Barefoot Sizing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geoffreck

Reaction score
# of dives
I will be taking an open water class this coming september, however, I am going to Hawaii for a few weeks to house sit for my aunt and will be snorkeling like none other. Leaving June 21st. I want to order them within the next week, I live in Eugene, OR, will they arrive in time?

After much research on fins, I have decided to go with Force Fins Originals.
I would like them in hot pink (I enjoy eccentric and unique things and believe they might act as a theft deterrent as well) However, I am not sure what size I should get them in...

My feet are both 11 inches long, so I am a size 11 US, and at the widest part by my arch they are no more than 3 & 3/4th of an inch wide. They are normally size feet, I usually range in an 11- 12 with athletic shoes, and I wear a 12 in TOMS shoes. If any of that helps.

I will be diving Barefoot, no booties. It is too warm in Hawaii in my opinion, added I will be on the surface water and not diving.

From what I have read these are great fins, I hope they will be amazing for snorkeling and I hope I make the right sizing decision. Thank you for all of your time, I can not wait to upload pictures and get snorkeling!

NOTE: I will be buying the FF Pro or another version this fall for diving if I like the Originals, so please do not advise that I should stray from my barefoot plan. With full respect of course.

hopefully you know that the water in Hawaii is normally 76-78F. If your going to be in the water for more than 20 minutes at a time I highly recommend at least a low top bootie.

For sizing, a ML is probably a nice snug fit, I recommend sizing up and adding comfort insteps, I've put most people in XL with an instep. Blair should be able to confirm.

Geoffreck,
Congratulations on your upcoming class and your future time in the warm water. For sizing your foot barefoot I would go with a XL with a Comfort Instep. The instep will fill give you a good fit when barefoot and you will also be able to take out the Instep if you do decide to use a thin boot or aqua sock.

After some reading I realize I need some for of Neoprene sock or Lyrca Socks...

If I go with the lyrca socks, which are super thin should I get an ML or an L

So if I do get neoprene fin socks such as these:

Amazon.com: Tilos Neoprene Fin Socks: Sports & Outdoors

They are 3mm thick, should I go with the Large or the X-large? No comfort instep.

I am mainly confused because according to the FF website sizing chart, a barefoot diver 10.5 and up only needs an ML, but you are all saying XL or L? That is if I go barefoot. If I get the 3mm fin socks, I should go L?

Thanks
-Geoffrey

Geoffreck,
Thank you for the additional info. I would still go with an XL with a comfort instep when going barefoot and also when using your 3mm neoprene socks.

Leaving June 21st for Hawaii gives you plenty of time to get your Force Fins before you leave. Please feel free to order from our online store or call Force Fin HQ on Monday @ 1.800.346.7946

Is it just that the force fin sizing chart is wrong?

I don't need the comfort insteps. I am getting one pair (originals) for snorkeling and another (tan deltas) for scuba diving.

So if I get the licra socks I should get the Large and if I get the 3mm boots the XL?

If I get them an they are the wrong size can I exchange them? Would I have time to do that before I leave?

I apologize I seem to be asking many questions, I just don't want to make a mistake and not have fins for my trip... Should I get a Large and an XL and just return the ones that don't fit?

Geoffreck if you are set on not wanting the comfort insteps go with a Large when using your licra socks. Your 3mm boots will depend on how thick the sole it has, some have very thin, soft soles and some have thick almost hiking boot soles. The size will depend on what type of sole the boots have and again that is why I find the Comfort Instep so valuable, it fills in any gaps and conforms to your foot to make the best fit possible.
Yes you can exchange your fins if they are the wrong size and we are hoping to revise the Force Fin sizing chart. It is accurate, but there are a lot of factors that are not added to the chart.

I understand and will be getting the comfort instep for my FF Tan delta's, I just want something I can go barefoot in when snorkeling or at the pool, or snorkeling in a thin fin sock.

Your help and knowledge has been amazingly helpful and I am super confident in my selection now. =)

Thank you very, very much.

Sincerely,

geoffreck.

with even a thin aqua sock with no sole you'll need a L, the ML will be a nice snug fit already.

if they have any sole on them the XL with Instep will be needed to get the extra width in. You'll be able to wear them without the sock as well, just that there will be a little extra lateral slop in the fit. But that doesn't effect the performance, just some people really don't like the feel of the lateral play in the fin.

ignore the current sizing chart, it badly needs to be updated, Force Fins are not sized based on foot length as a shoe is, they are sized by the volume and width of the foot around the arch Which is why 90% of divers will wear an XL with a bootie and XXL with drysuit boots. This rule has worked for me putting hundreds of divers in FF. Barefoot the rules are not so simple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom