Barbados Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agebicki

New
Reaction score
Hi there. I am new to SCUBA Board and just received my (PADI) Open Water Certification. I planned to do my open water dives in Barbados and did some research on SCUBA Board regarding Barbados dive centers. There weren’t very many postings so I went with the dive center recommended by my hotel, Reefers & Wreckers. One of the instructor/owners, Michael Mahy, took our group on our open water certification dives. He was exceptionally knowledgeable, enthusiastic and patient:) He made sure that we understood the required skills before we entered the water, felt comfortable and had a great time. He used his extensive knowledge of the local dive sites to provide us with an incredibly varied dive experience (we saw an amazing variety of aquatic life, reefs and a wreck). I would definitely recommend Reefers & Wreckers to anyone traveling to Barbados.

This website rocks– it is such a great resource!
:monkeydan

thanks for the info- what were you dives like?- what was the underwater life like?

munkispank:
thanks for the info- what were you dives like?- what was the underwater life like?

The visibility was incredible (it is hard for me to judge the number of feet). We went down about 55 ft. We saw a spotted moray eel, trumpet fish, spanish hog fish, a parrot fish, tons of blue tangs. There were more but I don't have my dive log book with me right now. The water was very warm- I wore a 3 mm shorty wetsuit and was never cold. The coral was beautiful as well. The whole experience definitely made me want to do more diving.

We are headed to Barbados in Oct. and plan to dive the Stav as well as some other reef & wreck sites. I appreciate the info on the shop you used. As we are also finding that there is not alot of info out there on the Barbados Operators.

Where did you stay and what type of vis did you have?

The folks on this BBS are terrific in answering questions and offering help. Glad you found us. Now that your hooked on diving, where will you do most of your diving?

Zuzanne

We stayed for 6 nights at Cobblers Cove and loved it. It was beautiful, low key and I felt like we really got the local flavor staying there. There is a fairly good snorkleing area right outside the hotel which was great to do on the days we didn't dive.

We stayed for two nights at Sandy Lane- which is the premier resort on Barbados. That was over-the-top opulent. It was by far the poshest place I have ever stayed. However, it didn't have the local flavor of Cobblers Cove. Both places were incredibly nice- it just kind of depends what you like.

We also ate at some great restaurants. The Fish Pot was my favorite. The Mews and Olives in Holetown were also good.

Have a great time. I'm jealous- I would love to go back.

As far as future dives go, I would like to go to do some more Carribean dives- the coral and fish are just so pretty down there.

zuzanne:
We are headed to Barbados in Oct. and plan to dive the Stav as well as some other reef & wreck sites. I appreciate the info on the shop you used. As we are also finding that there is not alot of info out there on the Barbados Operators.

Where did you stay and what type of vis did you have?

The folks on this BBS are terrific in answering questions and offering help. Glad you found us. Now that your hooked on diving, where will you do most of your diving?

Zuzanne

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom