Bare Valve Service and suspenders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theITdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just bought a "Used" Bare Nex Gen drysuit. The original owner only made 3 dives on it before deciding they were sticking to warm water from now on. The suit and seals are in perfect condition, looks immaculate. However its been hanging in a closet for a few years. I want to service the valves and would like any advice on doing this. I could take it to my LDS but I would prefer to service them myself if the parts/instructions can be found online inexpensively. The valves look to be pretty simple overall.

Whats the consensus, don't service them, take it to a shop and pay $$$$ or can someone offer some insight into the service procedure and a lead on the kit?

Also, I plan to get the suspender kit, what is the proper cement to use for gluing in the mounts? Any tips for getting the position of the mounts just right?

This is my first drysuit (been diving for several years) so any additional tips and advice would be appreciated. I've dove dry, just never had my own suit.

Thanks!

Have you checked the operation of the valves on your used drysuit?

Most drysuit owners service or replace the valves when the valves start to malfunction.

I've found that PB-300 works well as adhesive for installing latex neck and wrist seals to the Nex-Gen material. Not sure whether you can use the same stuff for installing the suspenders.

Thanks BubbleTrap, I had assumed the drysuit valves were a regularly serviced item like regs etc. I don't have the drysuit in my hands yet but as soon as I do I'll have it on my regs (if they are back from service) and test everything out. Maybe I'll take it for a swim in the bathtub to check for leaks :)

I've seen alot of comments around the net about the suspenders saying "make sure to order cement to glue in the mounts!" but nowhere can I find what cement it is I need!

Thanks BubbleTrap, I had assumed the drysuit valves were a regularly serviced item like regs etc. I don't have the drysuit in my hands yet but as soon as I do I'll have it on my regs (if they are back from service) and test everything out. Maybe I'll take it for a swim in the bathtub to check for leaks :)
Wait a sec. You purchased a used drysuit without checking it out in person? :confused:
That's a huge leap of faith in my opinion. Will the seller accept a return/refund if you get the suit and the zipper is broken (or near death)? That would be my primary concern. Dry zipper replacement costs $300-$350. It is the most expensive type of repair on most drysuits.
I've seen alot of comments around the net about the suspenders saying "make sure to order cement to glue in the mounts!" but nowhere can I find what cement it is I need!
You may want to contact Bare to ask about it. If you do, please post what you learn here. I've been diving my Nex-Gen for a number of years now. There have been a few occasions when I considered adding the suspenders, but for one reason or another I never followed through on it.

noooo... I tried it on and inspected it in person etc. I'm making a few payments on it before I get to take her home tho. The inflation valve felt like it moved freely, the exhaust also moved freely. Neither valve nor the suit were damaged or even scuffed in any way.

Ah. OK then. Enjoy the suit. I've been very happy with mine. I've put close to 300 dives on it so far. The zipper is showing some wear at this point, but I hope to get a couple more years out of it before replacing it.

Take care of that zipper. I highly recommend transporting the drysuit inside a rigid container (Rubbermaid?) to/from the dive site. In my experience, that's when damage to the zipper is most likely to occur.

FYI the "bare" suspenders are not that great, you could pretty much use any kind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom