Bare Supra Arctic military version?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex Gunpowder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys, this is my first question here.
I found an offer for wetsuit, it's described as "Bare Supra Arctic" made for military purposes, it's all black without any logos, etc. except a tag inside. What do you think about it? Is it worth a try? Does it look like a Bare suit? It's also extremely cheap, about 35 USD. Some photos:
pol_pl_Mokry-Skafander-Nurka-Damski-Wojskowy-Czarny-BARE-Supra-Arctic-Full-7mm-Nowy-5826_1.jpg
pol_pl_Mokry-Skafander-Nurka-Damski-Wojskowy-Czarny-BARE-Supra-Arctic-Full-7mm-Nowy-5826_2.jpg
pol_pl_Mokry-Skafander-Nurka-Damski-Wojskowy-Czarny-BARE-Supra-Arctic-Full-7mm-Nowy-5826_3.jpg
pol_pl_Mokry-Skafander-Nurka-Damski-Wojskowy-Czarny-BARE-Supra-Arctic-Full-7mm-Nowy-5826_4.jpg
pol_pl_Mokry-Skafander-Nurka-Damski-Wojskowy-Czarny-BARE-Supra-Arctic-Full-7mm-Nowy-5826_5.jpg

I had a dive buddy who was a Navy Seal and he told me about their insertions into Russian harbors back during the Cold War. He told me they didn't use drysuits because if they had a failure they would freeze. He told me they used some really thick wetsuits and that they were sort of preformed so they could ride their delivery vehicles. He said it was hard to move in them. I would definitely want to know the thickness of the suit. If it is thicker than 7mm I would pass on it.

Well, it's said that it's "most probably 7mm (very thick)". I found it on some military shop website so I assume they are not dive equipment experts. It's also said that it's "100% nylon laminated with neoprene gum" if it tells you anything.

I had a dive buddy who was a Navy Seal and he told me about their insertions into Russian harbors back during the Cold War. He told me they didn't use drysuits because if they had a failure they would freeze. He told me they used some really thick wetsuits and that they were sort of preformed so they could ride their delivery vehicles. He said it was hard to move in them. I would definitely want to know the thickness of the suit. If it is thicker than 7mm I would pass on it.

I took an older wetsuit into a custom wetsuit shop to have some zipper pull string repairs done. The guy told me he could tell the age of my wetsuit (which was a high quality wetsuit) from the stiffness of the material. Modern neoprene is much more flexible, stretchy and comfortable! Fantastic shop, great customer service !

$35? worth a try.....

I wouldn't spend too long thinking about it … it's no more than 1/3 the price of a branded wetsuit.

Just make sure it fits you snug and well !

Ok, thank you all for your answers. At this point I have two offers (my first wetsuit)
1. Used Scubapro Everflex 5mm + 7mm shorty with hood
2. Brand new "Bare" probably 7mm (and it's cheapper than used Scubapro)
Which configuration is better? I need a wetsuit for generally Europe dives, when temperature is not lower than 65-68 F (18-20C) and for some tropical diving in future such as Thailand, Bahamas, Maldives, Australia...Is it better to have 5+7, or just try the 7mm for Europe and buy 3mm for warmer places?
I dived this year in 5mm and 7mm as well in 68F, I wasn't cold anytime but in 5mm it was not longer than 30 min.

Of course I can order and try both suits but I just want to know is it makes any sense to bother with the shipping.

I generally dive in a 0.5mm suit in Thailand, Maldives and Australia. Don't know about Bahamas.
Many people don't bother with one at all, but I try to avoid even the occasional sting which can spoil a couple of days of diving.

I would buy only what you need now.

And it arrived. It fits :) but I will try on that used Scubapro anyway to have some comparison.

general look (back)
20171013_185159.jpg

rubber seals (arms and legs)
20171013_185207.jpg 20171013_185223.jpg

tag (on the other side there is Bare logo and size)
20171013_185415.jpg

some kind of pocket? inside, next to zip
20171013_185431.jpg

another rubber seal under zip
20171013_185440.jpg

and it fits :)
20171013_164525.jpg

So what do you think? Does it look like Bare Arctic? Cost- 39 USD with shipping, brand new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom