Band Positioning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jared0425

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Do bands have to go on perfectly by measurements, or can you eyeball them pretty close? Putting together a new set by myself and eyeballed it to within a 1/8 of an inch all around.

Do you mean banding a pair of doubles?

The bolts should be 11" center to center. However you'll notice slots cut in many back plates because diver renting doubles in other places found that the people assembling the tanks just eyeballed the measurement.

As far as the bands being even all the way around the tanks, eyeball calibration is close enough, and in fact it's difficult to measure with any accuracy as tank dimensions, shoulder profiles, etc all vary slightly anyway.

The critical dimension will be alignment of the manifold and that will require the top of the necks be at the same height and that the tanks be truly parallel with each other - and that is controlled/adjusted by the positioning and differential tightening of the upper and lower bands around the tanks.

In addition to getting the 11" spacing correct, you want to locate them on the tanks for best trim; this usually means getting the top band about as high as you can, near the shoulder. But, it is somewhat personal. I use AL80s, and they really trim out better for me if the the tanks are low, meaning bands high.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom