Bali or Malapascua?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bali has more infrastructure(pro) - more tourism (con).

Mlpscua has great atmosphere, laid back people, no aggressive touts, great variation of diving (but some is 'advanced' when the current is running.

My money on Mpascua. 2 weeks for me there is about right.

Some divers don't like visiting the same sites. These people often talk about 'doing Thailand' or 'doing the Great Barrier Reef'. In reality, diving the same site (even hours apart) provides a unique angle due to sunlight/current/profile etc. I quite enjoy diving 3-4 times on the same site for this reason; you get to 'know' the site and can modify your approach to make it better each time. I'm also in to u/w photos so I consider that when wanting to get the 'perfect shot'.
I completely agree with your comment that i would much prefer to dive a good dive site many times, rather than go to a mediocre location for new dives. I have dove the liberty wreck in tulamben probably 10 times, but I once got in the water before 6:00am and it was a completely different dive. White tips swimming by, schools of humphead parrotfish and most importably, not another sole in the water, it felt like a new dive, especially because the light was different as the sun was just coming up.
I would have to disagree with your comment that the currents make diving more challenging in malapascua. I would consider Bali more challenging diving, but with both I guess it depends where you are diving. Tulamben may be very easy, (although I always hate that entry on the rocky beach), but Nusa Penida has currents that can really move. Malapascua seems much easier to me (atleast the week i was there), although Gato Island could get a decent current.

Having spent a couple of years on Malapascua, I'd agree that the currents there are pretty mild. They seldom get strong enough to warrant changing a divesite...

I have been working in both Malapascua and Bali. Its true Malapascua has a guaranteed sighting of Thresher sharks and some Manta, but not a lot else; Well not as much as Bali. Also divers in Bali have seen Threshers on occasion, but not as close and not as many of them.

Bali offers a fantastic range of dive sites offering everything from the rarest and most unusual macro subject in the calm water of the north to the large pelagic sites of south Bali with its raging currents. As well as a huge array of macro subject the north of Bali is home to two fantastic wrecks. The Kubu wreck is relatively new, having been purposely sank a coupleof years back and the USAT liberty, which is possibly one of the most famous wrecks in this part of Indonesia and is sprawling with life. Most of the divesites in the north are relatively calm and can be accessed from the shore. The other big attraction to Bali is the island of Nusa Penida with is accessed from the south of Bali and is home to many of our oceans large pelagic life such as Manta Rays, Sunfish and the occasional waleshark. Prices for diving in Bali can be very variable. In the north of Bali prices are relatively cheap, but however there is no local airport so divers will need to get a 3 hour transfer from the south. Nusa Penida in the south is approximately a 45 minute boat journey from the resort of Sanur and a two dive package can cost your $120 upward. As wellas fun diving, many dive centers offer the full range of courses from beginnerlevel, right up to Instructor. Courses can be more expensive than other locations,but there are some very experienced and well established dive operators there.

Last edited:
I have been working in both Malapascua and Bali. Its true Malapascua has a guaranteed sighting of Thresher sharks and some Manta, but not a lot else; Well not as much as Bali. Also divers in Bali have seen Threshers on occasion, but not as close and not as many of them.

Bali offers a fantastic range of dive sites offering everything from the rarest and most unusual macro subject in the calm water of the north to the large pelagic sites of south Bali with its raging currents. As well as a huge array of macro subject the north of Bali is home to two fantastic wrecks. The Kubu wreck is relatively new, having been purposely sank a coupleof years back and the USAT liberty, which is possibly one of the most famous wrecks in this part of Indonesia and is sprawling with life. Most of the divesites in the north are relatively calm and can be accessed from the shore. The other big attraction to Bali is the island of Nusa Penida with is accessed from the south of Bali and is home to many of our oceans large pelagic life such as Manta Rays, Sunfish and the occasional waleshark. Prices for diving in Bali can be very variable. In the north of Bali prices are relatively cheap, but however there is no local airport so divers will need to get a 3 hour transfer from the south. Nusa Penida in the south is approximately a 45 minute boat journey from the resort of Sanur and a two dive package can cost your $120 upward. As wellas fun diving, many dive centers offer the full range of courses from beginnerlevel, right up to Instructor. Courses can be more expensive than other locations,but there are some very experienced and well established dive operators there.

Is there a dive shop you recommend or ones to avoid? You can PM me if you prefer...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom