Bare XCD2...Vulcanized or Trek Boot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O'Malley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, I will be ordering the Bare XCD2 Tech drysuit tomorrow but I have only one remaining option to ponder: vulcanized BARE boot or the soft sock w/ Bare Trek boot? I will be diving this drysuit in water temperatures from the upper 40's to 70 degrees F with access either platform or shore. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

O'Malley:
OK, I will be ordering the Bare XCD2 Tech drysuit tomorrow but I have only one remaining option to ponder: vulcanized BARE boot or the soft sock w/ Bare Trek boot? I will be diving this drysuit in water temperatures from the upper 40's to 70 degrees F with access either platform or shore. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hmm... My bro and I both just picked up our XCD2 Techs last week. I have the Trek boot and he has the vulcanized. I got the Trek because I have skinny feet / ankles and there just seemed to be a lot more air and overall sloppiness for me. The Treks also seemed a little more solid for the rocky entries that we deal with around here.

His feet are shorter but wider and the vulcanized boot fit him really well. An added bonus is that he fits into XL Jets with the vulcanized where as I had to buy Turtles to accomodate the Treks. The Treks also take a little longer to put on with the laces and all... picky I know but it's just one more task to deal with.

I think the bottom line comes down to fit & feel. The nice part is that you have the option with Bare with little to no added cost.

Bought a Tech HD and went with the vulcanized boot. I think it all boils down to personal preference. I looked at it as though it was one less thing that I had to remember to pack. Also you don't have to put boots on before walking around in your suit. You could do the same with the booty but it would wear a bit.

Thanks for the input!

I got the Trek because I have skinny feet / ankles
Same here, narrow ankles and feet...went for the soft boot and Trek boot. Richard at DiveTank was a pleasure to speak with and provided a great package at a very reasonable price: XCD2 Tech with latex seals, soft boots with Trek boots, 2 sets of undergarments including T-100, zippered Tech Dry hood, 5mm Gauntlet gloves and suspenders.

Can't wait to get wet...umm, dry!

I love my XCD2! I have the vulcanized boots, but I must say that they fit my feet perfectly (when I put on my big, thick wool socks).

Keep in mind that I am very, very new to D/S diving. But I think I hit the mother lode in all facets when I bought this suit.

the Kraken

fwiw - I really like the bare sock in a hightop canvas shoe (I use chuck taylors) one advantage over trek boots is the white sole makes them a lot easier to see while diving, plus you have more ankle flexibility and they cost less. You can replace the laces with bungee, or cave line and just tuck the ends under the tongue of the shoe.

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
fwiw - I really like the bare sock in a hightop canvas shoe (I use chuck taylors) one advantage over trek boots is the white sole makes them a lot easier to see while diving, plus you have more ankle flexibility and they cost less. You can replace the laces with bungee, or cave line and just tuck the ends under the tongue of the shoe.

Aloha, Tim

Tim, I've been meaning to drop you a note to add tp your fin comparison. It was a huge help to me in choosing my fins (Turtles for 2XL Trek boots) so I thought I would contribute.

As I mentioned in my previous post, my brother has the Bare vulcanized boot in a 2XL (size 11 street shoe) and the XL jet fits well.

Thought you mind find that helpful for your comparison matrix.

O'Malley:

If I had to do it all over again I'd buy the trek boots. On balance the BARE boots are just too buoyant.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom