Bare HD Tech vs. DUI CLX450

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkster

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone out there make an informed comparison between these two suits? I believe the suits are similar enough to make a comparison, if not let me know. The Bare has polyster on the top and "Cordura-like" laminate on the bottom, whereas the CLX has Cordura on the top and polyster on the bottom. I could get Cordura all over with the Special Production, however, with cuff rings and the sports package, such an SP CLX450 would cost about $600 more than a comparably equipped fully-custom sized Bare HD Tech (not to mention I could probably get free undergarments if I went with the Bare). Obviously these suits are not exactly the same but still a dramatic price differential. Is the legendary DUI name really worth this price premium? I initially thought so but now I'm starting to have my doubts.

sharkster:
Can anyone out there make an informed comparison between these two suits? I believe the suits are similar enough to make a comparison, if not let me know. The Bare has polyster on the top and "Cordura-like" laminate on the bottom, whereas the CLX has Cordura on the top and polyster on the bottom. I could get Cordura all over with the Special Production, however, with cuff rings and the sports package, such an SP CLX450 would cost about $600 more than a comparably equipped fully-custom sized Bare HD Tech (not to mention I could probably get free undergarments if I went with the Bare). Obviously these suits are not exactly the same but still a dramatic price differential. Is the legendary DUI name really worth this price premium? I initially thought so but now I'm starting to have my doubts.

IMO the $600 xtra IS worth it. The Bare suits a couple of my buddies have don't seem to fit as well as my DUI (CLX 450) suit and my DUI diving buddies suits (CLX 450's and TLS 350's, all stock sizes). You would think with Bares bigger selection of "stock" sizes they would/should fit better. I have not seen a "custom" suit from Bare. A better comparison to the CLX 450 would be the Diving Concepts cordura suit (Z flex?). Retail is around $1300 for the D.C. I like my DUI suit and would (and will) buy another from them. In the end you'll have better re-sale with the DUI and if you spread the extra $600 over the life of the suit it's not that much more $$$ (I can talk myself into a lot of stuff that way:D ). Good luck on your purchase.

Thanks for sharing your experience matt. In fact the HD Tech suit can be ordered custom cut, and if you look at Bare's website there are way more measurements taken than for DUI. And I have been quoted $175 extra to do a custom cut over stock, whereas on DUI's site you'll see a Special Production suit is around $400 more than a stock. Ouch.
I would be really interested to hear from someone who dove both these suits and had both fit like a glove (well, a trilam glove at least :D ), because it's hard to like a suit that doesn't fit. Sadly such a person probably doesn't exist...

Sorry if you mis-understood. I didn't mean to say that Bare doesn't make a "custom cut" suit. I meant that I've never seen anyone wearing one. Most of the custom cut DUI suits I've seen weren't anything special fit wise. Be very careful with the custom suits, it's a lot easier (and quicker) returning a stock size suit if you don't like the fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom