Barbados - equipment, weight, tank rentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terramar

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello-

Going to be in Barbados for a couple of weeks, and I've got a few shore dives I'd like to do. I'll be with someone who may need full gear rental. I'll need weights and a tank.

Any suggestions for a good place to rent gear? Barbados Blue only shows pricing for their boat dives and courses....nothing about gear rental. And they've been slow to respond to an email inquiry..

Any suggestions for a good place to rent from?

Tom

Try speaking to Hazells, if anyone does it they will on the Island they will know. If no luck PM me and I can reach out directly to a couple of the DM's at Barbados Blue and a few friends who run watersport companies who again might be able to help.
If you are doing shore dives, do check out the cement factory jetty just south of Maycocks beach in the north of the island, provided there is not a north swell running

Hi Tom,

I am looking for shore diving spots, but the infos are difficult to find! We are used to Bonaire... Can you share any spots you know or heard of? I will follow the answers for the equipment rental as well... Many thanks :)

Marie-France

Hi Tom, did you end up finding a place for long-term gear rental? I'd like to find a similar situation for January 2024.

I'm spending my last day in Barbados today and struck out on shore diving. I called 3 dive shops and they all said something to the effect of "no one in Barbados will rent you equipment". I asked for just a tank, same answer. Actually got laughed at by a few. So forget shore diving in Barbados unless you have your own gear including tank and weights, unless you've got an "in" with someone.

I'm spending my last day in Barbados today and struck out on shore diving. I called 3 dive shops and they all said something to the effect of "no one in Barbados will rent you equipment". I asked for just a tank, same answer. Actually got laughed at by a few. So forget shore diving in Barbados unless you have your own gear including tank and weights, unless you've got an "in" with someone.
That matches my experience. They have a bunch of dives within 200 yards of shore in Bridgetown but they won't rent cylinders. Instead, they charge folks 90 bucks per cylinder and have them do the sites as boat dives! (Or $30 to boat out as snorklers.) All the shops charge about the same thing so it is some kind of coordinated pricing thing.

I swam out with my personal flag and did them as free dives. I followed some scuba divers a couple times to see if there was something I was missing because the situation seemed like a massive rip-off.

It's kind of sad. Someone tricked those poor people into getting up early, getting to a pier, loading a boat and riding out to a site that begins 200 yards from a popular tourist beach and ranges from 10 to 50 feet in depth, then charged them $90 per cylinder to share that site with hordes of snorklers who paid 30 bucks to get out there, and about a dozen people who just swam out for free.

I bet some of those scuba divers were pretty pissed when they realized what they had paid for.

Back
Top Bottom