sam, for your personal reminiscences, which add colour to an otherwise monochrome past. On the matter of the prevalence of snorkel-masks, I agree with you that they were likely to have been far commoner on the Mediterranean than in the Pacific, but they did exist in the USA if period US Divers and Healthways catalogues are to be given credence. Yes, such firms imported some models from Europe, but both American companies made their own too:
43.jpg
Sub-MarineTwinSnorkel1958.png

How they were used is another matter. Snorkel-masks first evolved in Europe to serve the Mediterranean spearfishing community that had grown during World War II thanks to the need to eke out meagre rations with whatever nature could provide. I suspect that snorkel-masks in the USA developed a different clientèle during the 1950s, when food was more plentiful and snorkel-masks were more of a beach or poolside recreational accessory.

Now back to Cressi snorkel-masks and more particularly to the Cressi Ostrica, which came in single-snorkel and non-snorkel versions. We have already reviewed the latter earlier in this thread. Here are the two Ostricas in 1953:
catalogo-cressi-1953-9-cropped-jpg.568905.jpg

upload_2020-5-10_9-13-8.png

Italian: "Cressi Ostrica. Una delle ultime creazioni in campo occhiali è il tipo «OSTRICA» (Fig. 13). Costruito secondo fondamentali principi tecnici ha rivelato eccezionali doti di visibilità congiunto ad un’adesività particolare, (che ne ha suggerito il nome), riducendo al minimo il volume interno. Da molti esperti è ritenuto superiore al Sommozzatore stesso, che è stato fino ad ora considerato il migliore e più indicato occhiale per la pesca subacquea. La costruzione 1953, grazie a particolari accorgimenti costruttivi realizzati nella sagomatura del bordo di adesione, ha notevolmente aumentata l’ermeticità della tenuta e la comodità d’indossamento. L’Ostrica, costruito in due misure: media e grande, può essere munito di membrana interna per agevolare la compensazione della pressione. Viene pure costruito col respiratore incorporato come il Medusa e il Sommozzatore. Detto tipo è l’Ostrica Uno B (Fig. 14). Fig. 14. Ostrica con respiratore."
Rough translation: "Cressi Ostrica. One of the latest designs in goggles is the “OSTRICA” model (Fig. 13). Made in accordance with basic engineering principles, it has proved exceptional in combining visibility with a particular grip (hence its name “Ostrica”, Italian for “Oyster”), while reducing internal volume to a minimum. Many experts consider it superior to the Sommozzatore itself, which until now has passed for the best and most suitable googles for underwater fishing. Thanks to particular design features applied when reshaping the sealing edge, the 1953 design comes with significantly increased watertightness and wearing comfort. Made in in two sizes, Medium and Large, the Ostrica may be fitted with an inner membrane to ease pressure compensation. It is also supplied with an integral breathing tube like the Medusa and the Sommozzatore. This model is the Ostrica Uno B (Fig. 14). Fig. 14. Ostrica with breathing tube."

So the "Ostrica with breathing tube" is just that: a Cressi Ostrica mask with a socket on the left for a single snorkel topped with a "Gamma" hinge-operated float-valve.

And here are both Ostricas in 1955:
cressi-catalogo-1955-8-cropped-jpg.568909.jpg
upload_2020-5-10_9-30-6.png

Italian: "OSTRICA. Sintetizza le caratteristiche di rendimento, praticità, estetica. Ha un ottimo campo visivo, volume e ingombro ridotti, aderenza e tenuta particolari (da cui il nome). E’ certamente la classica tra le maschere classiche e di impiego generale. In due misure: A (media), B (grande). OSTRICA UNO B. Identica all’Ostrica, con respiratore incorporato. In una sola misura: B (grande)."
Official English Translation: "OSTRICA. This mask synthesises the characteristics of utility wear, practical use and appearance. It has an excellent visual field, reduced volume, with particular adherence and watertightness. It is undoubtedly the classic of the classic masks and is for general use. In two sizes: A (medium), B (large). OSTRICA UNO B. Identical to above Ostrica, but with incorporated snorkel. In one size only: B (large)."
My English Retranslation: "OSTRICA. The epitome of performance, practicality and aesthetics. It has excellent visibility, reduced volume and size, grip and seal in particular (hence the name “Ostrica”, Italian for “oyster”). It certainly is the most classic of classic and general-purpose masks. Supplied in two fittings: A (Medium) or B (Large). OSTRICA UNO B. Identical to Ostrica, with integral breathing tube. Supplied in one fitting only: B (Large)."

As well as reasonable longevity, the Cressi Ostrica snorkel-mask enjoyed a degree of ubiquity. Here it is in England, in the 1956 edition of Skinner's handbook for skin divers:
upload_2020-5-10_10-4-44.png

The caption reads: Cressi OSTRICA Uno B. Diving Mask with integral breathing tube and the all-position Cressi “GAMMA” Valve. Fitted with either toughened glass or plastic lens.

The mask had an even greater impact States-side. This from 1954:
04.jpg

05.jpg

So much for the Cressi Ostrica snorkel-mask. Our next port of call will be the single-snorkel Cressi Stella mask in several days' time. As always, in the meantime, stay safe.:)

Thanks again for the likes, Sam and АлександрД. On now to the Cressi Stella Uno B snorkel-mask. We have already met the snorkel-less version of the Cressi Stella earlier in this thread. Here it is again in its introductory (1959) and final (1976) years of production:
cressi-sub-catalogo-1959-2-jpg.572615.jpg

cressi-catalogo-1976-14_0-jpg.572619.jpg

The Cressi Stella and the Cressi Stella Uno both made their début in 1959 and faced their final curtain in the early 1970s. While the Cressi Stella came in two fittings, A (medium) and B (large), the Cressi Stella Uno was available in size B (large) only. The "Uno" tag (Italian for one) identified this mask as featuring a single snorkel.
upload_2020-5-13_7-56-32.png

upload_2020-5-13_8-1-29.png

The caption references just the size (large) and the price (1700 lire). Like the Stella, the Stella Uno had an oval lens surrounded by a stainless-steel band complete with top screw, which might explain its higher-end price tag. The Stella Uno appeared as follows in 1960s Cressi catalogues:

upload_2020-5-13_8-20-49.png

upload_2020-5-13_8-22-48.png

upload_2020-5-13_8-23-28.png

The only change during this decade was a price rise from 1700 lire to 1800 lire in 1969.

During the early 1970s, the product description ventured beyond just size and price:

upload_2020-5-13_8-26-47.png

Italian: "STELLA UNO B. Maschera con aeratore incorporato munito di valvola « Gamma ». Adatta per osservazione superficiale e piccole immersioni non impegnative.
Official English translation: "STELLA UNO B. Mask with incorporated snorkel provided with the « Gamma » valve. Suitable for surface observations and small undemanding immersions."
My retranslation: "STELLA UNO B. Mask with built-in snorkel featuring “Gamma” valve. Suitable for surface observation and unchallenging small-scale dives."

upload_2020-5-13_8-30-27.png

Italian: "STELLA UNO B. Maschera con aeratore incorporato munito di valvola « Gamma ». Adatta per osservazione superficiale e piccole immersioni non impegnative.
Official English translation: "STELLA UNO B. Mask with incorporated snorkel provided with the « Gamma » valve. Suitable for surface observations and small undemanding immersions."
My retranslation: "STELLA UNO B. Mask with built-in snorkel featuring “Gamma” valve. Suitable for surface observation and unchallenging small-scale dives."

The Stella Uno B never reached 1976, when the Stella ceased production. Note how the Stella Uno's operational scope is confined to surface observation and short, shallow dives only. No deep diving or protracted underwater swimming sessions.

Back
Top Bottom