Bare vs Pinnacle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking at getting a new wetsuit this year and was looking for advice. I know fit is everything when getting a wetsuit but lets say that both the Bare Velocity and the Pinnacle Fusion fit me the same. Also price is not an issue with both suits. Which one would you suggest getting.

Any owners of each care to give their likes and/or dislikes on either one.

Thanks

Jeremy

I have the Velocity 5/4 and have so far been in it about 10 times. It fits really well and the quality is excellent. Love the internal seals to keep water movement to a minimum. No issues.

I have heard a lot about the Pinnacle suits but I have never actually seen one. Many on here think that their Merino wool suits are the warmest on the market but I think that they are only the 7mm type variety (I am sure others know more). Not sure of the others they make but their quality is suppose to be excellent also.

I have both Bare and Pinnacle wetsuits for my personal use and in my rental stock. I would go with the Bare wetsuit hands down. The Bare is a much more durable suit outlasting the Pinnacle probably 3 to 1.

I am not a Bare dealer, just a user. :)

Dennis

Pez de Diablo:
I have both Bare and Pinnacle wetsuits for my personal use and in my rental stock. I would go with the Bare wetsuit hands down. The Bare is a much more durable suit outlasting the Pinnacle probably 3 to 1.

I am not a Bare dealer, just a user. :)

Dennis

Thanks for the info. This info is what I was looking for. Now, does the Bare size chart run small, large or about right on. I've heard that they run a little on the small size so to order one size up from what the chart states. This may not be that big of a deal with the elastic side panels and such.

Jeremy

I have a Bare shortie in Men's L and it's perfect. I"m ordering the Velocity full 3/2 in a L as well. My experience with the Men's, you can compare against the chart, is that it's pretty much right on. The shortie is perfect fit. I'm 6, 205, 33w, 44c, 17bi's, 10% bf. I little more muscular that what they had in mind but it still works great even with the smaller waist.

Hi

We sell a lot of both Pinnacle and Bare suits. From a durability standpoint they are both very well made. I havn't seen any difference in the return rate between the two brands.

Bare has more sizes and overall the suits are a little more stretchy, this will be espcially true with the new progressive stretch Velocity series that starts shipping this month

Pinnacle has a few less sizes and the suits are a little more difficult to fit, but when you get one that works they are extremly warm. We have sold a lot of the 7mm Artics, Polars and Extreme suits and the users report they are the warmest suits they have ever used.

Overall you can't go wrong with either brand.

Paul

Hey PGDIVE,
I don't have a Bare retailler around but the Pinnacle Breaker (3mm) XLShort fits me like a dream! I was thinking that the XL or XLShort in Bare would probably fit me good too.

I'm thinking about buying a Bare 5/4 Velocity and then buying the Pinnacle Breaker for the Summer months.

Do you think that if I fit the Pinnacle XL Short I would also fit the Bare XL Short or XL?

I would have to take exception with the statement that the Bare is much more durable thatn the Pinnacle. Either this person had a defective Pinnacle or never had one at all. Bare makes a fine suit, but all you have to do is compare the suits side by side to notice significantly superior materials, components and construction assembly in the Pinnacle. Beside the better neoprene compounds, Pinnacle uses Kevlar kneepad and shoulder pads to provide unsurpassed high wear point protection. Don't be misled by a honk for one product or another. Take a look for yourself.

As for me, I have both - A Pinnacle Polar for So-cal diving, and a Bare Velocity Short for my tropical trips. THe velocity fit me better than the Pinnacle short. The Polar kept me far more comfortable (warm) than my previous Bare 7mm and has taken some major abuse from rock abrasion due to the large amount of shore diving that I do. No way my Bare would not have holes in the knees after all those dives.

JK
I have both the Bare 5/4mm and 7mm suits in XL short. You are welcome to try on the 5 mm next time we are up at Lanier. I may try to get a dive in on Saturday if the weather holds out.

scubaPT:
JK
I have both the Bare 5/4mm and 7mm suits in XL short. You are welcome to try on the 5 mm next time we are up at Lanier. I may try to get a dive in on Saturday if the weather holds out.

Becky finally gave me a kitchen pass for Sat. so I can go dive at Lanier. Been talking with Matt about meeting up at WBP this Sat. If you get a change to come out and you don't mind bring your 5mm and I will take a good look at it.

Thanks everyone for all the info.

Jeremy

Back
Top Bottom