Basic Beginner Light for Low Vis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FaithC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,
Im researching dive lights and I see a vast difference in specs and price and I am getting a little overwhelmed. So I just need some general guidance.

I will not be going on night dives anytime soon. I want a small light to use in low viz or murky water. I will also use to see into crevices and cracks to look for reef critters.

So I don't need anything fancy or big. Can anyone provide some ballpark specs that would suit my purposes?

Thanks!
Faith

You want a narrow beam light 6-8 degrees would be ideal. Intova narrow would probably suit, around 220 lumens from memory, only issue is they do run on the more expensive CR123 batteries. It's a cheap light and can be used as a back up when/if you buy a dedicated bigger night light. The poorer the vis the brighter the light you need with a narrow beam otherwise the light will bounce back and not actually penetrate. Good luck.

PS what is your budget?

For day time, low vis, peek under rocks and stuff, you want a light with narrow beam and as bright as possible. My current favorite is DRIS 1K shorty. It uses 3xAAA bartteries. It will go for at least 2 recreational dives before light level drops. You can use rechargeable too. Not expansive to run at all. If you need a longer run time, DRIS1000 3C is also a good choice. For the money, DRIS lights are hard to beat for both performance and customer supports.

I'm looking to keep it in the $40 - $60 range, hoping to find a sale or deal.

Thank you for the help. I can take a look at the specs on these products and go from there.

-Faith

+1 for the DRIS shorty, a bit more than what you'd like to spend but comes awful close to $400-500 lights for when you decide you'd like a bit more out of your light.

Hollis makes an amazing back-up light. My two sons have them and it blows my Heser away. They were under $100.00 Canadian.

Not getting into specific models, when buying dive lights, I get LED versions. Lower power usage makes batteries last long, they seem durable, and some halogen bulb-based lights may get too hot if used out of water, which I like having the option to do.

Don't know whether this would be an issue with the type you're looking for, but it might help narrow things down a bit.

Best of luck with your search.

Richard.

Not getting into specific models, when buying dive lights, I get LED versions. Lower power usage makes batteries last long, they seem durable, and some halogen bulb-based lights may get too hot if used out of water, which I like having the option to do.

Don't know whether this would be an issue with the type you're looking for, but it might help narrow things down a bit.

Best of luck with your search.

Richard.

Agree, luckily in recent years LED lights are becoming the majority.

My favorite is the uk sl4 eled. It has an 8 degree beam and is very bright. It's size makes it easy to stow in a bc pocket or it has a good size hole on the back for attaching a clip to hang wherever you wish. It runs on 4 c batteries so you can change it pretty much anywhere in the world and it only rings in at 85$. I'm sure if you search around you could find one on sale or used close to your price range. I have three as back ups or to loan to friends on dives and everyone has loved them.

400 lumens and 10 hours of burn time

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom