Bare Nex-Gen 2007 vs. 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boat sju

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm saving up for a new Bare Nex-Gen drysuit, but the 2007 model that's on clearance at ScubaToys is seriously tempting me. It's been out there for a while though - is the 2008 that much "improved" to justify the cost difference.

Did you get one yet? Do you like it? Need an opinion as I am thinking of getting an 07..LP has a good package deal on one right now.

I didn't buy one - seems like nobody has much to say about the '07's now that the '08's are out. My buddy bought an 08 that was for sale here on SB. I haven't gotten to see it yet.

We were going to go pool diving tonight but the schools are closed due to the cold.

seems like it may be a suit for someone like me,rec,fun,just to stay warm.Most of the ones that give an opinion are the really experienced,cave,wreck,tech type divers that have spent 3 or 4 thousand on a dry suit..I'm not that far into it yet and think the Bare would be ok..I have asked a time or 2 this same question without anyones answer,so thats why I think most are into the more expensive suits and dont care to talk about the lower end with a new diver,since they dont use them,probably dont know much about them..I just cant afford the Fusions and DUIs and such right now...But please let me know what you think about it and how it works when you get a chance...I;m still likeing the package deal at LP......Thanks,,,,be safe..P.S..I amgoing to call LP and ask about the difference in th 08 and 07,,,i;ll let you know what they say

seems like it may be a suit for someone like me,rec,fun,just to stay warm.Most of the ones that give an opinion are the really experienced,cave,wreck,tech type divers that have spent 3 or 4 thousand on a dry suit..I'm not that far into it yet and think the Bare would be ok..I have asked a time or 2 this same question without anyones answer,so thats why I think most are into the more expensive suits and dont care to talk about the lower end with a new diver,since they dont use them,probably dont know much about them..I just cant afford the Fusions and DUIs and such right now...But please let me know what you think about it and how it works when you get a chance...I;m still likeing the package deal at LP......Thanks,,,,be safe..P.S..I amgoing to call LP and ask about the difference in th 08 and 07,,,i;ll let you know what they say

I guess I am one of those experienced divers that you mention and I don't mind talking to new divers. In fact, I rather enjoy it as a way of payback because when I first started out more experienced people help me.

I pick my gear for functionality (and the way it looks on me). Is a $3,000 drysuit better? Yes. I had a DUI FLX 50/50 issued for work and loved it. Does it make a difference for most diving? Not in my experience. My next suit will be a BARE, but I have no reason to replace the BARE Nex Gen that I have.

I have been diving in my 2004 Bare Nex Gen drysuit all over Alaska (shore and boat dives), Lake Superior, Lake Michigan, British Columbia and have responded positively to most threads that ask. for an opinion. But, I saw the question so often I grew weary of responding, that is, until I saw this thread.

For me, the suit works fine in all conditions across a range of activities. I would definitely recommend suspenders, an option I had installed when I sent the suit to the factory to have the seals replaced two years ago. For real cold water, a warmer undergarment than the one they provide will be needed (but the one they sent me works great as an underlayer when I am working outside in -20 weather, so I am really not out anything as I got value from it.)

The one drawback is the across the shoulders zip means that you have to ask you buddy for assistance. But then if that bothers the people you dive with, perhaps you are diving with the wrong people.

Bottom line. BARE Nex Gen is a fine suit across a range of activities. If it suits your needs buy it and with the money you save go diving or buy other equipment. I hope you have as much fun diving as I have had over the last 25 years. You get to do a great activity, meet some really neat people, and see wonderous things.

If you go to the Hot Deals section, Mike from Dive Right In Scuba has a great sale on Pinnacle drysuits... At the price he is selling them they will not last long, so if you are in the market for a new suit this is a good chance. I have never dove a pinnacle, but like the previous poster says there is no reason to spend TONS of money on a super suit if you are not doing something that may take advantage of the extra heavy material or what ever is makeing it so much more expensive... Nothing wrong at all with the Bare NexGen's, although I could not tell you what the difference is between 07 and 08. I have seen people diving them quite a bit. I personally dive a White Fusion

Phil

skdvr,

Yeah that Freedom for $575 looks like a great deal. I got a nice gift certificate from ST that I was hoping to use though.

Thanks SKDVR for the information.I will be mostly south of the mason-dixon,I just want to make my diving time a little longer into the winter months.I would imagine maybe not more than 45 degree water temp.Alot of early year Florida gulf .No need for a REAL expensive suit yet,just fun rec. that will get me time in the water...Thanks

So are you going to get one Miller? Looks like there's more sizes left to choose from with the Pinnacle.

Yeah,,I think I am going to go with the Bare nex-gen 07,,its a good package deal for the price and I have talked with others and read what others that used or own it say.For me,entry level,fun rec. it should work well.It comes with the T1oo undergarmenr that will be ok for me down south,,They say up north one may need a better undergarment for the really colder water.

Back
Top Bottom