Bare Nex-Gen 2007 vs. 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Undergarment size completely depends on the person. I have been wearing a thin undergarment in 50* water while buddy is wearing a much heavier undergarment on the same dive because he gets cold easier than I do. At some point you will end up with multiple undergarments. Between the Pinnacle and the Bare there will be no difference in the suit as far as thermal Protection goes. Both of them offer NO thermal protection, which is fine you just make up for it with undergarments. Neither of my suits offer any thermal protection. The only drysuits that offer any thermal protection on their own are Compressed Neo (a little) and regular neoprene.

Boat SJU - There will be PLENTY of stuff you can buy from ST. I am constantly ordering something from there. If you save some bucks with a gift card on a suit or you save money on a suit because they are making room for the newer model, then you save more money on other things with the GC. You will need a drusuit hood, gloves, possible new fins. That is just stuff for the DS. I am sure there is plenty of other things you could use that GC on and if there is not at the moment give it a few months and when you decide that you need something you will be happy that you have a GC to use.

I have bought a lot of gear from both Mike at DRIS and Joe and Larry at ST. Both places are top notch operations... Dont forget that with both places you get 10% off of orders for being a member of this board. Probably not on a killer deal like the Pinnacle DS or on the NexGen from ST, but for 99% of what you would order from them you will, even with a GC...

Phil

Phil,

I like your logic. Let's see if my wife does ???

I'll add another vote for the Pinnacle Freedom sale at Dive Right In Scuba. There are a couple threads on this board comparing the suit with the BARE Nex-Gen, and most divers that have seen/dived both seem to prefer the Pinnacle suit (trilam vs bilam, nicer seals, thigh pocket and suspenders included, etc). Plus DRIS is throwing in a hood for the price ($575).

Here's a direct link to the DRIS Pinnacle suit on sale in case anyone else wants to take a look:

https://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/product_info.php?ref=5&products_id=1748

Last edited:
I have and sell bare drysuits,i was a dui man to the bone(flex50/50 cf200x) until i dove a bare xcd2 pro. No comparrison the bare is hands down a warmer,less expensive,and high quality.Where else can you get a lifetime warranty on a drysuit like bare has??

Plus DRIS is throwing in a hood for the price. With the 10% off link ("10off" code), the suit is under $520 shipped!

Ok,but don't you still need to buy an undergarment, dry-suit gloves, & over-boots??

SSSSteve

Ps - boat_sju, thanks for telling me about this thread!!

Last edited:
Ok,but don't you still need to buy an undergarment, dry-suit gloves, & over-boots??

SSSSteve

Ps - boat_sju, thanks for telling me about this thread!!

Steve,

I don't have a drysuit yet but I have the same questions as you here.

What I intend to do is use some of the multitude of hunting/skiing underwear I have. Other threads have suggested this approach.

For over-boots I plan on getting a pair of high top Chuck Taylors to keep the air out of my feet and to protect the neoprene socks (also discussed in other threads). This kind of suits my style, or I should say, lack of style.

I plan on using my wet gloves. For some reason although I'm claustrophobic, diving doesn't bother me - except that I have to be able to get my hands out of my gloves easily. For some reason the thought of dry gloves makes me nervous. Weird, I know.

I figure I will probably need to buy new fins though.

Steve,

I don't have a drysuit yet but I have the same questions as you here.

What I intend to do is use some of the multitude of hunting/skiing underwear I have. Other threads have suggested this approach.

For over-boots I plan on getting a pair of high top Chuck Taylors to keep the air out of my feet and to protect the neoprene socks (also discussed in other threads). This kind of suits my style, or I should say, lack of style.

I plan on using my wet gloves. For some reason although I'm claustrophobic, diving doesn't bother me - except that I have to be able to get my hands out of my gloves easily. For some reason the thought of dry gloves makes me nervous. Weird, I know.

I figure I will probably need to buy new fins though.

If they are good hunting undergarments you should be fine. You just want to make sure that you have a good wicking base layer. No Cotton.... I started out using this same method until I bought my first undergarment. The regualr drysuit undergarments are better suited than hunting clothes but the hunting clothes will work. Check out Rondell on Ebay. He has some nice undergarments for a great price. If you search in this forum for Ebay undergarments you will see TONS of reviews on his stuff. I bought the 4 way antartica and the polortech booties.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom