Bali Help Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My recent trip was a big family invasion - 10 people - of whom 4 were divers. Ages from 83 down to 14 and only my wife and I had been there before. The trip was 12 days and if I remember I booked 4 days of diving (one days was combined snorkeling/dive for everybody) and 3 days of combined group sightseeing when we were all together. The rest of the days were filled in by the other group members as desired. Some went on the Volcano hike, one day a group went to Nusa Penida for a tour; rice paddy hikes around Ubud; and shopping excursions. The week filled up pretty fast and the pace was flexible enough so that the younger set kept busy and us older folks did not get burnt out.

We based in Sanur which worked out great for all the things we wanted to do. I set up the dive arrangements with aquamarine prior to our arrival and they were excellent in terms of organizing our day trips and getting rental gear coordinated. They can organize dive safaris as mentioned previously but that did not fit our profile. I recommend you check out their website to investigate the dive sites and pricing. They were very responsive by email so you can get questions answered in a day. However the entire group had a great trip and everybody's needs were taken care of. AquaMarine offered an afternoon dive for an additional charge and one day we dove Tulamben at night as well during the full moon. That was awesome. You could turn your lights off and see pretty well. The phosphorescence is fun too when you wave your hands about. A very long day but worth it.

I like travel as much as diving so that balance worked for me and everyone else. My daughters and I usually dive in the Caribbean yearly so diving Indo with them was great. The Manta Rays off Nusa Penida were a big hit and although the water was too warm for Molas I had seen them before. It is important to have some light days too - the heat and humidity will beat you down a bit and there is the infamous gut issues you get when you travel halfway around the world. Check the dive operators for their scheduling too. For the NP dives Aquamarine left an hour before everybody else since it was slack tide and they could assess the dive sites and move to an alternate if necessary. We did not have to change sites but we dove Manta Point alone and when we came up there were 5 boats putting in divers. Crystal Bay had 10 boats sitting around so it does get crowded. Not quite Cozumel though.

Just remember that there is so much to see and do on the island that just treating it as a dive destination would be a disservice. Just driving down any road you will see house temples; village temples and regional temples - all with different stonework and layouts. I don't think you can go more that 5 minutes without seeing something interesting in a car.

I hope this helps. All this is pretty subjective but I planned all of the July trip and left enough space for people to improvise on the spot and that worked out pretty well. I did try to alternate days where heavy hiking/diving was followed by full day sightseeing in the van which allowed some rest. I can't over emphasize checking the Internet for what is there and finding out what really appeals to you and your group and then start the itinerary from there.

I can also give a thumbs up to Sanur. It's quieter than Kuta but still has lots of options for dining, shopping , etc. We enjoyed walking around in the evening and along the shoreline. It's also closer to Ubud and east coast sites than Kuta. You will enjoy this location.

Hi Bill & Bali1,

I sent you both PMs - I think I did it correctly. Let me know if you didn't get them.

Thanks,
cruzbound

My experience...

When it comes to mixing divers and non divers in Bali, or any part of Indonesia for that matter, compromise has to be a huge part of the equation. The bottom line is areas where you want to dive off Bali are pretty remote and rural. If you stay in areas where the non-divers will be happiest you will necessitate hours of time in a van and/or boat crossing big water. If you stay in diving areas, the non divers might start to grumble as there ain't much else to do. Perhaps consider splitting up for a few days: the non divers in Seminyak or Sanur (depending on how much they like a party-party atmosphere), and the divers to Lembongan to get the most out of the amazing water around Nusa Penida such as Crystal Bay and the manta sites. Then y'all can meet up later in Seminyak, Ubud, Ulawatu, or Nusa Dua. Amed is another option for a night or two if the non divers want some downtime in rural Bali with a few fun places to go out for dinner and there is great diving nearby.

You might also research taking four or so days in the Gili Islands- Gili Tranwangan to party or Gili Air to have some fun but also chill. Gili Air is one of my most favorite places in Indonesia...especially when traveling with non diving friends. There is a ton for everyone to do, including decent diving. One can do a morning dive at 8 AM, be back by a little after 10, and spend the rest of the day chilling on the beach, stand up paddle boarding, doing yoga, etc... The Gili Islands are a special place void of cars, motorbikes, and honestly much more of what I pictured Bali to be before I moved to Indonesia.

All this being said, when I read your first few posts I thought about Fiji: half your time in Pacific Harbor and the other half on an outer island such as Kandavu.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Having done both Bali us a good spot for diving and non diving activities. I will add some info on non diving later when not posting from a phone.

Hi Cruzbound, as have many on this board, I have been to Indo/Bali several times over the years. I have always used Aquamarine Diving to plan out my trips - usually longer than yours and including Bali as well as outside Bali. They are very professional, very helpful and prompt via email. It looks like you need exactly what I needed on my fist trip - you tell them what you are looking for, they will help you figure things out, back and forth emails until you are happy. Tell them your general budget, likes, dislikes, preferences etc. They'll organize the hotels, transport, diving etc. I'm not shilling for them, I'm sure there are other outfits as well, but I have been very satisfied with them.

Regarding Bali itself, I've always said Bali is great for land based as well as ocean based. But you have a group of 4, with 2 non-divers. Hah! I echo everything Matts1w says in post 24 about Bali. But I suspect that will be an issue almost everywhere you go. But since you are willing to split up, I think it will work out fine.

Bali is great for diving and don't forget about their macro/muck diving. Mola mola season may be just beginning. In Tulamben, the Liberty wreck is one place snorkelers as well as divers can go to (broken down and spread out, so no penetration, but a great site for 2-3 dives by itself if you have the time). For the divers, I recommend moving about. There is good diving in the north, east and south. West is the very busy, touristy area (and surfing, I think). Ubud, the place people go to for their "culture fix", is more central. But trying to stay in one place and commuting every day to the diving areas is a bad idea. You will leave at the crack of dawn and spend hours in the transport. Recommended only if one is doing a day or two of casual diving, and don't really want to maximize your time. Since you are going there to dive, stay 2-3 nights in the north, 2-3 nights in the east, 2-3 nights in the south. Don't worry about packing/unpacking. The diving gear goes in the back of the van - the crew will take care of it all.

Bali is terrific, you'll have a lot of fun, good choice for your first trip to those parts. It is well set up for tourism, it is the lifeblood of the island and they have been at it for a few decades (but don't expect Hawaii !), excellent service, very friendly. As someone mentioned, get a local SIM card (available at the airport) for one of your (unlocked) phones and you will be set for a very reasonable price. Wifi is generally available most places you will go to, speeds good enough for email and light browsing. If you are determined to be a picky eater (haha), food in the north (more so) and in the east (less so) may be challenging, but I hope you don't let that slow you down. Tulamben/Liberty wreck are in the east and you must dive there, picky eater or not. Food in the south and central will be fine, and in the touristy west - no problem. Getting snacks in local shops is not a problem - chips, cookies, candy bars etc.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom