Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverwannabe:
But I cannnot imagine going there now. While I know that many of the people of Bali depend on jobs which Holland America and others provide - just knowing that not very far away I could be encountering the remnants of people someone loved while having a swim makes me feel that this is not the time to take advantage of a good deal!
3000 km or about 2000 mile distance from the affected area in super rich waters would result in bare bones sinking to the bottom of the ocean in a very short time.

Perhaps if somehow a "remanant" got caught on an oceanliner incased in a plastic bag and was dragged to Bali then maybe it would happen. If no plastic bag, the water pressure would tear off what remaining soft rotting tissue there is.

A legitamate excuse maybe I would not want to eat any fish, crab, shrimp... when in Asia. Then again the same stuff is also exported world wide!

i really don`t see why every one is going on about ``remains``...as divers,we all know what has happened to said...eaten....so you are not going to find body parts!!!as to eating the fish...well,i don`t eat anything from the sea anyway...i don`t eat my friends...plus,as a diver i want my fish alive in the ocean,...not dead on my plate..i`ve been to many places where there is nothing to see...all destroyed and over fished

davidlkh:
3000 km or about 2000 mile distance from the affected area in super rich waters would result in bare bones sinking to the bottom of the ocean in a very short time.

Perhaps if somehow a "remanant" got caught on an oceanliner incased in a plastic bag and was dragged to Bali then maybe it would happen. If no plastic bag, the water pressure would tear off what remaining soft rotting tissue there is.

A legitamate excuse maybe I would not want to eat any fish, crab, shrimp... when in Asia. Then again the same stuff is also exported world wide!

In Asia along the coast, a large part of the local diet and food offered to guest has some derivation of seafood. Part of the culture.

So after the Tsunami some Chinese have begun to avoid sea food for awhile at least.

This is indeed a philosophical issue which I have not been able to resolve. We are on, and part of, a self-sustaining planet. Can we rise on an evolutionary level to a another plane where we are not dependent upon other life to sustain ours?

pinkone:
just got back from bali...and i`ve never seen an emptier place....club med only 200 out of a possible 1000,my hotel the aston bali.30% some totally empty....so,go now..tons of special offers to be had!!!and NO effects from the tsunami!!!best dive were out at NUSA PENIDA...clear drift dives,and TULAMBEN for the liberty wreck....some good stuff in NUSA DUA...not great viz,but tons to see...shallow,uncomplicated dives....lots of ribbon eels,giant squid,to play with,a baby white tip asleep in a cave....very healthy corals...dove with YOS MARINE ADVENTURES...padi 5 * and very proffessional :dazzler1:

What kind of deal did you get in Bali? How expensive was the diving?

i agree that a trip to a book shop or library is in order...bali is nowhere near the areas affected by the tsunami...no disease...no problems...and as i said before,...the country is empty!!!not because of the tsunami,but people are still remembering the bomb over 2 years ago...if that was relevant, new york would be empty,and so would the u.k.,...with all the ira stuff we had to put up with for years...if you want to go...GO :11:

I was in Pemutaran Bali mid March.

The place was about 15% full (all 4 resorts combined).

Dive boat hardly used.

Great for me getting all the personal attention (resort and dive center) at low low prices.

Zeamonkey:
What kind of deal did you get in Bali? How expensive was the diving?
my hotel and flights were sorted from the uk...3 weeks for price of 2...so good...the diving with yos marine,was aranged separately...i got 2 tank dive,plus lunch for $55 per day..that was negotiating a discount...plenty looking for customers,but most were not willing to negotiate...lots of beach dive vendors...silly prices!!!ie;$95!!!with no luinch,or extras...also,paying with a credit card,came cheaper once back in the uk..

I just got back from Bali and do I have a great time there :bogey::57:
my only regret is I'm there for a short period and I only managed to dive at tulamben and Nusa Penida :banghead:

BUT guess what,we had mantas sighting at manta point of Penida island at this time of the year :05: It's my 1st sighting of these gentle giant since I started diving 2+ years ago.

The marine life there is just as good as Sipadan and I can't wait to get back to bali in near future. :eyebrow:

The marine life there is just as good as Sipadan
Admittedly, it's been a while for me, but Sipadan has been degraded quite a bit over the last 10 years if this is true.

Back
Top Bottom