Bare Next Gen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imnewjack

Registered
Reaction score
I just purchased a bare next generation dry suit. this is my first dry suit and im wondering if anyone has any experience with the suit, good or bad. i plan to dive the great lakes. any undergarment suggestions? i understand its an entry level suit.
thanks

I hear a lot of good things about the Nex-Gen. It may be entry-level, but if you do a search, I think you'll find that many will say it holds its own.

What the water temperature in the great lakes, and does it vary a lot between the summer and winter? For anything under 55 degrees, I say get the thickest undergarment you can get your hands on - Weezle Extreme Plus, DUI 400g, Whites MK3, Bare Super Hi-Loft. If temperatures vary from 50-60 or beyond, it may make more sense to layer several thinner undergarments.

diving temps are in the mid to upper 40's.

The Nex Gen was my first suit too about 4 years ago and I passed it on when I upgraded. With proper care it will last as long as many other suits out there, and I didn't baby it either.

As far as undergarments, I was usually fine with some under armour and fleece, but I recently started using the BARE CT200 and don't think I'll go back. That combo (according to the catalogue) is good to 50F deg temps.

I recently purchased a NexGen as well ( used on ebay) The suit is very nice for an entry level. I passed my Drysuit class in it and realized the neck seal was trimed a bit to big for me. I will be sending it to bare to get it replaced before I head out to the 44deg. water off California's North coast. I have the Polar loft extream from bare it is very nice!!
Enjoy your new suit

People use the term "entry level" when describing the NexGen in the perjorative. I usually don't scrimp on dive equipment, nor do I overspend.

You should have no problem with your NexGen. I have used mine extensively in Alaska, BC, and Lake Superior and Lake Michigan for six years and just had the seals replaced so should get another few years out of them. The only "upgrade" I would suggest is suspenders if yours did not come with them. Was it as nice as my DUI FLX 50/50 that I had for work, in a word "no". Was is comfortable and did it keep me warm and dry, in a word "yes" which for me makes it a great value.

As to your undergarment, several options are avialable. I use a fleece 35D made by Andys. It worked well in all of the aforementioned places, including our 36 degree (water temp) December dive excursions in AK. Other manufacturers have similarly priced and equally functional undergarments. You will find that thinsulate type undergarments are less bulky.

Enjoy your suit. I hope it works as well for you as mine has for me.

For mid-40s, although it depends on how resilient your body is to the cold, I would highly recommend going with the thickest undergarments you can find. I don't think anyone makes anything that is "too hot" in 45 degree water.

I like mine. I had an opportunity to try the DUI TL350 and was very tempted to 'upgrade' for a very cheap price but I listened to my head saying.. you really like the Bare better.. why change??
Sure front zipper is nice if there is nobody around to help you.. but that probably will not happen.
Sure it's softer and more supple.. except for those crazy feet.. why do they put a seam there?? The Nexgen actually felt more comfortable to me overall. Yes .. suspenders.. get those..

I got the Bare T100 Polarwear Drysuit Undergarment as part of the package I bought and it has worked well for me in the ocean in CA (60s)and MA (high 40's). The 200 might be better in the lakes.

You will love diving dry.

I've had my Bare Nex Gen for a few years now. It's always kept me dry. I'm a very happy customer! I own the Bare T100 undergarment. It works great for mid-to-high 50 degree F water, which is what we typically have here in San Diego. If the water dips into the high 40s/low 50s, I layer an extra midweight fleece underneath the T100.

Tip #1: Always wear a lightweight wicking polypropylene top/bottom underneath everything. I get mine online from Campmor. This helps minimize washing the T100, which can decrease the insulating properties of the material.

Tip #2: Wear thick wool socks. It prevents those little piggies from becoming numb.

Tip #3: I've found that gaiters work well to minimize airflow to the feet. Bare Nex-Gens don't exactly have a tapered cut in the legs.

Enjoy your drysuit.

this year i am also a newbee to diving a bare dry suit and i went in to buy a nex gen and walked out with a bare trilam hd tech dry....i dont think i could of asked for a better suit, although i have never tried a different suit, it would be hard to be much better than the new trilam material bare uses, i think its twice as tough as the dui trilam and still dries really fast, it is a little larger to pack than the original trilam or dui's trilam but i think it will take a lifetime of diving to start to show wear on the thing. bares are great suits good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom