Barrier Reef old TV adventure show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain Swoop

Contributor
Reaction score
Who remembers the old Australian TV series Barrier Reef?
It was about the adventures of a team of marine scientists based aboard a sailing schooner fitted out as a research ship. I think it was on in the UK in about 1971-72.
I remember each episode featured a lot of scuba action in colour, a novelty at the time.
They had lots of cool underwater toys and jet boats to zoom around in.
It's one of the things that got me in to wanting to have a go myself.

Credits

Hi Captain Swoop,
Despite being a local and probably a TV junkie in 71 I cannot for the life of me remember seeing the show. Interesting to see the underwater filming was done by the late and legendary Ron Taylor, who also did the underwater photography for original Jaws.
Ken James had previously starred in Skippy that had also been shown in the U.K.

Any idea if full versions are on the net anywhere, a quck search has only found the same opening credits you found.
Thanks

I can't find any of the shows anywhere, there's very little info on it.
It was very much ecology focused despite it nominally being about some kind of salvage in a lot of episodes, Lots of diving footage though.

Last edited:
I remember reading in a book back when I was a kid, that the Taylors would writeTV scripts where the heroine would find herself in a tank of sharks or something. The Taylors would then get hired to do the filming and stunt work. This sounds like one of those projects. The one episode I found and watched started with the female lead having her foot caught in a rope and being dragged over the reef by a runaway speed boat. The video quality was awful. I will post it if I can find it.

Those suits are Star Trek like, aren't they ? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom