ball swivel question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishoutawater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,
Went diving for the first time in a couple years last Saturday, and during the dive I was reminded how my second stage hose caused me to have to bite down harder when turning my head. Not really a big deal, but at the same time, kinda annoying.
I'd read a couple other posts about the ball swivel: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BallSwivel
and I was wondering, do all you folks that get to dive all the time use them?
Do they decrease jaw fatigue?
What kind of seal do they have in them?
And are they universal fit, or do I have to identify fitting type, thread pitch and all that stuff?
And the last question, Has anybody ever had one come apart and totally fail during a dive?

1: 360 degree swivels significantly reduce jaw strain
2: Don't know. Never disassembled one
3: I'm not certain, but I think they're a universal LP regulator thread
4: I've been diving a 360 degree swivel on my primary 2nd stage for over 7 years and it has given me no problems whatsoever

You will probably receive posts that state that the 360 degree "can be a potential failure point". Please note that the statement indicates that it "is possible" that it can fail, not that it will fail. One's o-ring can fail also.
th K

Thanks Kraken,
I'm going to go ahead and get one.
It's the aircraft mechanic in me that tends to ask questions regarding reliability.
The question about what kind of seal is in it was brought about servicability issues, but at 20 bucks, who cares?
Yeah, anytime a new mechanical joint is introduced into anything, a new potential failure point has been added. But that's why we have redundancies.
Of course, having a ball socket repeatedly slapping me in the head at ninety feet could suck. :bonk:

Actually, I have ball swivels on both my 2nd stages.

Nowadays even Atomic includes ball swivel as a standard item on some of their regs.

A ball swivel coupled with a Sea-Cure custom moldable mouthpiece makes a world of difference in how your reg feels and behaves.

Safe dives . . .
. . . safer ascents

the K

See now? That's what's so cool about this internet thingy.
I saw what looked like a custom mouthpiece on someones rig, but I didn't think to ask about it.
Thanks for that tip as well Kraken.

I've had one on my primary for about 5 years and never had a problem. I love it. Based on the old parts I get back when I get the reg serviced, the seal is made with an O-ring, sandwiched in the ball section. It is replaced during normal servicing.

I've moved mine onto several regs with no issue, the latest being a Apeks ATX200. The only problem is that you need a narrow wrench to fit between the swivel and the second stage, so it may be easier to get your local reg tech to install it for you.

I know several other divers who use them. I have never heard of a failure. The DIR folk don't like them as they break the rules of absolute simplicity and necessity.

You're most welcome, Fish.

I have to put my Sea-Cure mouthpiece at the top of the list of my "cheapest and most effective suba accessories I've ever bought" list.

Even put one on my snorkel - yes, I have a snorkel, I snorkel with it!

the K

On another scuba site, I won a pair of swivels and short hoses for powering tools underwater. Since I normally don't build boats underwater or disassemble offshore oil rigs from the bottom up, they kinda sat on the shelf, but they were beautifully machined and I hated not using them.
So I stuck them on my second stages, and they were AWESOME in terms of improving the comfort of the second stage. My wife, instructor for a different agency, espied me using this and demanded the second swivel, and she is about the most reactionary diver I know.
Lots and lots of people go on and on about how it's another failure point...blah...blah...blah.
Looking at the machining on these babies though, if they ever fail on me underwater, it's probably because I just got vaporized by a nuke or a really gassy whale.

Thanks Darkstar. So the swivel IS servicable. That's good to know.
As a mechanic, I've acquired lots and lots of tools over the years. I even have an assortment of skinny wrenches, metric and SAE. But I'm also one of those rare souls that can fix most anything with just a hammer. Computers, watches, TV's, carburetors,...even ordnance. :D

Too funny, Tom !!!
I love it . . .

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom