Banded v. Unbanded Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For all the reasons not to have a bungeed wing, I have never heard of a case that supports the reasoning. I dive a bungeed wing and love it. As for the concenr with the air pockets, this can easily be remedeed with adjusting the tension on the various bands.

Everyone I tech dive with has either the OMS wings or Dive Rite. A couple of us have used both bungeed and unbungeed and actually find that trim is better and we have no air pockets. None of us has experienced any downside to the bungees or any of the ill effects often described although I admit, I haven't tried to puncture my wing to see if it deflated. I do note the difference between the Dive Rite and OMS wings though. With my Dive Rite, the bungee is not as constrictive so even if the deflation theory was true, it would only deflate to a certain point. Also, as noted before, it is a one piece bungee that can easily be cut.

ive have dove a bungied wing for years, so have many of my friends. ive never witness any of the downsides often spoken about on the net. also, when someone quotes a competing manufacturer's opinon of his competitions product, i take it with a grain of salt. i would expect a person who doesnt make bungies wings to not have a favorable opinion of them. thats just good business sense.

with all that said i would never recommend a bungied wing to anyone. as a matter of fact, im an intructor, and recommend students to not buy one. not because of anything ive ever read on the net or because im dir but because they are a PITA. they suck to put on and they wear out. thus repeating the sucky process. if your an active diver you will notice they wear uneven thus negating any advantage they are intented to give. very common for my wing to bunch on the left, then i adjust, then bunch on the right. to much fiddling with them over the years on the boat and at home. maybe im making a moutain out of a mole hill but if you like trying to get 12 rubber bands to all expand and contract evenly, god bless, buy a bungied wing. if you like putting a wing on your doubles and getting wet buy a non bungied wing. my 2cents

weekender:
ive have dove a bungied wing for years, so have many of my friends. ive never witness any of the downsides often spoken about on the net. also, when someone quotes a competing manufacturer's opinon of his competitions product, i take it with a grain of salt. i would expect a person who doesnt make bungies wings to not have a favorable opinion of them. thats just good business sense.

with all that said i would never recommend a bungied wing to anyone. as a matter of fact, im an intructor, and recommend students to not buy one. not because of anything ive ever read on the net or because im dir but because they are a PITA. they suck to put on and they wear out. thus repeating the sucky process. if your an active diver you will notice they wear uneven thus negating any advantage they are intented to give. very common for my wing to bunch on the left, then i adjust, then bunch on the right. to much fiddling with them over the years on the boat and at home. maybe im making a moutain out of a mole hill but if you like trying to get 12 rubber bands to all expand and contract evenly, god bless, buy a bungied wing. if you like putting a wing on your doubles and getting wet buy a non bungied wing. my 2cents

The best arguement I've read so far...

I just started diving the OMS 94 lb. bungied wing. On my first wreck pentration I snagged something. After reaching around to find out the band was snagged I just leaned away and the bungie tore off. Not much to it at all. I also like the trim ability. For short doubles that I borrow from friends, I just loosen up the cords near the valves and a I stay on a good plane.

I'm getting a DR/back plate and my first set of twins and after reading all the threads I'll be getting the banded wings. If I end up not liking the bands... I'll remove them. thanks for the info

macgyver2258:
I just started diving the OMS 94 lb. bungied wing. On my first wreck pentration I snagged something. After reaching around to find out the band was snagged I just leaned away and the bungie tore off.
not calling you a liar, but to tear one of the OMS bungees you need to do a little more than that. Those things are super tough. Unless the one you used was old and spent more time under the sun than the water.

weekender:

I just too the bungies off my wing for this very reason. I wouldn't have known how to explain it though.

Thanks

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom