Bare XCD2 Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jumsted65:
LOL! Yeah, I detest my suit. Let's look at the pros and cons:

Pro:

1. It's warm and dry.

2. At less than $1k including undergarment, it was a good price compared to a TLS 350, but in the long run, I feel I wasted money on it.

3. It does have some insulating qualities, unlike a shell suit, though not as much as a regular neoprene suit. I don't need a super thick undergarment for 50 degree water.

Con:

1. It's bulky and heavy, It must weigh like 30lbs. A shell suit weighs next to nothing.

2. It's made of neoprene, meaning you'll need more weight to compensate for the buoyancy of the suit. With double 80's, I still need a 16 lb. belt (5'8" 160 lbs.) Buddies with shell suits require little to no added lead.

3. Takes FOREVER to dry. I mean, like a week or more!

Lemme see...what else sucks about my suit? I dunno. Bottom line though, it sucks. Two thumbs down.

Josh, "DETEST" LOL You and Mo2Vation reamian my 2 favorite posters. It's always wit wit info wit wit! LOL Rock On my friend.

Pro:

1. It's warm and dry.

Hmm...well that isn't so much a pro since all dry suits will do that :)

2. At less than $1k including undergarment, it was a good price compared to a TLS 350, but in the long run, I feel I wasted money on it.

Definately a good price, unless you figure that $1k could have just went to another better suit.

3. It does have some insulating qualities, unlike a shell suit, though not as much as a regular neoprene suit. I don't need a super thick undergarment for 50 degree water.

Now that is a good quality.

Con:

1. It's bulky and heavy, It must weigh like 30lbs. A shell suit weighs next to nothing.

Wow, I had no idea, I don't need that with travel.

2. It's made of neoprene, meaning you'll need more weight to compensate for the buoyancy of the suit. With double 80's, I still need a 16 lb. belt (5'8" 160 lbs.) Buddies with shell suits require little to no added lead.

Ouch, I don't like to wear weight as it is.

3. Takes FOREVER to dry. I mean, like a week or more!

I don't have that kind of time.

Lemme see...what else sucks about my suit? I dunno. Bottom line though, it sucks. Two thumbs down.

Thank you (& Cali) so much. I guess I will just keep saving for the TLS350 and just renting a dry suit for now when I need one.

jumsted65 Didn't anybody explain to you the differences between Neoprene, compressed/crushed neoprene and Trilaminate before you bought your suit. ie if you wanted somthing tha dried quickly and was light weight why did you get a compressed neoprene suit ? If you wanted to stick with BARE you would have been better off with a an ATR HD trilam suit. I wouldn't blaim the suit becasue you chose the wrong material.

Paul

kent_1848:
I don't have that kind of time.

Thank you (& Cali) so much. I guess I will just keep saving for the TLS350 and just renting a dry suit for now when I need one.

The XCD2 was my first suit too - not bad for a first suit. Keep in mind a lot of the issues some people may have with the suit might have to do with individual fit - especially in areas of flexibility. Since everyone is different, the fit may not work well for everyone, and presumably people will not all be wearing the same undergarments. Fit can account for a lot of the problems.

The compressed neoprene itself is tough as nails, especially when compared to trilam. You can drag the thing across a gravel parking lot and it still wouldn't leak. Easy to field repair with a bit of aquaseal. Probably not quite so easy with a trilam suit. Duct tape comes to mind.

As well, taking a week to dry? This depends greatly on where you are. Where I am, it takes overnight to dry. Not nearly as quickly as a trilam suit, but certainly not a week. If I were somewhere relatively humid, Cozumel for example, it may never dry.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom