Bali or Mactan (Cebu/Philipines)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hogge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I have still not decided where to go for Christmas & NewYear (21st Dec - 4th Jan)
Now we are looking at Bali or Cebu (Mactan)

Any recommendations?
Any pro/con?

We are a party of 5 but only 2 divers. On person (non diver) has problems with walking.

We are looking for a good hotel and good diving.
How is the diving in Bali or Cebu?
How is the weather during this period?

Are there wrecks not too deep?
Is there a possibly of a 3 days liv aboard so I can have some time of from the rest :)

Thank you for all help.
Hogge

I'd go Bali myself... Great diving, diverse... Good for culture too - Ubud... You can move around too - Lembongan, Padangbai, Tulamben and more... For Lembongan check out Big Fish.

Definitely Bali if it were only Mactan on Cebu that you were considering...Mactan has really mediocre diving...if you were thinking about taking in Malapascua or Moalboal on Cebu or nearby Bohol or Dumaguete you'd have far better diving. It will the rainy season in Bali, but nothing that should hold you up from diving and otherwise enjoying your holiday. I'd say there is far more to do after/instead of diving for you and your friends in Bali. You can dive Nusa Penida and make sure you take a couple of days to dive around Tulamben (wreck of the Liberty, etc.)

Even if you throw Dumaguete into the mix (Mactan + Dumaguete vs Bali), I'd still opt for Bali. Perhaps the best shallow wreck dive in the world is a short swim from Tulamben's shore and a short walk along the rocky beach from the Mimpi Tulamben, where I stay. There are a lot of liveaboards that embark from Bali, but the ones I am familiar with are week-long trips to Komodo. Topside activities in Bali blow away most destinations, so your non-divers will appreciate it more. You will be coming during the wet season, but it's not that bad. I like diving the wet season because it's cheaper and less crowded, but unfortunately neither will be the case on your dates.

Dumaguete is nice for macro photographers, but so is Bali. Mactan diving is mediocre, based on my one trip. Flying into Mactan is easy, but getting to Dumaguete and many of the other good Philippines options can be an exercise in patience. Flying into Bali is easy, but there too you will have a few hours drive to get to the north shore, or a car + ferry to dive Lembongan.

PM QUERO if she doesn't chime in here—she's a wealth of information, and might suggest options you haven't yet considered.

It's definetly Bali. Cebu just doesn't compare. Bali has more of everything, but will be more expensive because of the holiday. I am going to Bali in September again, this time we are also flying to Flores to do a four night Komodo liveaboard. Cebu has some great diving close by, but it takes a while to get places, take the same time on a short flight in Indonesia and u have some of the best diving in the workd

Bali and Mactan are not in the same league. Mactan is okay for diving if you have no time and jump quick in the water after arriving by plane but there is absolutly no reason to go to Mactan only for diving. If you go to Cebu City, go ahead to Malapuasca, Moalboal or Dumaguete/Negros.

There is a question if you go there or to Bali. Nice diving there and cheaper as Bali.

Why would you want to take some time off from your travelling companions? What do they think about that?
If I travel with friends for holiday I would prefer to spend as much time with them as possible. Otherwise I will do it alone.
Bali has plenty of top side attractions and the non-divers would be well taken care of. As for the divers, the dive sites are scattered around and need time to get to. So the two groups won't have too much time together before evening meal!
Philippines has plenty of excellent diving spots. But it does not has any really interesting top side attraction for non-divers when compare with Bali.

Philippines has plenty of excellent diving spots. But it does not has any really interesting top side attraction for non-divers when compare with Bali.

I agree, Mactan has absolutly no points of interest. But I disagree, that the Philipinnes have no points of interest.

I cant compare it with Bali/Indonesia, because i ve never been there, but the Philippines have nice beaches, mountians, vulcanos, nice small islands as well.

You can have a nice holiday in the Philippines, but maybe not on Mactan...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom