Bare XCD2 Tech Dry Owners... Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coach_izzy

Contributor
Reaction score
This applies mostly for those with the vulcanized rubber boots. How many of you use ankle weights? I know several drysuit divers of other brands who do not need ankle weights, but I've been told that the the boots in my drysuit have the tendency to let air in more easily and lead to the problems we all know. I remember reading something similar not long ago.

I'm thinking of removing my ankle weights, but I was wondering how many of you Bare XCD2 Tech Dry Owners use ankle weights, or if you don't, what steps did you take to wean yourself of them? Thank you very much for your help and happy diving.

Izzy,

My XCD fits so good with thick socks that I really don't have an issue with air in the boots.

I don't know if I just lucked out with my first dry suit purchase or what, but I have had no issues whatsoever with floaty feet in my XCD2.

Don't have any problem "balancing the bubble". I can honestly say, that I would recommend that suit to anyone, given that they understand that I'm still a newbie with only about 30 d/s dives.

the K

Ditto K! I also have about 30 dives in my drysuit, and I definitely love it, except that it was emphasized from the beginning that ankle weights were a MUST. I will add one more layer to my feet (they get cold rather easy BTW) and give it a try. Personally, I feel the ankle weights have made it more difficult to kick fast (in currents) and they were a major PIA during the rescue course (yes, I did it in a dry suit). Thanks for the help.

Just say NO to ankle weights Coach!

howarde:
Just say NO to ankle weights Coach!

Howard!!! That seems the way to go, but I was not quite sure. The boots in the suit are not that soft, and it makes sense when people tell you they may hold more air than other brands. However, I've been getting more and more annoyed with the ankle weights and the time to ditch them seems to be approaching. I just wanted to hear from other XCD2 Tech Dry owners to get a better idea of what approach to take. Speak with you soon.

coach_izzy:
Howard!!! That seems the way to go, but I was not quite sure. The boots in the suit are not that soft, and it makes sense when people tell you they may hold more air than other brands. However, I've been getting more and more annoyed with the ankle weights and the time to ditch them seems to be approaching. I just wanted to hear from other XCD2 Tech Dry owners to get a better idea of what approach to take. Speak with you soon.
I don't have that suit in particular, but I have a CLX 450 with attached "soft boots" and I have to wear 2 pairs of socks to fill them out. I think that is the way to go.

I don't think that adding weights to one place or another on your body is the right way to get trimmed out. I personally think it's (trim) is mostly mind over matter, so I have full confidence in your ability to conquer it with your zen powers :wink:

There are 4 of us in my regular dive crew and we all have XCD2's, 3 pros and 1 tech. We all got fitted for our suits at the same time (because we're geeks) and this is how it panned out.

All 4 of us have roughly the same size foot with respect to the Bare template and take a size xxl boot. However, 2 of us have fairly skinny feet. Given all of the extra air volume, the 2 of us with skinny feet opted to go with Neoprene socks and Trek boots. The other 2 guys have substantially wider (fatter) feet and fit into the vulcanized boots really well. None of us have floaty feet.

One thing you may want to consider is your fins, we all dive jets or turtles which are pretty negative and may help your cause. I have Treks and I actually wear them slightly loose just so that I can get a little air in for warmth and it actually helps to take a little weight off the hams when frog kicking.

Hey Coach,
I dive the Bare XCD2 pro with the vulcanized boots and do not wear ankle weights. I dive a set of turtle fins and they tend to pull your feet down. With ankle weights it would be tough to get horizontal. I wear two pair of work socks and that fills the boot and not much air gets to the boots that would cause a problem.

On one of my last dives I rid myself of the leg knife and found it great to loose that bit of extra weight at the feet.

Do a few dives without thenm and I doubt you'll go back

Thanks very much guys! All great pointers... Will put them to practice without a doubtl Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom