Barracudas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QUETZAL:
In my opion this post is against the rules of the forum. And by someone who should be held to a higher standard ie. SB Staff.

Quote "It is not the place for folks who are not underwater hunters (or at least have an interest in becoming underwater hunters). If you're here to complain about spearfishing or lobstering or any other kind of hunting underwater you've come to the wrong place."

I think it was a joke (and thought it was kind of funny).

QUETZAL:
Do you spear?

No, though I am an underwater hunter and probably will give it a try with a spear at some point. I don't see what that has to do with whether Andy's joke was funny, though.

In any event, this and the rule citations aren't really on the topic I'm interested in, which is eating and hunting around barracuda. I thought Andy's contributions were useful while yours (and mine) are not.

D_O_H:
No, though I am an underwater hunter and probably will give it a try with a spear at some point. I don't see what that has to do with whether Andy's joke was funny, though.

In any event, this and the rule citations aren't really on the topic I'm interested in, which is eating and hunting around barracuda. I thought Andy's contributions were useful while yours (and mine) are not.
The reason I asked is I've never seen you post in this Forum before.

shooter226:
Not to piss anyone off but if you don't spearfish why are you posting in this area?

Quetzal also contacted me about it. ok, the offending joke is gone.

Back to cudas, they are mostly surface to mid water hunters, and not usually a big problem.

Sites like wrecks, that are commonly hook & line fished and speared on, often get some big bold cudas in residence that are used to picking off struggling fish getting hauled to the surface.

Scuba shooters should try to shoot prey under the cuda level. I've had many fish filleted off a spear in my hand, always on a hot spot wreck... and my fault for getting too high in the water column. Kill your fish on your stringers. No bags for me, way too awkward and not big enough anyway.

Freedivers try to keep away from these hot areas if you can, and work in teams watching each others backs.

Chad

No bags for me, way too awkward and not big enough anyway.

Chad

You do know that shooting whales is illegal in the US now don’t you. Hell I don't think that Darrell would make a gun long enough anyway. :D

[ But I have not ever heard of any first hand accounts of anyone being attacked by a Cuda.[/QUOTE]

Now you know of two. Tom Goreau and me. I know of others. I have hunted, speared and and eaten countless 'cudas.

Do a search for barracuda attacks or barracuda attack in the accidents forum and in the marine forum. There's quite a bit there.

Regards,

Barracuda are delicious. We usually fry 'em. Their meat is tight and no little bones to pick, only the big major one. My friend also use them in hot pot, thai style. It's quite tasty that way too.

aren't you worried about ciguatera?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom