Bananarama Bedbugs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

youngfam

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a question

Read yest on another Roatan forum from someone who had a terrible experience at Bananarama in one of the suites - biggest problem was bedbugs that bit them terribly and kept them from the beds (they couldn't get another room nor a refund when left early for an emergency back home)

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Read yest on another Roatan forum from someone who had a terrible experience at Bananarama in one of the suites - biggest problem was bedbugs that bit them terribly and kept them from the beds (they couldn't get another room nor a refund when left early for an emergency back home)

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Hi everyone!

I hope you can help with this itchy concern. I read on another forum recently from a disgruntled customer who stayed in a Bananarama suite. Apparently the beds were infested with bedbugs and the owner refused to deal with the problem.

Insects/bugs are typically expected and not a bother to us in Cental America, however 7 nights with bedbugs is a bit concerning.

Any thoughts or comments on this?

PS: Bringing our two children with us for their open water certifications - want it to be a good experience and have already sent a depost!

Ughhhh sand fleas. Do a search on goggle on sand fleas. Leave some nasty welts and are a big headache!! They are like chiggers but itch worse! Got them real bad in St. Croix one time.

The sand flea, also called the "no-see-um" or the "hop-along", is an annoying flea-like creature who packs a mean bite. Its bite is actually a sting and they group by the hundred, typically causing a lot of bites when they attack.

The European species is only one tenth of an inch long and resembles a small mosquito, whereas the long-horned sand flea, commonly found on the American east coast, has antennae up to one inch longer than its white waxy body.

Sand fleas feed in the wee morning hours and late dusk. Since the larva of the sand flea eats tiny aquatic animals, you will typically run into this insect when you are at the beach. The sand flea resembles an insect but is actually a crustacean and lays its eggs in rotting seaweed, on which it feeds, when not preying upon pasty white beachgoers. Paler skin is thinner and therefore, easier for the flea to penetrate.

These sand fleas live in the sand and will attack anything within ten inches of the ground. That is why the beachgoer will find a cluster of bites around his or her ankles if they've been out seashell hunting. That is, only when the weather in warm. In the winter they move with the ocean towards warmer waters.

Their swarms will produce a high pitched wine so if you are on the beach ad hear something similar, beware. Their stings can cause welts and lesions lasting hours on end, along with pain and itching. The sand flea is not a pleasant animal but can be avoided with the use of an everyday insect repellant.

youngfam...

often when people don't get their way, they will invent issues to support their displeasure. IOW, there are always THREE sides to every story: His, theirs and what actually happened! Don't read one bad account and take it as being true.

Thank you,

your information helped relieve some worry. we try to approach such situations with a sense of humour - makes for a great story later. some people however get bent out of shape quickly and i think it may have been the case in this situation.

thanks to you both!

Stayed at Fosters on West Bay near Bananarama about a month ago. Never heard anything about bedbugs, but sand flies are a big problem. Take lots of repellant that has a very high percentage of deet and also something to treat the inevitable bites. If you tend to react strongly to bug bites, take a good antihistamine with you. These little dudes are about 1/10th inch long, black and have 3 inch incisors. My legs felt like they were on fire.

My wife and I stayed a week with Ron and the crew at Bananrama in June 2005 and had a wonderful time. The room was clean and well kept and we had no problems. There are nicer places in Roatan, but I would have no reservations going back again.

The dive instructor/guides were great! Anja and Liber really took care of us. In fact, we stayed our second week in the West End at Lost Paradise and still dove everyday of that week with Bananarama. Good folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom