BARE Dry suit owners, please help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cyprian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Alright folks, would anyone who owns a BARE dry suit be so kind as to measure the inseam and compare it to BARE's chart.

The reason I ask is that the numbers do not match on my BARE wetsuits and I'm thinking of buying a BARE dry suit without going custom. Unfortunately an XXLS dry suit isn't stocked in my area, even at Scubatoys.

The BARE XXLS wetsuit fits me, but it states on the website that the inseam is 31 1/4". No way. I wear 36 x 30 pants and my true inseam is 28" and my wetsuit stops at my angle bone. Now, I cannot say that I truly know how to measure an inseam, but I even measured from the point where the legs meet to the bottom of one leg of the suit and didn't come up with 31 1/4". I have another BARE that is the same size, different series, same measurement.

Anyway, if this is true then it is good news for me because I was afraid I might have to go custom. Every LDS I contacted around here said probably custom, but, as mentioned previously, none of them had a size for me to try.

Basically I'm a puggy bodybuilder type....lol. I'm back in the gym now, but I have let myself go a little bit around the mid-section (spare tire). That said, I'll throw out a few measurements. I will include pant size, true waist and inseam size, chest size and jacket size. I've seen a few people get on here and list their pant and jacket size, well that doesn't really work, especially if you are always on the edge of the chest size like me.

5' 9", 225 lbs, 46 1/2" Chest (48R Jacket), 40" Waist, 28" Inseam, 36 x 30 pant size. Shoe size - 10. The chest size is always my problem...I'm 2XL chest with medium legs! :D

Anyway, I know I started this long thread mentioning BARE....but if anyone else reads this that has another brand in mind, please feel free to share. I just like BARE because they have so many sizes.

Thanks for reading,

Cyp

Yes you'll find it difficult to reconcile your actual measured inseam with those that BARE reports on its size chart.

First off you need to measure yourself accurately using a book in your crotch. Have someone else do this to ensure the book is level and then measure down to the medial malleolus bone on your ankle. Do not measure to the floor.

When measuring the BARE inseam it is best to hang the suit with the boots just touching the floor. Again measure from the lowest point in the crotch stitching to the estimated ankle position in the boot or sock.

The ankle bone (medial malleolus) is about 3 inches up from the floor.

Hope that helps.

HI there-- i JUST went through this with bare.. Their website sucks regarding how they want you to measure that inseam and other measurements..

To measure the inseam you need to go from the taint-- down your leg- past your ankle-- down to the floor.. Another way to do it is-- take a book and with the binding of the book being horizontal-- slide it up between your legs untill it butts up against your crotch bone(the area between the front and the back)--- stand with your legs just a little bit apart-- and measure from that top of the book(the part touching you) down to the floor-- that is the measurement they want.. It should end up the same-- or very close to the other way of doing it that i mentioned above... Be sure to have someone help you and dont bend over to see the number.. Cuase when you do-=-- youll effect the measurement.. With bares you can add or subtract up to 2 inches to either the arm or leg.. I just got a sb system drysuit and added 2 inches to the legs and 1 inch to the arm... They charge a 100$ for each end to add or subtract.. So for me it was 200$ to adjust those parts..

in dfw you have a shop that sells bare-- go in there and see what they say.. DFW Scuba (163.5)
5200 Airport Freeway Suite G, Haltom City, TX, USA
Phone: 817-838-5300

Also -- scubatoys is close to you Scuba Toys (188.3)
1609 S. I35E, Carrollton, TX, USA
Phone: 972-406-2996
Email: info@scubatoys.com and those guys can help you-- plus i think they have a size/fit guarantee..

HI there-- i JUST went through this with bare.. Their website sucks regarding how they want you to measure that inseam and other measurements..

To measure the inseam you need to go from the taint-- down your leg- past your ankle-- down to the floor..

Hoopa,

You are in fact correct and I was mistaken. I just pulled out the Bare custom drysuit order form from a year ago and it does say to measure from the crotch to floor.

My confusion arose during a purchase when I measured several actual stock trilam drysuits from crotch to floor and found it was about 3 inches longer than the inseam reported in the size chart. I may still be confused on the matter but when I called Bare in Langley, B.C. they told me something along the lines that the suit's actual measured inseam is longer than what is in the sizing chart in order to allow for flexibility, undergarments, etc.

I had them remove an inch off the stock suit and it is still too long and when the suit is measured from crotch to floor it still is about 1.5 inches longer than the reported inseam in the sizing chart. All very odd.

This entire discussion is rather pointless. You live in the DFW area. Go to Scubatoys.
Why wonder whether you'll fit into an off-the-rack Bare drysuit?
Try it on!

You'll be able to sort all of this out in a few minutes in the Scubatoys dressing room.

This entire discussion is rather pointless. You live in the DFW area. Go to Scubatoys.
Why wonder whether you'll fit into an off-the-rack Bare drysuit?
Try it on!

You'll be able to sort all of this out in a few minutes in the Scubatoys dressing room.

Bubbletrubble, I'll be the first to admit that I've enjoyed some of your posts in the past and found great information contained therein, but I don't see this discussion as pointless in the least.

As mentioned in the original post, I've already talked to Scubatoys and they do not have any XL or XXLS drysuits on the shelf. I have planned to go over and get a custom measurement from them if need be, but as of right now they do not even have an XXL drysuit in stock for me to try on and see if the leg inseam is simply way too long.

I was just curious as to whether or not fellow divers with BARE drysuits where running into the same problem as relates to the sizing chart.

And, considering the fact that I learned something about measuring the inseam, I would consider it an educational thread not a pointless thread. YMMV.

Take care,

Cyp

OK. Sorry I missed that part of your original post.

Did Scubatoys offer to order a size XXLS Bare drysuit for you? I'm sure they get shipments from Bare quite regularly.
If so, that approach would be preferable. Measurements can be off. There's no substitute for trying on a drysuit in person.
FWIW, I'd be shocked if Scubatoys refused to order that size for you.
As you probably already know, Scubatoys has an excellent return policy which covers items that don't fit.

While you're at Scubatoys, it would be worthwhile trying on off-the-rack sizes for any brand drysuit that might fit. I wouldn't limit your search to just Bare (and I do realize that Bare has an impressive array of off-the-rack sizes).

OK. Sorry I missed that part of your original post.

Did Scubatoys offer to order a size XXLS Bare drysuit for you? I'm sure they get shipments from Bare quite regularly.
If so, that approach would be preferable. Measurements can be off. There's no substitute for trying on a drysuit in person.
FWIW, I'd be shocked if Scubatoys refused to order that size for you.
As you probably already know, Scubatoys has an excellent return policy which covers items that don't fit.

While you're at Scubatoys, it would be worthwhile trying on off-the-rack sizes for any brand drysuit that might fit. I wouldn't limit your search to just Bare (and I do realize that Bare has an impressive array of off-the-rack sizes).

I'm with you all the way on this one. I've had nothing but top of the line customer service in dealing with Scubatoys. And, yes, I still plan to venture over there in the next couple of weeks. When I talked to Joe this past week he apologized saying that right now he just didn't have a lot of XL and above drysuits in stock to try on, not that they wouldn't be getting any in soon. :)

I didn't ask if they would order one, but perhaps that is the best way to go as I believe they would just stick it on their shelf and not charge me if it didn't fit.

And I'm not limiting myself to BARE per se, but I'm looking for an entry level drysuit as it will be my first and I was trying to find an off the rack. If I'm going to go custom, then I'm probably going for a DUI TLS 350 to which Joe at Scubatoys has also offered to graciously extend me a nice deal on. LOL.

Decisions, decisions.....:wink:

Back
Top Bottom