basic backplate question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seakdivers

Reaction score
What is a backplate, and how does it differ from a regular BCD? I've seen them mentioned before, and I think I remember someone saying that they work better for women (I could be way off on that one).

Search the archives in this board.. There are lots with pictures attached and what not. But basically it is a stainless steel or al. plate that holds you tank. Then you have a back inflate wing that is sandwiched between the plate and the tanks. Check out some pictures.

Your basic backplate is simply a piece of ABS plastic, aluminum, or stainless steel that is it bent slightly. It is drilled and slotted. A 1 piece harness is woven through the slots a variety of different wings can be attached for both single and double tanks. You can add a required number or d-rings and such as you see fit. check out these links for more details.

http://www.deepoutdoors.com/freedomharness.html

http://www.diverite.com/products/bcd/plates.htm

http://www.halcyon.net/mc/harness.shtml

http://www.omsdive.com/backplate.html

Seakdiver:

A backplate is a piece of steel or aluminum that fits agaisnt the wearer's back. There are plastic plates, but I've never heard anything good about them.

The backplate attaches to the wearer by means of webbing, most often a continuous piece that loops over the shoulders and around the waist. It is fastened at the waist using a buckle.

A Wing is attached to the backplate. A single tank can be attached using tank bands and, in some cases, an adapter called a single tank adapter, or STA. Doubles are bolted directly to the plate and banded together.

Regardless the wing fits between the tank and the plate.

In addition to the webbing, you wear a crotch strap. This is a piece of soft webbing that runs from back to front between the legs. It helps keep the rig in position.

You can see excellent pictures of backplates and wings at this site. http://www.halcyon.net/mc/harness.shtml

Page down for a good look at the plate and webbing.

In my opinion, there are several advantages to a backplate when compared to a BC. Most of these are not gender specific.

1. The BP is very streamlined. The diver's chest and stomach are are kept free of drag creating pockets and padding. This means that it takes less effort to move throught the water, particularly since drag increases exponentially in relation to cross section.

2. The BP places weight on the wearer's back. This is directly over the largest source of lift, the lungs. This makes it easier to maintain a horizontal trim.

3. Having weight on your back reduces the weight worn on the waist. Enough said.

4. When properly fitted, BP's hold the tank quite securely. My experience with BC's is that they allow more movement than BP's, which creates trim issues. It's also annoying.

In addition, in my experience BP's hold the tank closer to the body and a BC. This allows you easier access to your valves in the event of an emergency that requires shutdown or when reacting to a roll off.

5. There are fewer failure points on a BP than on a BC. Fewer things to fail means a more robust rig. While this may be a nominal increase over BP's, that's not much consolation when someone drops a tank on your BC's Quick Disconnect, leaving you without a BC until it gets fixed.

6. I can think of two potential advantages that are more specific to women. However, I claim no personal experience other than fitting female divers for BP's.

First, some female divers have told me that they have experienced difficulty finding a BC that fits. Because BP's rely upon a continuous piece of webbing held in place by keepers and a buckle to keep them in place, they are almost infinately adjustable.

Second, there are no chest straps to interfere or create discomfort. Thus, for example, large busted women don't need to worry about finding a BC that fits both bust and waist.

Other manufacturers, including OMS and Zeagle, make BP's. FredT, a member of the Board, makes a very nice product as well.

Wow! Thanks everyone! I've seen pictures of backplates in various catalogs & websites, but I didn't really understand how they work.
Are there any cons to using one?

Thanks!

Cons... Well they don't have pockets.. You would need to add those if you wanted them. But aside from that.. They are good to go all around. You can even pick one up cheaper than most bc's. Unless you go with Halcyon.. But if I were you, just sew/stamp your own H on it and call it good.

seakdivers once bubbled...
Wow! Thanks everyone! I've seen pictures of backplates in various catalogs & websites, but I didn't really understand how they work.
Are there any cons to using one?

Thanks!

1. Unlike a traditional BC, the shoulder straps are not loosened prior to donning and doffing. Some people claim that this makes it more difficult to use the rig.

Personally, I think that its a matter of technique. You will quickly figure out how to do it.

2. DSGobie makes a good point about pockets. BP's don't have them. It is possible, and quite easy, to add a pocket (the Halcyon slides on the waist strap and secures to the backplate with a nut and bolt).

However, pockets are easier to reach on your legs than on your waist. I would recommend adding them to your suit instead of to your BP.

3. BP's can be slightly finicky to fit. I recommend getting someone who is used to diving one to help fit it.

The harness is made of stiff weight belt webbing. This may be uncomfortable when using minimal exposure protection in warm water. From what I have noticed, the people around here that like backplates the most tend to dive in temperate to cold water

leadweight once bubbled...
The harness is made of stiff weight belt webbing. This may be uncomfortable when using minimal exposure protection in warm water. From what I have noticed, the people around here that like backplates the most tend to dive in temperate to cold water
Definitely a consideration for divers in Sitka, Alaska :eek:ut:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom