Bali -- Liveaboard or Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bevanson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We're thinking to plan a trip for next May/June to Indonesia, and are wondering whether we should stay top-side in Bali and do day trips or whether it would be better to hop on a liveaboard. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I think top-side is better, because:

- the dive sites are close/not too far from the shore, many dive sites are even accessible from the shore, no need to hop on a boat.
- roads are relatively good, and Bali is small enough to make day trips possible.
- there is plenty of dive operators organising dive trips to all the corners of Bali, based on your preferences (where you stay, where and how many days you want to dive, etc.), if you want they combine it with top-side sightseeing).
(I have never done this kind of dive safari trip myself, but a few other Indonesia sub-thread regulars, sure they'll post soon their recommendations/experiences.. )
- on a LOB you'd miss the people/culture/food/nature of Bali (just don't go to the South, that's not Bali really...)

- the dive sites are close/not too far from the shore, many dive sites are even accessible from the shore, no need to hop on a boat.
- roads are relatively good, and Bali is small enough to make day trips possible.
- there is plenty of dive operators organising dive trips to all the corners of Bali, based on your preferences (where you stay, where and how many days you want to dive, etc.), if you want they combine it with top-side sightseeing).
(I have never done this kind of dive safari trip myself, but a few other Indonesia sub-thread regulars, sure they'll post soon their recommendations/experiences.. )
- on a LOB you'd miss the people/culture/food/nature of Bali (just don't go to the South, that's not Bali really...)

Fully agree - You even have great shore dives in Bali, so why go Live aboard ? The only advantage I can see is avoiding the speed boat rides to Penida.

I fully agree! esp about south bal :)

Bali itself can be dived nicely from shore, but a liveaboard originating or ending in Bali with 4 or 5 days left over might be the best plan. I flew to Bimi and sailed back through Komodo National Park, arriving in Bali 10 days later. I have also dived Bali alone, on other trips, from accommodations in Menjangan, Tulamben, and from the touristy Nusa Dua hotels. Skip the Nusa Dua/Kuta/Jimbaran area unless you really need another Hard Rock Cafe t-shirt, but don't ignore the good diving off Nusa Penida. Those other spots along Bali's north shore make for a great dive vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom