barge breakwater, informations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Myka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I was planning to dive the barge in breawater. I read everything that I found here and on the BAUE website.
I don't have scooter to go faster, but I have time (rebreather).
SO, if I understood well, I have to go close to the wall, untill number 13.
And after kick a long time with 330/340 angle in the compas. hope to cross a line and follow it in north direction.

am I right ?
Is it possible after to reach a metridium field and to go back to the shore (taking west direction) ?

I am surprised to have to take a 340 direction from the stone number 13, because according the GPS position, the barge look exactly on the north of the end of the wall. 340 from the number 13 will give me a NordNordWest direction... si it means that the number 13 is completely at the end end ?

could someone draw on this where is the number 13 and where is approximately the line and the bottle ?

thanks you very much

If someone want to join me, let me know (double tanks looks necessary).
Mickael

Hi Mickael,

My understanding is that the line doesn't start at the 13, but by going to the 13 and swimming 330 degrees, you intersect line in the safest direction. I don't recall that the line is exactly N/S, but you do want to take a compass bearing on it because the barge is actually 20-30ft away from the end of the line, and it helps a lot to find the line for the swim back. I'm sure you've read that the barge is far out enough to be in boat traffic (you'll hear them) so you don't want to surface out there if at all possible.

Remember that most online maps are not aligned to magnetic north. The BAUE map has a compass rose to help you orient, but try this printable map: it has positions for all the BW numbers (including the 13) and is oriented to magnetic north.

ScubaBoard Gallery - Breakwater Dive Map v2.0

You can get to the Metridium Fields from the barge, if you swim WNW, and follow the 50/55ft depth contour. It's a long swim and nothing but sand on the way though, so maybe bring a book :)

Lastly, if you click the "Photos" link under my avatar, you can find maps for a few other popular Monterey dive sites.

Good luck!

thank you so much for these informations.
If I decide to come back to the wall, I will probably use a spool to find the line from the wreck, and maybe a flashlight on the wreck to be sure to find the line.
But I really think that 2 hours will be enought to dive wall>barge>metridium....
maybe i will just dive sand, but who knows....
thanks for the map
Mickael

thank you so much for these informations.
If I decide to come back to the wall, I will probably use a spool to find the line from the wreck, and maybe a flashlight on the wreck to be sure to find the line.
But I really think that 2 hours will be enought to dive wall>barge>metridium....
maybe i will just dive sand, but who knows....
thanks for the map
Mickael

I've always heard that dive (plus a return trip to the wall across middle reef, after travelling in along the pipe halfway back to shore) called "The Grand Circuit", and it's basically always done on scooters. When I did it it was 90 minutes, including some kicking around time at each site.

I've only ever heard of one case where somebody actually kicked that dive, and I can tell you I wouldn't want to do it. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom